Ill. governor wrestles with a Nation of Islam official on his hate crimes commission

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This just hasn't been Gov. Blagojevich's year. First he gets his head messed with on The Daily Show, and now this:

No, but she's apparently supporting somebody who does.

I think the Jewish and gay lawmakers are perfectly within their rights to ask her to declare whether her allegience is to Farrakhan's principles or the commission's. If she refuses to disavow Farrakhan -- essentially saying, "Hey, I just work there" -- then that certainly validates Blagojevich's right to boot her off the commission.

Even if she does disavow Farrakhan, her presence could still be a problem, though. She did, after all, invite other commissioners to one of Farrakhan's speeches. After doing something like that, it's hard to credibly claim that you're racially tolerant. Also, Ms. Muhammad is referred to in the story as an "official" of Nation of Islam, not just an office functionary.

Better still, I think, Blagojevich could conceivably extricate himself from this situation by disbanding the commission (since it's already so fractured) and appointing a new one, with a number of brand new members...and without Ms. Muhammad.

I do think he'd have to consult with and satisfy prominent African-American leaders so as to give them a satisfactory presence on any new commission...and perhaps he should vet his candidates a little more thoroughly this time. ;)

Link

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm confused. It's OK to say Hollywood 'liberals' are promoting homosexuality and other filth, but you can't say Hollywood 'Jews' are doing the same thing? Why is the perjorative against one OK, and the other a reason for a huge firestorm?

Would this woman be in trouble if she was associated with the Concerned Women for America, noted for their flirtations with racism?

I'm not endorsing what she says or who she associates with, I'm just curious.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It's not really an accurate analogy. The Nation of Islam is a hate group in disguise as a religious body. It's like if the KKK became a religion. I've said this before, but Chicago (home of the NoI) is the most racist city that I've lived in (and the majority of the racism isn't coming from the whites ;) ;) )

Another point I want to make is that the NoI has nothing to do with Islam. It's whole founding is in contradiction to Islam's premise that God will never come in the form of Man. If you leave the organization after realizing how crazy it is, prepared to get assassinated.

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Because referring to Hollywood "Jews" is a racial slur, and Hollywood "liberals" is not.

Stereotyping liberals is still okay. ;) :rolleyes:

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Liberal elite is just another term for Jew, because you can't just say Jew. Look what happens if you do say it. Same with Dredd-Scott. It's code. What's sad, is that most of the people saying it don't even realize what they're implying.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The longer Blagojevich is in office, the more I don't like him. Believe it or not, I'll vote for the Republican, Judy Baar Topinka, if she's nominated.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

why her?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sad to say, i've been paying way more attention to national politics than state, so i'm a little clueless on what rod's done. so i looked at your link and his page, and found a number of discrepancies about his record. most notably, this:

i don't know who's right.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- who knows? Politicians. :rolleyes: