I'm a PC convert

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edgecurve, Feb 18, 2002.

1. edgecurve macrumors newbie

I am a PC convert. This past weekend I received my new Flat-screen iMac. This is the first Mac I have used (as my personal system) since sometime in the 80's.

Anyway, I decided to log my experiences switching to the Mac and try give some perspective to what it is like being so used to using the PC and then switching to an unfamiliar environment. If you are interested, check it out. I also tried making my very first movie with iMovie.

From PC to Mac:
    http://www.edgecurve.com/imac/

Long story short, I love it. I love OSX, I love the dock, I love the bright, clean monitor. Sometimes I just sit and stare at the machine, "Wow."

2. liven2 macrumors regular

Welcome and a sugesstion

Welcome to the mac... I loved your movie.. very fun!..I am also in Seattle so were probably neighbors so drop me a line if you need help with anything..
    liven2@yahoo.com...

If your mouse that you used on your pc is a usb mouse then it will work fine on your new imac.. just plug it in and it should work just fine.... then you will have that beloved scroll wheel.. I am using a wireless, optical, threebutton, scroll wheel mouse, from Logitech at this momment.. I alos leave the Apple mouse plugged in to as my kids find the Apple mouse easier to use.. So I am actaullly using two mice

welcome aboard and feel freee to ask any questions if youneed help...

:)

3. sjs macrumors 6502

Very nice! I'm a new Mac user too, less than three months, so no new iMac.

Cool movie, nice website. I am inspired, and so would many windows users. Alas, some are too "smart" to fall for Apples...

They tell me things like: "I can do that on my Dell. I have all the software."

Really, I wonder, how come you don't do it? A little tough to figure out how?

Boy, its Easy on a Mac, and I love it too.

4. edgecurve thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Liven2 and SJS. Liven2, I might just take you up on that offer. How kind of you! Not all things are readily apparent to me. Sometimes I stumble with a Windows technique where on the Mac it may be different.

As for PC users switching: I have to think more and more will. Software is not much of an excuse unless it is very specialized custom software. So far all apps on the Mac seem to be just better. Even apps where there is an identical Windows version. Such as Office.

Glad you liked the movie. iMovie is a lot of fun!

5. liven2 macrumors regular

Look me up anytime

As I am currently a laid off Boeing employee I have some time!:p ..

Just email me or maybe You can call if it gets a little overwhelming.. Oh another tip.. the Macintosh 'Help' ( at top of your screen menu) is awesome.. Just type in your question and it is a great help!! This is a great way to find answers you need quickly and easily... Most cross platfrom Apps. should be very simular on pc and Mac as you said. this should be your lowest learning curve.

Ok, see ya!

6. fuge macrumors member

about to switch

I'm a pc user about to make the switch to something "Easier"

I'm trying to decide what Mac to go with first. I have a home PC and would like a laptop. I'm looking at the Ibook and Powerbook.

I'm probably going to go with the Ibook. I know I will love it.

Thanks for your website and log. Great idea that I might imitate.

<fuge>

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Nice cat.

I had one very much like it. Had to put him down though.....Cancer.

I am thoroughly jealous of you having both a new iMac AND a big beautiful black longhair cat. Enjoy them, they're both insufferably cool.

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Amazing!

Its amazing how many PC converts I've seen at this site over the last month or so. I think Apple might be turning themselves around and starting to grow market share rather than shrinking it.

Go Apple! And welcome all PC users! You'll love your new Mac.

Matthew

9. sjs macrumors 6502

Fuge, you asked what type of Mac to get, here are my thoughts:

I owned a Dell Latitude notebook back when screens were about 12 inches. If portability is truly inportant to you, get the iBook. If you just think it would be cool, my guess is you would use it's mobility less than you think (I did).

About Dec 1, I bought the iMac 600 and you would love that compared to your PC...same great OS and iPhoto, etc. as any other Mac machine.

