iLife?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frankf300, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Well I got my first Mac now after doing a bit of research, thanks to the people on this forum. So far I'm extremely happy with my purchase, soooo much better than my PC. It may be an older iBook G3. but I think it's a lot better than my old laptop. Now, my question. I want to get iLife, mostly for some light editing in iMovie and iPhoto. As far as I know, iLife 06 is out of the question because I have a G3. So. what version would you reccomend I get, iLife 04 or 05? Based on the specs that are in my sig. Of course, I want it to run as smooth as possible.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd personally say just be nice to your budget and buy a copy of iLife 05 for the $20 or whatever it sells for. :)

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

herem are the system requirements for 06 05 and 04.

looks like 04 may be a safe bet, as 05 requires a G4 or advanced photo editing in iPhoto.

edited to add:
    also pay attention to the OS. What are ya running on that little beauty?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iLife '05 is the last version of iLife that will run on a G3 - it's a shame because iPhoto 6 is soooo much faster.

Ah well, '05 is still pretty good.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I know I have iWork '06 on a 350mhz G3 iMac... and I'm pretty sure I must also then have iLife '06. Are you sure about those specs? Have you tried it?

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Both iLife '06 and iWork '06 do not support the G3 so unless you have modified the installer package (the software does run but there's a thing in the installer that checks your hardware) then you may be mistaken.

Both screenshots from Apple's official iLife '06 and iWork '06 pages:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I did not modify the installer, but what I did do was I had put the iMac G3 hard drive into a G4 tower to install the software because my iMac does not have a DVD drive. Once I put the hard drive back into the iMac, the software runs fine (useable and everything). That must be what happened, the installer checks for a G4 but not the software itself.

Can anyone else verify this so I don't sound crazy?

My iMac is a 350mhz Indigo AGP model with 512mb RAM and Tiger.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well there's your answer. You didn't install it on a G3 machine, you installed it on a G4 and as such satisfied the system requirements. The software does run on G3s, that was never in doubt - it just won't install on a G3 nor does Apple support it running on a G3.

9. Frankf300 thread starter macrumors regular

Frankf300

I've been doing some more thinking about this after talking to some other people about this. I've heard that iMovie 4 would be a little slow on my system, especially rendering. I started thinking of getting iLife 03, because I really wouldn't need Garage Band. Mostly I need iMovie and iPhoto. Would going to a later version help the situation at all? Figure I was pretty happy with Windows Movie Maker on my PC, though I did eventually buy Adobe Premiere Elements, which is the home user edition of Premiere Pro. Maybe even something as old as iMovie 2? I'm really not sure what will run pretty smooth on my system. I want something that will run pretty smoothly on my system, but at the same time have some decent features at least.. Any suggestions?

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Doesn't matter which version of iMovie you use, it's going to be slow on a G3 - it's a limitation of the processor rather than the program you use. The G3 is fine for day-to-day tasks but slow for processor-heavy tasks like movie rendering and encoding. I would go with iMovie 4 or 5 to ensure you're getting the most up to date (ie least number of bugs) version of the program.