Illustrator Woes

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Penman, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Penman macrumors regular

I'm using Illustrator 10.0.3 under Panther and the damn thing keeps crashing.

I'm an ex (wow I suppose that's true - I've not touched my PC since buying a Powerbook) PC user who never tolerated crashing on that platform (sorry Mac-borg XP's as stable as OSX in my experience). Why is this happening? I keep submitting reports and there are no updates for the program available from Adobe.

I'm not using huge files and my 17" 1Ghz PB has a gig of ram. Is there anything I can do or does Illustrator simply suck? I don't want to upgrade to CS for stability and I already have all the features I need.

Any ideas?

2. Pseudonym macrumors regular

I know this is no help, but I have had the same problem since going onto Panther. The thing nearly loads then quits.

I had a look on Adobe's site and could see no patches. I am not sure if this is a known issue.

3. davidh_la macrumors newbie

Sorry, dude.

You have to update to CS. It's amazing. Night and day compared to Ill 10.

Who cares about the new features? I sure don't. It's faster, it's cleaner, little things like all the palettes snap to the side of the screen. It's a lot more "pleasant" to work in.

4. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I've had no problems with illustrator 10 in panther.

Have you tried trashing your preferences?

Failing that i would just reinstall the program.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I had problems with Lightwave and Panther - turned out to be a videocard driver issue - you might want to see if there are any upgrades for the card and see if that works.

D

6. Penman thread starter macrumors regular

Thirteenva - got it.

Thanks. The Preferences seem to have fixed it. Now it's stable.

I do spank this notebook a little - running Safari, Mail, iTunes and Word constantly and then Illustrator on top if needed.

I really appreciate the help. Kudos.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You should get Desktop Manager, its a great way to organize things when you have a lot of apps open - http://wsmanager.sourceforge.net/

I've been using it for over a week now and have it on all my machines. :D

D

8. Engagebot macrumors regular

so you had Illustrator installed, then upgraded to panther?

I installed illustrator 10 onto my PB that shipped with panther, and i've had no problems. in fact, illustrator's just as crisp as my dual 3ghz PC.

9. Pseudonym macrumors regular

I guess you're talking to Penman, but I installed before upgrading. I've done the permission thing, but I think it is worth doing a reinstall judging by what is being written here.

The problem is I rarely use it and just haven't got around to sorting it out properly.

10. retrocool macrumors newbie

11. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Thanks retro. I've tried that now, but it still quits before it fully starts up. I've also done the permissions again, just to make sure. I think I'll do a reinstall - I guess the upgrade to Panther messed something up.

12. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

AGREED! I'm glad that you like Desktop Manager, Mr. Anderson. I really didn't expect such a huge response when I was writing up that topic. I also love that little app... I can't live without it, especially when I'm working on photos in photoshop.