Illinois school district to get approx 5400 iBooks

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iPC, Sep 10, 2003.

1. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

By fall 2004, each fourth- through sixth-grader in northwest suburban School District 54 will get an Apple iBook to use both in school and at home--about 5,200 computers total. The idea isn't to have the machines replace textbooks, pens and paper, but to use them as research and writing tools that will lead to students performing better on reading and writing exams.

http://www.suntimes.com./output/education/cst-nws-laptop08.html

Very cool to see that Apple is making serious inroads back into the education market. Let's hope this trend continue.

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Aaaaaaaagggh!!! Why? WHY? WHY am I not 10 years old and living in Illinois?!?! They're getting FREE iBooks! FREE!!

Curse them. Curse them.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Hmmmm....

Macs in the Midwest?!?!? :eek: :eek:

I'll be damned:eek: :eek: :eek:

I never thought that Macs would migrate in masse off the coasts. Next thing you know Apple will actually open a Retail Store within 7 hours of me here at Northwest Missouri State University. I can't wait! :rolleyes:

4. spinner macrumors regular

That's freakin awesome. Its things like this that will help Apple make a come back in the education market. :cool:

5. Independence macrumors regular

when i was in the 8th grade, the middle school purchased 30 blueberry clamshell ibooks. by the end of the school year, have of the ibooks were damaged (i saw one dropped twice in one day by the same clumsy student). im in the 11th grade now in a PC-centric high school (there are only a few macs, excluding the new ibooks). there was a recent purchase of new ibooks for research. i wonder how long they'll last considering all the computers in the school either don't work well because of being obsolete or because they get vandelized. :rolleyes:

6. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

And my school is buying these THIN computers that are running in 256 color mode and lag when scrolling down a text document...

only 2 years left of school :D

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

those northern illinois schools (especially northern chicago) are rich like that.

I've heard it from my friends, many of whom went to such schools...Since my university is just north of chicago (evanston), a lot of people went to suburban schools around chicago.

Frankly, I'm not surprised.

8. dynamicd macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm from a northern suburb of chicago. Not nearly as rich as some of them are, but still upper middle class. Anyways, all of the middle schools and high schools around here have terrific funding and technology. The middle school I went had a technology lab with lasers, aerodynamic tunnels, hydroponic labs and more. Schaumberg, the area that is receiving the ibooks, is a very nice area and is also home to the first apple store in illinois I believe.

9. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

We need one in Columbia.

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Why can't my school be this cool, I hate our PC loving Administrators. These people are so lucky, well good for them :)

11. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Maine did it, too.

I've only been here for a couple of months, but I know Maine 7th and 8th graders are doing the same thing.
    I think its the entire state, but not sure.

Nice to see Apple getting back into schools, especially younger when they have not been brainwashed into only using MS.