Illustrator and InDesign CS2 Crop mark question

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by kitki83, Nov 6, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If I was to create a design in Illustrator CS2 and created the bleeds for that artwork then add the crop marks.Aterwards I bring that file (EPS) into InDesign CS 2 with PDF Preset to show bleed and bleed marks, will the PDF come out showing bleeds or just Live area. I am just wondering whether cropping in Illustrators CS2 is causing me not see the artwork when I convert it into PDF in InDesign CS 2

2. macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2006
    create the artwork in illustrator to the full dimemsions including the bleed... - create a new file in indesign that is the EXACT dimentions of the final design (minus the bleeds)

- import the artwork from illustrator.. - chances are you have a .125" (1/8th") bleed on all edges? - I believe you can click on the upper left corner of the page, and it will let you manually set the sizes for the new picture box - put in the size including the bleed.. after you find your artwork and import it - move the picture box -.125"x-.125" - this will now center your picture on the pageboard that is .25" smaller than the artwork..

when you export your PDF.. under 'crops and bleeds'- you can turn on crop marks.. and under bleeds.. you should be able to enter the amount of bleed you have set..- which is probably .125" on all dimensions.

hope that works
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2003
    Between a rock and a midget
    i know this sounds wierd, but Illustrator CS2 by default crops everything to the artboard when you save it. I don't know why, but it aggrevates the piss out of me, cause i've never worked on the artboard in my whole life. I always drew where ever, knowing i could crop it how i wanted in InDesign. things are changing.

So i agree with needlnerdz, make your Illy file the full size and then crop it down in InDesign for bleed.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the information.

I remember I had a way on dealing with this just that my computer got wiped soo i lost all my note on the little things I tend to fergot