Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So for my illustrator class he wants to draw something. So i'm looking around my room for stuff to draw and i figured I would try and draw the Stanley Cup. Seems pretty simple.... wrong... so attached is what you can see on my attempt. What am I do wrong. I'm such a n00b at this.
Also my teacher showed us how to join two points like the black shape with a red boarder and combine the two so it will sorta make a crown shape. How would i do this. Its for a future project.
Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 104

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
If I understand what you're asking correctly with the crown, first select the two crowny shapes and pull up the Pathfinder palette. On the far left of the 'Shape Modes' line is the 'Add to shape area' button – click this and it will combine the two shapes into one. You can edit and separate them until you press the 'Expand' button on the right, this will permanently merge them.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
i see how it becomes one but my prof. did something where the red would disappear and it would blend together....
It was like something - object - path - join. but when i do it get an error message.
ps- what college prof. doesn't have an email address these days?

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
i see how it becomes one but my prof. did something where the red would disappear and it would blend together....
It was like something - object - path - join. but when i do it get an error message.
ps- what college prof. doesn't have an email address these days?

On the pathfinder filters the paths should intersect, hence the error messages. Once you have the filter work, you direct select:(the white arrow) the nodes you want to join, then hit command "J". that will join the empty path. ALWAYS HIT EXPAND BUTTON AFTER YOU USE THE PATHFINDER....this will give you the anchor points to 'join.' Alot of times you have to shift select each anchor point for the join to work. Hope that makes sense, I've had a few Miller's tonight.:D

raizzair

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
You need to outline the strokes on the crown object and then use the "add to shape area" on the pathfinder palette.

Object -> Path -> Outline Stroke

I believe this is what you were asking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.