illuminated keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zipper1022, Nov 28, 2006.

1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

i know it wounds dumb but i just got my c2d mac book pro today and its awesome, the only feature i havent seen yet is the keyboard illumination. it says it will turn on in lowlight conditions but i had the thing in the darka dn nothign went on...

idk i tried ot push the f9 and f 10 buttons to get the light on but it just shows a no sign...

can someone help with this elementary problem
    hah

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

try pressing and holding F10 when you are in a dark environment (needs to be "on" AND in a dark room)

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

4. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

what slab tick?

5. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

thats pretty useful, does anyone know if it ever messed anyone computer up? Maybe im over reacting but i feel liek overriding the illumination isnt good for the machine...

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Not mine - no problems using Lab Tick. Besides the automatic brightness regulation is useless - at anything less than full blast illumination in most cases the MBP keyboard is even less legible than a regular white-on-black unbacklit keyboard in dim light.

Part of the reason why the illumination is there is because of the Apple 'form and coolness over function' silver colour of the keyboard - white or black, legends won't show up properly in dim light over that silver, there's not enough contrast. So it needs backlighting but the automatic brightness adjustment results in a dimmer-than-appropriate lighting. Lab Tick cures that and seems to be reliable.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I completely I agree with Sesshi. I use my PB in the dark only rarely, but it annoys me when the "illuminated" keyboard comes on and all of a sudden I can't see anything unless I pump it all the way up. It doesn't happen often enough that I've tried to find a solution though.