I'm a Point & Shooter.... HV20 or HDR-HC7 ??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CrEsTo, Apr 3, 2007.

1. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Hello folks!

I've been reading all the reviews of these 2 camcorders... but I'm just an amateur, so I don't understand all those techy details about their performance.

In real life, which one is better? I will take a cruise with my girlfriend in June so I'd like to buy a good HD camera to take with me... I can afford around $1,000 US.

Canon Vs. Sony or any other option?

2. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

3. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Patience.

I am sure Multimedia will be along shortly to tell you more than you would ever want to even know about the HC-7. He'll sniff this thread out in a heartbeat.

4. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I am in the same boat, but I'm going to get two cameras for interviews and A- and B-video splicing, as well as so that I can use one for a deck, and because each one will have their strengths. I'll still be spending less than the next-highest model in either manufacturer line, but getting two cameras. So, unless things change majorly, I'll probably get one of each. I'll be most excited about 24p, though (HV20).

As just a warning, some people are rabid about their preferences. ;)

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The cameras are so similar that for what you want it's pretty much a tie. The Canon is cheaper though so that's the way I'd go.

Lethal

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Sony HC-7 is the mother of all camcorders...

Have you checked out the dedicated HC-7 thread??? Over 9 pages of advice, links and information.

Here is a brief summary:

While both the HC-7 and HV20 have different strengths and weaknesses (the HV20 is covered here and here)...only the Sony will permit you to successfully vanquish your foes, feast on their entrails and slake your thirst in the rivers of their blood.

I don't know what you mean by that...can you explain in more detail? :D

8. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

as a point and shooter, it won't matter much... save money and go with the cheaper one.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Under his name it now says "in time out" so I guess MM got a little too "enthusiastic" one too many times.

Lethal

10. CrEsTo thread starter macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

I really feel attracted to the Canon's true 24P.... which I've never seen... but sounds cool to me...

And by the way, I don't think I will use LAPC ?

11. persiannight macrumors newbie

Well here's my comparison between the HV20 and HC5 from Sony which is pretty much identical to the HC7 I believe.

Greeting all. I just received my Canon HV20 today from J&R Music World.
    I got married last week and the day after, my wife and I went to Best Buy to purchase an HD Camcorder. I went there knowing the Canon wasn't available yet so I just picked up the Sony HDR-HC5 (4MP Camera version of HC7 I believe)instead and just planned on returning once getting back home and getting the Canon.

Here's my comparison between the two:

Picture quality murders then murders again the Sony's. 24P is a damn dream for me. I have a Westinghouse 37" 1080p set which doesn't handle 60i video all too well (the deinterlaces is piss poor) so having 24p looks like a dream. I kid you not. I don't think I'll ever shoot in 60i. The Sony's picture just did NOT look sharp at all. Focus was horrible, especially at the wide end, colors were average, overall resolution was just not there. Big props to Canon. They've laid down the gauntlet for HD Consumer level camera. Now I can't comment on the Sony HDR-HC7, but I'm going to assume it is comparable to the HC5. I honeymooned in Jamaica so there was plenty of available sunlight for the Sony, but I just came away unimpressed. The Canon lens is superb and the DIGIC II processing is damn sweet. I mean, I almost wet myself after watching the 24p video I just shot. Seriously it IS that good. I can't wait for nicer weather in Connecticut to get out and shoot with this thing. Low light shooting is far and away better then the Sony's too. Though I tend to avoid shooting in low light. One thing you don't get, or I haven't found it yet, is night shot like on the Sony. But seriously, how many times would you ever use that. I know I would hardly use it.

Build quality I definitely have to give Sony the nod. I mean the Canon is pure plastic. It's built okay I guess but the Sony is built so much nicer. And just feels worth $1000 in your hand. But really, when it comes down to it, it's the stuff inside the makes the picture. Still I would have liked a sturdier casing. Case in point, the 3rd time I fired up the Canon, the top portion of the lens enclosure didn't open and I had to nudge it with my finger. It's only happened once, but still it's a little scary. I just wish the Canon felt like a $1000 piece of hardware when in my hands. I have to give the nod to Sony here. But maybe that's Sony's philosophy. Give them something that feels nice, but skimp on the inside. I don't know. What I do know is that I wish the Canon was built better. End of story.

LCD screen to me are pretty much on par with each other. Menu system I have to give the nod to Canon for the joystick control which is ubber nice. Menu layout is better IMHO too on the Canon. Viewfinder seems on par with each model too. I prefer to use the viewfinder without image stabilization when I shoot. I do wish however that the Canon's viewfinder extending like the Sony's. I like the fact the Canon put the buttons on the frame of the LCD so you don't have to use touch screen like the Sony. You don't know how many times I had to wipe that sucker clean when in Jamaica. Alot have been complaining about the zoom knob on the Canon but I think it's fine. I haven't had an issue yet with it. I will follow with more impressions later tonight.

Oh and the remote works fine. I've read about some complaints but mine is working like a charm.