illustrator help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Dec 11, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay when using illustrator 8 how does one do the warp-bulge effect on a type.... its called a "warp-bulge effect" in illustrator 10... i know how to do it in illustrator 10 but how do i do it in illustrator 8... how do i do any of the warp option in 8 period?

2. gernb macrumors regular

effects on type aren't live in that version of illustrator...that means you'll probably have to convert type to outlines and then run the effect you want.

cheers.

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah ive done that... convert to outlines... but there is no "warp-bulge" option or is there?... how else can it be done?

thanks for your help.

right now im using someone else puter is on 0s9 using illustrator 8 *sigh*

ive tried checking out the manual but no luck.... unless im missing something.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There might not be a function in 8 to do what you want, you might have to try some of the other filters and maybe add a little elbow grease and manually move some points.

My suggestion would be to say I'll do it later, go home, tweak, convert to outlines and bring it back tomorrow. That will be less of a pain than doing it all by hand.

Good luck.

D

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

wow okay so im not jacked up. thanks. i assumed that i would have to do it by hands after awhile but i wasnt sure. now its confirmed. so ummm just for the record... how does one do it by hand? must be very labor intensive.

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ya I'm pretty sure they added those text warps in AI 10 (maybe 9)

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

it would be painful, one reason is that you have to convert to outlines the text in question and then move and adjust the splines for each point *by hand*. You're better off find somewith AI 10 or going to kinkos and spending 10 minutes to do it.

Good luck.

D

8. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

cool. yeah thanks duke man.

i have AI 10 on my puter... ill just take care of it there.

i never really encountered this problem until now... i started using AI on 8 but that was only for like 3 days... then i upgraded to 9. so i never really used AI 8 in depth.

i appreciate it.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

just don't forget to save it in AI 8 format! You'll need to convert to outlines as well.

D

10. non fiction macrumors newbie

There used to be a cool effect in 5.5 or 6 called 'free distort' It dissppeared in 8, and I have not seen a newer version. I was able to simple grab the plugin file from the 5.5 plugins folder and put it in the 8 plugins folder to get the function to work perfectly in 8.

If you can track down a the version 10 plugin, perhaps it will be backwards compatible and work with 8. I still don't think it would work with type though - maybe just outlines. The difference between 8 and 10 is vast. There have been heaps af additions and they all seem pretty complex in the type area anyway.

Good luck.