BUT, here is what I have found to be different than when I used a PC: I now have more stuff open on the screen at one time, simply because of the great things you can do on a Mac. For example I am listening to iTunes, working in iPhoto with PixelNHance open, too, and maybe finding something on the internet.

The old iMac screen isn't really big or clear enough for that (nor is the iBook's). If you can afford it and can see yourself doing that kind of stuff, get the new iMac. The screen is equal to a 17 inch for viewable content and is clear and bright.

Well, hope that helps.
    SJS

10. pucky900 macrumors newbie

Try 2 monitors

I know that you got a new iMac that only supports video mirroring, but if you really are getting into the Mac, get a more robust G4 and get 2 monitors for it. The extra restate you get is awesome. You will quickly wonder way you didn't do it soon and how you ever got along with one monitor before.

I know you can do it in Windows, but I've heard it's not easy. Give it a try, you won't regret it.

11. sjs macrumors 6502

How does that work...two monitors?
    Some applications open on one monitor, some on the other?

12. fuge macrumors member

thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I'm definitely going to get the new Imac. DVD burning sounds really cool and it's a very pleasing machine to look at AND it doesn't have an MS OS. :)

BUT

I really would like to have a laptop for portability and will probably go with the Ibook (14.1" screen) because I want to have the ability to open more than one program.

I'm also looking for Mac buddies that I can ask questions and seek advice as well as Mac Newbies who are just starting out in this new adventure or returning back to their roots. That's why I came to these forums.

<fuge>

13. sjs macrumors 6502

fuge, I used to come home everyday and the kids would call me to come get the Windows machine running again.

They still call me, but never for a problem, always something fun and cool they are doing on the Mac...

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

i can't help but wonder if the cat decided to mark its' territory :D :D :D

15. edgecurve thread starter macrumors newbie

16. pucky900 macrumors newbie

2 Monitors

Right now I'm using a Powerbook G3 as a main computer. The high end PBs have a montor plug in the back of the computer. All you have to do is plug-in another monitor and either wake up from the sleep mode or restart. The OS will sence the 2nd monitor and will treat it a 2 monitors. Then go into the monitors control panel/prefs and you can play with the settings. It will act as one large monitor. You can drag things across both monitors.... It's a thing of beauty to see. Apple has been doing this for about 12 years now.

On the regular desktops, all you need to do is get a second video card. They don't even have to match. That is what I had on my old 7500. I up-dated the video card so that it ran faster and had a faster redraw than the original video card that came with it. Then just got another monitor- plugged it in and away I go.

With some of the apps I use, esp. Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Illustrator, there are so many palettes, it makes it hard to work. When I'm working on a photo, I use my best monitor to view the image, the other monitor holds all the palettes. In Dreamweaver, one side is the visual layout, the other is all code.

Since you can't do it with the new iMac, I would is find someone the has a setup like this (User's Group is a good place to start) or get yourself a used G4 and sup it up. OSX server looks really cool.... use it as a webserver too.

The way Windows handles 2 monitor setup is that it sees it as one monitor. So any error messages will appear in the middle of the 2 screens. You also have to have 2 of the same video cards. If something faster and better comes out, you have to replace both cards.

17. pucky900 macrumors newbie

Mac Community

The great thing about the Mac community is that we always are more than willing to help each other out. We just can't go into CrapUSA and get real help. If you live near one, check out the Apple store.... the greatest idea for Mac users since sliced cheese.

If you need help, the best place is to join a users group. Online is also a great place for help.

18. sjs macrumors 6502

Pucky900: thanks for the info. It sounds awesome. I don't have the money now, but I am fascinated. You're a pro user I guess. Appreciate your help and good advice!

Also, thanks edgecurve for starting the thread.
    SJS

19. pucky900 macrumors newbie

Mac User

I've been using Mac for about 13 years now and the only time I ever thought of changing OS was the first time I saw the BE OS. I was blown away the first time I saw it. Just wished more would have become of it.