Illegal Immigrant deal imminent

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Link

Like all compromises, it won't please everyone but it seems workable.

The 2,000 fine would bring in about $14-20 billion. While it would certainly cover the cost of processing the applications, it seems an undue burden on those who are mostly making minimum wage.

I'm not sure what the point is of forcing them to return to a border check station? It seems pointless and likely to be just an additional expense to those who can afford it least.

The agriculture provision seems like a good thing, but as always the devil is in the details.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hm, interesting. perhaps my ex-girlfriend is going to get her citizenship after all...

btw, ugg, nice work on the subject :)

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I don't see the point of the differing length-of-stay provisions. Wouldn't that just encourage those who have been here for less than two years to stay off the books for another three years? I liked the original bill better, but I suppose you've got to appease the nutjobs.

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Umm, not:
    Blah, blah, blah.

5. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, what a mess. I don't think it was the best possible compromise, but it was workable. Now, they're all in for a real messy time. The issue is not going to go away and any more stringent approach is just going to fan the flames.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think it's better than deportation. My other half is an immigrant from England. He had a harder time gaining status than another person we know who walked here from Mexico. When our buddy got here he got a job in about 2 weeks. It took 4 years and two lawyers to get a job on our end. I'm sorry, but I feel this is fair. They work here, don't pay taxes, and somehow expect that it's ok.
    My father is a PO in juvenile hall and over 70% of his kids are illegal. They've murdered, robbed, sold drugs to other kids, hurt their parents, the list goes on and on. So I'm sorry if I sound like I don't care about their woes, but seriously, if they truly want to be in America then it's high time they pay their dues. I think this is a way better solution than kicking them out. It's their land too...but like citizens who work every day and pay taxes, they too should have to pay.

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

If it was harder for your other half to get papers than it was for the guy who walked over the border, wouldn't that point to the legalization process being too cumbersome, rather than the walking process being too easy?

I just don't understand where all this xenophobia is coming from. If people wanna come here to get better jobs (and they're certainly not here for the free healtcare :p ) why don't we let 'em? If there's somebody out there willing to work, why not let them work?

Are there bad apples? Sure there are, just as in any population. Shoot, if we're gonna get sanctimonious about criminals in society, the US locks up a greater percentage of it's population than any country on the planet.