Illustrator 10/CS Pantone question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aricher, Aug 4, 2004.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    I have a weird question regarding CMYK readings of Pantone colors within Iluustrator 10 and CS. I have set some objects to Pantone specific colors. When I double-click on the color in the toolbar it gives me a CMYK reading of that color instead of the Pantone #. I can tell from my swatch palette that the color is still, in fact, a Pantone color. Now here's where it get's a bit weird... The CMYK readings I get in the toolbar are entirely different from the CMYK readings I get in the Color palette - what gives? Is it because CMYK has a greater gamut than the Pantone specific #? I would think that the CMYK readings within Illlustrator's Toolbar and Color Palette would all be the same but they're not - any ideas?
  2. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    I think you will be safe if, when you select the object of said color, the box in your swatch pallette of that color becomes highlighted, and if that swatch does indeed have the frame and triangle corner of a pantone. It's kind of confusing without seeing an example. All you really need to know is whether or not the pantone swatch in your pallette is highlighted when you have the color selected.
  3. Starwind macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Hi aricher. Are you adding the PMS colors to your color pallette by selecting them from the PMS library? I note that if I double click a PMS color I've added to the swatch pallette or in the tool bar it gives the CMYK percentages, but in the color window it shows the PMS color. When I run seps in a graphics publication, I'm getting the appropriate PMS color breaks.