iLife upgrade question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by countach, Jan 4, 2007.

1. countach macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2006
    I just bought a Mac, which of course includes iLife as part of the OS. How does it work with upgrades? When I upgrade to the next version of OS-X will I get any available iLife updates too because it is part of the OS? Or is upgrading iLife a separate cost? I noticed on another site that Apple is going to upgrade iLife at Macworld.
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    iLife is not a part of the OS.

The most current version of iLife (2006) is offered free with a new Mac, when a new version of iLife comes out if you want to upgrade you have to shell out the money (although you can choose not to and just stick with the one you've got). iLife last year cost $119 (US$79) for the newest version and it will probably be the same this time.

iLife '07 is pretty much a surety for release at MWSF next week.

You receive free upgrades to iLife so long as they are within the same version number so you have iPhoto 6 now, any updates starting with 6 will be free but it's gonna cost you to get version 7.

Same thing with OSX 10.5. You have 10.4 now, anything within the 10.4 range will be free for you to download but you'll have to pay if you want 10.5, Leopard is predicted to cost the same as the Tiger upgrade did so $199 (US$129) which is pretty good all things considering.
  3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    The iLife 07 upgrade will be a separate cost (probably around $80).