I'm a New Mac Convert!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jobutex, Mar 23, 2004.

1. jobutex macrumors member

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for a while, and wanted to share my "virtual" happiness in becoming a Mac convert today!!!

Ever since visiting an Apple store while on a business trip in California, I have been very intrigued by the G5 Powermac. I was not aware that Apple had come so far since the days of my trusted IIe and IIgs, and after chatting with the expert in the Genius Bar at the San Jose store, I was hooked!

To make the long story short, I have been waiting for the new line to come out along with the rest of you, but the sweet deal on the refurbished site for the dual 2Ghz G5s made me take the plunge! I called Apple saled to inquire about the video card that is on the refurbished models, and found out they have the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. Woohoo! Then the salesman knocked off an additional $100 if I would order right then... (got the dual 2Ghz G5 w/ATI Radeon 9600 for $2299) ...double woohoo!!!

Here's what I got:

Dual G5 2Ghz Refurbished PowerMac w/ATI Radeon 9600
    Apple 20" Cinematic Display
    iSight
    Airport Extreme card
    AppleCare

I will probably be asking a lot of you questions from time to time because I have very little hands-on experience with Panther, but have been reading voraciously. I'm also a Linux fan, so I hope to tinker with the PPC distros on there as well. The Unix core of OS X is probably 60-70% the reason I was convinced that Apple was the way to go!

My name is Joe... and I switched to a Mac. :D

2. five04 macrumors member

congrats. that seems to be a good price. however, you might be kicking yourself in a week if the new powermacs come out and you find out a 2.2ghz system is the same price as your 2ghz. just speculation though. regardless, looks like you've got a hell of a system that'll last you a while. have fun.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i highly doubt it. they will up the spec and/or drop the price but not to the same degree refurb prices are.

congrats to the orig. poster - don't bother looking back. it's much more fun and better use of one's time to just start using the computer than drooling over a mythical one.

4. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Congratulations on you mac purchase. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your PowerMac. If you have any questions, I'm sure someone here will be more than willing to help.

Welcome to the forum, also! :)

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

welcome joe.
    it has been about two years since i have switched to apple, and i have loved every bit of it. i am from dallas texas and have been through midland a number of times. it is good to see a fellow texan making the switch! i am sure you will enjoy your decision very much. i must compliment the good deal you got on such a good system.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think you'll be happy even if they come out with new models in a week. That's a great price. If you had bought it new, they would refund the difference or let you exchange it if new models or price drops are announced within 10 days. But since it's refurb, it probably won't matter. You probably got it for a better price than it would be after the new models come out.

I say don't regret it for a second.

But good that you got AppleCare... just in case. ;)

7. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Based on your history, I'd say it's not so much a "switch" as it is a resurrection.

Welcome back from the dead.

8. thejazzman10 Guest

even if they do come out in 1 week, i bet you will enjoy your powermac very much!! :D

P.S....i wish i could afford one...

9. Snowblind macrumors newbie

A question about your refurb

Hey Joe, got a question for you. I'm thinking of switching and I'm seriously considering a refurb G5. But I notice that Apple states that "OS X 10.3 "Panther" Update CD if required" and then they continue....

"Note: System Software 10.2.7 is pre-installed on the hard drive. Other software may or may not be included pre-installed or on CD's with refurbished products, subject to availability."

Does that mean I may or may not get a Panther updgrade CD? Also, did you get the new iLife 2004? Did you get you also get the Panther upgrade? Does anybody else know if Apple ships Panther upgrade with all the G5 refurbs?

Hank - the disgruntled IT guy.

10. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Congrats, Joe -- it's fun, isn't it? I took the plunge myself last October and got a PowerBook. It's still fun :).

By the way: very nice price you got!

11. dudeami macrumors regular

Lots of Texans here so I thought I'd chime in. Congrats Joe, you will get plenty of life out of system. Sounds like it was a good bargain.

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hehe, I am with the people who say that even if they update the PowerMac tomarrow, you won't notice much. You got a steal and a ver nice system to boot! (BTW, I don't this powermacs will get an update for another 2-3 months anyways!)

But the reason I am responding is that I am a linux tinkerer myself... If you haven't seen it yet, the Fink project is AWESOME. All sorts of great linux programs with a maintained database of source code patches and compiler scripts to ensure smooth and easly installation and use on the Apple X11 server. You really can't beat it, imho. No need to install a second OS, or reboot everytime you need a feature in one OS or the other... just launch X11 apps side by side with Aqua ones! Plus all your hardware drivers are updated and maintained by the same group at the same time, so its really very easy to manage.

Like I said, the Fink project is a great place to start for finding Linux apps that will run on your new Mac. And, if your favorite software isn't currently supported by a Fink contributer, chances are you can get it working with minimal effort (if it was coded well to start with) and then give a little back by submitting it to the Fink repository! :)

Congrats again!
    Rob

13. belf8st macrumors member

I'm a long time bsd/linux user. I switched about a year ago from the intel/sparc world to the mac world and have loved every minute of it.

Fink is great! There's also Darwin Ports. http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

They aren't as mature as fink yet, but looks promising. :)

Congrats on the purchase.