I'm a...Flopper?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Abulia, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I just completed an order for a 17" iMac to serve as an "entry level" to hop on board the Apple bandwagon. (Yes, I know the iMac may get a refresh soon, driving down prices, but this was an opportunity purchase for right now.)

Anyhow, I'm a Regional IT Director for a Fortune 500 company, oversee the purchasing and running of over 1,000 PCs and own (does quick count) 5 of my own at home. Thus, I can't turn away from PCs/Windows entirely.

So, technically, I'm not a Switcher. Am I a Flip Flopper...or just a Flopper? :D

I'm already having some purchase anxiety but I'm hopeful that the iMac will fill a nice role for my wife and I. :)

One question (this may not be the right place), the iMac comes with 256MB and can address a total of 1GB. The unit has a one 184-pin DIMM (filled with 256MB?) and one open user-accessible SO-DIMM slot -- if one was to upgrade to a gig the 256MB would have to be removed and the 1GB stick would go...where? Is this something a complete Mac neophyte (me) could do?

Breath deeply...we're venturing into unknown territory... :eek:

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Check the memory upgrade page for iMac Flat-Panel out. Strange how the iMac uses the same RAM as iBook and PBs.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, first of all, welcome! I think you'll enjoy the iMac and OS X, and it'll make a nice addition to your household stable of computers.

Second, putting RAM into an iMac (I have an older 17" 800 MHz iMac in addition to a G5) is a piece of cake. The URL posted by FuzzyBallz duplicates info that will come with your iMac. As long as you guard against static (true for any work inside any computer, obviously!), it really couldn't be easier.

Third, since you ordered it with 256MB, you've got the following options:

(1) Buy a 512MB stick and move up to 768MB. For most users, this will be fine. Maybe not optimal, but really pretty good. This is likely your best bet. Mine runs fine with 512MB, although of course the heavy work is done with my G5.

(2) Do some surgery, remove the internal 256MB stick, and put in two 512MB sticks (one in the user-accessible slot, the other in the internal one).

(3) See if you can find out anywhere (this forum?) if the iMac will take a 1GB stick, regardless of the official word from Apple. You might be able to go up to 1.25GB that way.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note that, if you decide to upgrade the "factory-accessible" slot, the RAM has a different form factor, so you won't use the same stick as you will for the "customer-accessible" slot.

Places like here suggest that you can go to 2GB, and that certainly suggests you can buy a 1GB stick and get up to 1.25GB.

I'll see if I can find more verification of that.

5. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

come on man... imacs are 90 percent likely to get an update at wwdc... (june 28 - july 2)... why not just wait till then... it very likely that a g5 will go in the imac for the same price (around) that you are paying now... y not just wait?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

He's already ordered. He's aware of the possibilities and likelihoods.

And an announced update doesn't necessarily translate into immediate shipping.

I'm happy he opted to buy one now. The 17" is a great intro to the Mac world. I'm sure he'll be happy with it!

7. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Well, first of all we don't know *what* will be announced at all. I agree, it's likely that the iMac will see a refresh -- probably a speed bump. That'll drive down current prices probably ~$200. Considering I saved more than that already, it's not that big concern.

Also, this is a test case purchase -- I, and my wife, might hate the machine. In which case I sell and really aren't out that much all said. Other case, we love it, I buy more Macs, and play hand-me-down with my wife and mother.

It's all good. It's my money anyway...don't sweat it. :)

8. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Thanks. Now to find a spot for it next to my dual monitor setup in my office! :)
    This is as I assumed. In the Mac-world, is 768MB enough? How memory-dependant are Macs?

I'll do some searching on the third option; I'm a little hesitant since the official Apple specs say 1GB max addressible.

Thank you for the assistance all!

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Are you aware that a simple hack will let you use the iMac's monitor-out to connect a second monitor in non-mirror mode (i.e., as a true second monitor)?

768MB is fine until/unless you start doing some heavy lifting. 1GB gives you some more breathing room, but, like I said, my iMac gets by on 512MB without any problems.

I think you'll find that OS X does quite a good job of memory management.

Good idea. Wait and look into it. But...you're going to be hurting with just 256MB, so you should probably either look quick or just decide to buy the 512MB stick and eat the cost if you upgrade later.

Of course, you'll like the iMac so much you'll be buying another Mac soon anyway, so it won't be much of an issue. Your mom will be fine with 768MB. ;)

No problem. Best of luck!

10. szark macrumors 68030

szark

You seem to be getting lots of help on the main issues, so I'll comment on this.

Depending on who you ask, you're an Adder, or a Swinger. :D

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, you're going to like it....

Since you just dumped over a grand into it, you might seriously consider getting a couple of books to get the most out of OS X.

Some nice ones are:

Mac OS X Killer Tips by Scott Kelby, and
    Mac OS X: The Missing Manual by David Pogue

These are just two; there are, of course, many others. This forum will be a big help as well. Don't be afraid to ask for suggestions.

OS X is pretty intuitive, but some things are different enough from Windows that a few books and a few posts will go a long way toward getting the most out of your system.

The Mac shines when it comes to photos, movies, and music. Try to look into some of those sides of it. If you're a geek of any sort, the UNIX and AppleScript possiblities are a lot of fun. All in all, there's a lot there. I wish you and your wife the best of luck. And, if you know any other Mac owners (or PC owners with AIM), iChat is a blast. Its video is, I think, better than any comparable PC app allows. Enjoy!

12. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

I am, actually. :) I did quite a bit of research before taking the plunge. :)

This was the plan; 512MB as soon as the unit shows up from day one. I checked out the link on taking apart the iMac and that's very simple to do. Easily within my comfort zone.

13. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

I've done some more searching (web and this forum) and only found the same link that you provided. I've found *no* indication that anyone has actually done this successfully, though.

The problem, as I see it, isn't so much that now 1GB SO-DIMMs are available, it's whether or not the iMac slots will address this memory.

If anyone has any 1GB+ success stories feel free to share. :)

14. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

I like Swinger. Much better than Flopper. :)

15. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I assume this is because of the small iMac casing, they want to have a little space as possible....kind of like a laptop computer.

16. jcook793 macrumors regular

I have not done this (I don't own an iMac) but I'd bet a good sum of money that it is possible. The G4 is a 32-bit chip, so addressing 2 gigs is no sweat. And as I understand it the iMac motherboards are very similar to the iBook motherboards, and I have heard of people going beyond the memory limit that Apple says is there with the iBooks.

I'd like to say that your attitude is refreshing. Glad to see someone who isn't wringing their hands over every last penny (myself included).

17. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    dont feel bad i use osx, windows, and unix, so basically im a tramp :)

haha but if i had to pic one i would totally go for the mac :) hehe im biased but the hardware and software do what i want it to do period.

but i love having a mixed network allows me to learn a lot more

18. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Swing away. I get it on w/ my Macs and PCs at home manière trois style every single day. Although I'm limited to Macs at work.

19. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

well he does have 10 days