Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BIGDON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I just purchased a new IMAC G5 along with an Epson CX4600 and the Adobe CS Collection. When I print through Photoshop and Preview the printer prints fine, but when I go through Illustrator CS it stops printing and the document does not go through. Does anyone have a suggestions.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
BIGDON said:
I just purchased a new IMAC G5 along with an Epson CX4600 and the Adobe CS Collection. When I print through Photoshop and Preview the printer prints fine, but when I go through Illustrator CS it stops printing and the document does not go through. Does anyone have a suggestions.
My suggestion is to do File > Page Setup and select the Epson as your printer.

spaz

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
san francisco, ca
me too...

i have the same problem, though with a Dual G5 and an Epson CX6600. Illustrator files head to the (correct) printer, and then just.... stop. won't print, no error message other than "job stopped". if i save it as a pdf, it prints fine. i can print from the rest of the CS applications fine... it's most puzzling.

BIGDON

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
spaz said:
i have the same problem, though with a Dual G5 and an Epson CX6600. Illustrator files head to the (correct) printer, and then just.... stop. won't print, no error message other than "job stopped". if i save it as a pdf, it prints fine. i can print from the rest of the CS applications fine... it's most puzzling.

Wow that's weird I'll try that saving as a pdf and then trying to print. I wonder if it's a bug in Illustrator did you update Illustrator to one of the new updates or you still use 11.0.0

matthewreid

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
I have the SAME exact problem. Did anyone ever find a fix? Indesign messes up just the same...

gangofone

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2005
Printing on a Epson CX4600 from Illustrator CS

The solution to the problem is this:

1. Make sure you have the printer listed in your "Printer List" within the OSX "Print Center."

2. Open up Illustrator CS document that you want to print.

3. Select from the menu File>Print.

4. When the "Print" box opens up, in the bottom left corner is the "Page Setup" button. Click on it.

5. You will get an error message that says "The Page Setup dialog box is provided by the operating system, blah, blah, blah..." There are two buttons in this dialog box, click the "Continue" button.

6. The "Page Setup" box will open. The second pulldown from the top is titled "Format for:" and in the pulldown it probably says "Any Printer." Click on the pulldown and select "Stylus CX4600." (p.s., I think when we set up our printers using the Epson installation CD, we got to name the printer ourselves, so this would probably say whatever you named your printer. I named mine "Stylus CX4600," so that's what it says in my pulldown.)

7. Click "OK"

8. When the "Page Setup" box closes, the "Print" box will still be open. DO NOT click on "Done," or you'll have to start all over again. Click on the "Print" button and go get a cup of coffee while your document prints.

9. The sucky thing is, you gotta do this every time you print a document.

Have a nice day!

Gang of One

slim

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
i've been having the same problem. this is what i found on adobe's website. i tried adobe's instructions and the instructions from the last post but it still won't print. anyone have any ideas of how to print something from illustrator?

Can't print to non-PostScript Epson printer from Illustrator or InDesign (CS, CS2 on Mac OS X)

Issue

When you try to print to a non-PostScript Epson printer from Adobe Illustrator or InDesign, the file appears in the printer's list of jobs, but one of the following problems occurs:

-- The file doesn't print.

-- The file disappears from the list of print jobs but doesn't print.

-- The file disappears from the list of print jobs and doesn't print, and the printer returns an error message, such as "Job Stopped."

Details

You are printing on Mac OS X v10.3.9 or earlier, or you are printing borderless from Mac OS X v10.4.2 or earlier.

Solutions

Do one or more of the following solutions:

Solution 1: Print with a page size other than borderless.

Illustrator CS, CS2 and InDesign CS, CS2 are unable to print borderless to some non-PostScript Epson printer models.

Important: Solutions 2 through 5 will not allow you to print borderless.

Solution 2: Upgrade to Mac OS X v10.4 .

For upgrade information, visit the Apple website at http://www.apple.com .

Solution 3: Choose Defined By Driver in the Print dialog box. (InDesign only on Mac OS X v10.3.9 or earlier)

1. In InDesign, choose File > Print.

2. Select Setup from the list on the left.

3. From the Paper Size menu, choose Defined By Driver, and then click Print.

Solution 4: Select the printer in the Page Setup dialog box. (Illustrator only on Mac OS X v10.3.9 or earlier)

1. In Illustrator, choose File > Print.

2. Click Page Setup in the bottom left corner.

3. Select Continue if the operating system returns a warning.

4. From the Format For menu, choose the Epson printer model, and then click OK.

Solution 5: Print the file as a PDF file. (Mac OS X v10.3.9 or earlier)

Convert the file to PDF, open the resulting PDF file in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader, and then print it. You can download the latest version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe website at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html .

To create a PDF file:

-- In Illustrator, choose File > Save As, choose Adobe PDF (pdf) from the Format menu, and then click Save.

-- In InDesign, choose File > Export, choose Adobe PDF from the Save As Type menu, and then click Save.

Background information

Illustrator CS, CS2 and InDesign CS, CS2 are unable to print borderless to some non-PostScript Epson printer models. There are incompatibilities between Illustrator CS, CS2 and InDesign CS, CS2 when printing to some non-PostScript Epson printer models on Mac OS X v10.3.9 or earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.