im a real idiot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macmancan, Oct 8, 2006.

1. macmancan macrumors newbie

macmancan

ok here's the problem-i forgot my user password and i cant even logg on my computer anymore. What do i do?:confused:

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I seem to remeber that you can reset/change the password by booting from the OS X install CD/DVD. I think its under the UTILITIES menu.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If nothing else you could archieve and install. That would save all your data and it would give you a passwordless login.

4. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

give it back to the person you just stole it from and stop stealing stuff:rolleyes:

:D

5. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Hehe. My first thought too :) Seriously though, good luck with the password.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Another member on here once posted as to how you can do it with out the restore CDs.

I reposted it to help someone out once, but I can't seem to find it ATM. I'm sure if you search hard enough you can find it though.

IIRC, You have to boot into Super-User mode, type in some commands, and then reboot, which will take you to the welcome screen, and you can create another admin account.

Good luck.

7. zRedbullz macrumors regular

zRedbullz

OWNED!. It's beyond my ken how some can forget their most important password.

Seriously, if your memory is that consigned to oblivion, write it down next time.

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

Yeah, if you boot into single-user mode (hold apple+S when you start up the computer) you can change any password of any user on the system), just type these exact commands in order, 1 at a time. (my source is SecureMac)

/sbin/fsck -y
    /sbin/mount -wu
    /sbin/SystemStarter
    passwd user_name
    exit
    reboot

P.S. standard warning about using the command line: if you mess up, its not my fault, so be careful.

9. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

yeah that is the first thing i thought as well.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You know, in the OP's defense... I had this Windows notebook once and I used a firmware password. And somehow I changed it and got confused about it or mistyped it when I changed it, or I don't know what. It was old already at the time and mostly being decommissioned. But I had that thing in the closet for several years and never figured out what the stupid password was.... :eek: