Illegal Immigrants Are Bolstering Social Security With Billions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 4, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Disgusting that we're literally banking on their contributions while branding them criminals.
  3. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    After living in Arizona for 3 years, I must say that I don't think that the majority of illegals are paying social security or medicare taxes. I'd go as far to say that they don't pay taxes at all. Most appear to be paid under the table at the end of the day. Some may contribute because the employer is using a fake social security number etc, but I don't think that's the majority.
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Thank you, this is why the Republicans and Democrats refuse to act on this border problem because big business does pay these guys under the table just as it pays congress under the table to keep things as they are.
  5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    It's cheaper for most employers to pay taxes than it is to get caught employing illegals, especially in constructions, corporate farming, motels, food service etc. They'd be happy to hire legals but for the worst jobs most legal Americans simply aren't interested. Most under the table pay is from small, non-corporate business and individuals.

What this article didn't touch on is all the money paid in sales tax, fuel tax, excise tax, etc. Much less the boost they give to US businesses, especially Western Union, a company that derives a majority of its profits from cross border transactions.

It is sad that these people are supporting a system they'll never get to benefit from. The recent vigilante action in AZ only makes it clear that the US business community is not interested in stopping illegal immigration because it benefits greatly from those who have no voice. To a certain extent, we need this immigration. Look at those countries that have severely limited it, like Japan, Germany etc. Their pension programs are in serious trouble.
  6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    It doesn't matter whether the majority or a minority of the undocumented are paying Social Security taxes -- the numbers speak for themselves. Billions of their dollars are building up in the federal treasury.

I also suspect that the number of illegal aliens being paid "under the table" is lower than most people believe, because (1) it's illegal, and (2) the payments can't be recorded as legitimate business expenses. I also know that the under-the-table economy is far more than an illegal immigrant issue. If you pay a couple of guys in cash to mow-and-blow your yard, you have to know that money won't be reported as income -- the ethnicity, origin and immigration status of the workers notwithstanding. The fact is, a lot of casual labor is off the books, as is a lot of the income taken in by small businesses. How many people have a bad conscience or are mounting vigilante patrols over that?
  7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    Ah, yes! Cherchez le moolah!

So what's being said is that it's okay to bribe the US Gummint via its Social Insecurity System to be left alone to work in the US.

Since the money that goes into SS & Medicare goes into the general revenue fund as a "loan", this bribery helps reduce the deficit, no?

Trouble is, the net gain of the SS fund is not a lot larger than the state and local costs incurred as a result of the presence of the illegals. Hospitals, crime, etc.

Regardless, it's bribery. It doesn't matter if it's free travel for Tom Delay, or a drug smuggler's bribing of a Customs agent, or millions of illegals bribing the whole US Gummint. It's bribery.

Or does bribery of us all not count?

8. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    I have to agree with several other do illegal immigrants contribute to FICA/SS taxes if they have to Tax ID/SS number in the first place?
  9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    the article states that they have fake IDs. i don't think it's much of a leap in faith to think that SS cards w/ fake numbers are among those IDs. if a company is paying SS taxes, they need a SS # (real or fake) against which those taxes are paid, as you say.