I'll never be able to post....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FXRS, Feb 5, 2007.

1. FXRS macrumors newbie

FXRS

In the O.T. forum where religion, social news, and other things are posted. :(

I'll probably never have a 100 post count. Why is it locked up like that? I can understand you will get trolls, but I'm pretty new to Apple so more than likely won't have alot to say in the Apple specific threads to get up to 100 posts.

If it is to stop trolls it kind of silly. You are gonna get them anyways.

Just a little rant. :D

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Well there is the current events and community discussion where you can become part of the community

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Pshaw - at your current rate it will only be a measly 10 years or so, and then you'll be able to post. ;)

If you're really that interested in political discussions, you should probably find a forum that caters specifically to that and doesn't have the limitations. This has been discussed ad naseum in the past here, and probably doesn't need to be rehashed.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You got it: trolls...

This is a mac forum, which happens to include a section about politics...this is because many people respect the opinions of other members...

A worry is that without the limit, people would come to the forum and not talk about macs at all, just ruin the experience for others. Religion is a discussion meant to be had with those whose opinions you respect, not some newbie whose intelligence and common sense levels you have no way of judging.

Remember that a lot of people on these forums (myself included) got macs after joining and are now of higher status than newbie, I guarantee that you'll reach 100 posts in no time. I mean, you can talk about your experiences with the iPod (if you have any) and your opinion on new products like the iPhone.

Good luck at MR!

EDIT: See my signature for my opinions...

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

100 posts may sound like a lot, but it really isn't. If you are new to Apple products (more specifically the iPod or OS X) it shouldn't be long before you have a few questions or maybe even a problem or two in which case you can create threads about them and learn a few things as well as generate a decent post count. You'll be there before you know it.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to MR. :)

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It really does not take as long as it seems like it will to get that many posts, and welcome to MR.:)

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It took me well over 2 years to get to 500 posts. By that time I'd forgotten what I was going to use as my avatar, so now I have a car.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A little history. The Politics forum had a huge problem with trolling a few years ago, before the 100-post minimum was established. New members would join just for the purpose of arguing (as distinguished from debating). Many trolls were banned, but they often rejoined under a new name in a matter of days if not hours. It was getting out of hand.

One area where I don't entirely agree is that this is by definition a Mac forum that just happens to have a political board. You might say as much about the community forum (which has no posting threshold). A person could easily participate very heavily in this forum without ever discussing Mac issues. I imagine quite a few do just that.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think I should have said Apple forum, as I feel that most discuss apple's products. Some members are more active in the other areas of the forum, but I think that first and foremost, this forum is for discussing Apple.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In theory. My point is, Apple/Mac discussion isn't really a prerequisite. The discussion of topics not-Apple are only discouraged on the politics section. I understand why, but I don't think it's entirely due to the nature of the boards being "first and foremost" about the Mac and Apple. If that was the case, then posting in the community section would be equally discouraged.

11. FXRS thread starter macrumors newbie

FXRS

Thanks for the replies.

First off I did join because I did recently get a Macbook Pro, not to get into political debates. I usually don't ask alot of questions because I am the type to read and search first. Learned that from using Linux for several years. Just easier to google or search a forum that it is to ask questions and wait. lol

As far as problems with the new Macbook I hadn't had any yet. Well only one thing and that was getting my printer which is on the Netgear print server to be seen by this laptop. I did start a thread over at dslreports, atm, but didn't really get an answer that helped me. So I went back to googling only using a different phrase this time in the search. I was able to come up with this.... http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L317 which worked like a charm. :D

Also being pretty much "new" to apple/mac I wouldn't hardly give myself enough credit to actually be able to help someone else. Also there are just so many different times you can say in different threads how good your Mac experience is without it getting old. lol

Its just that when I see a good O.T. discussion going on I like to get in on it with my $0.02 worth. (Not worth much more than that though. lol )

12. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

It's not only the newbies whose intelligence and common sense I have no way of judging...;) :p

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

We'd also had the problem with Marketplace where some people just came to sell or scam. Someone was banned temporarily recently from activity in the Photography section who didn't seem to have any interest in Macs at all.

I can't imagine that people are so desperate to alienate everyone in the world.

14. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Not to worry - you will quickly find that you'll have something to contribute, maybe not on the mac or os x immediately, but there will be opportunities for you to help someone somewhere.

And welcome aboard! ;)

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Contribute yes, will it be worthy posts, that is to be determined.;)

16. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

wax on, wax off daniel son, then you will know the meaning of posting.

never seen anything in that forum worth complaining... i mean posting about anyway.

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

And we'd really appreciate it if you made at least 50 posts, not like some newbies who made 1 post in 2002, taking up usernames... Just a thought.:)

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Somehow I don't think that his name is really in high demand.;)

19. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

As others have suggested, the Community Discussion forums aren't necessarily mac-centric... Lots of threads about TV shows, movies, sports, dating, etc. There are also forums for music discussion, games, photography, and current events (non-political). Plenty of ways to contribute without ever mentioning Macs or iPods.

Have fun.

20. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I really feel for you, FXRS. No one should have to suffer needlessly like you my friend. The world is cruel, just plain cruel.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The world isn't cruel, only the people on MacRumors that like to sit and watch the weak suffer -- and occasionally poke them with a stick.

If you have problems posting now, just wait until you get into the political forum where you'd be a light snack for them.

You got my vote for the moderator post inflation to get you in.

I want to see the real cruelty begin.

:D

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm willing to loan 100 posts to FXRS so that he may post in the Politics forum.

I charge 15% interest per annum.

23. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

1. You can reply in every thread with 'I don't know, but I'll ask for you' or with something like 'Where did you get this info from' or even 'thank you & a smile'

2. You can reply to each person separately thanking them.

3. You can open stupid thread like 'How can I switch my laptop without using a battery & without an electric cord or even?' or 'When is G5 Powerbook coming?' :p

4. You can post your desktop wallpaper everyday. This will add up to 30 per month + google for cool pictures & add them to February pictures thread. :D

5. You can answer people question even if you don't really know it and then discuss how stupid they are giving fake information. :eek:

6. Praise :apple: or show your frustration at MicroZift where ever necessary. It's never too little in this forum.

7. Do what I am doing now. Instead of editing my post, I am typing a new one.

8. Ask Mad Jew for a change. If you take 100 posts as a dollar, then I don't think he'll refuse to give you a few pucks as a charity to the poor.

P.S. Number 8 is the reason of this reply. :D

24. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

For the time being you could practice by arguing with an unyielding brick wall.

I usually find that to be excellent preparation for online political or religious debates.

25. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Speaking of MJ, WHERE IS HE?! It's been at least 20 seconds (more like 3 days) since he's been active!!! :eek: :eek: :apple:

Is this a record?