Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmancan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
san diego/ca
ok here's the problem-i forgot my user password and i cant even logg on my computer anymore. What do i do?:confused:

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
macmancan said:
ok here's the problem-i forgot my user password and i cant even logg on my computer anymore. What do i do?:confused:

I seem to remeber that you can reset/change the password by booting from the OS X install CD/DVD. I think its under the UTILITIES menu.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Another member on here once posted as to how you can do it with out the restore CDs.

I reposted it to help someone out once, but I can't seem to find it ATM. I'm sure if you search hard enough you can find it though.

IIRC, You have to boot into Super-User mode, type in some commands, and then reboot, which will take you to the welcome screen, and you can create another admin account.

Good luck.

zRedbullz

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
UK
vincebio said:
give it back to the person you just stole it from and stop stealing stuff:rolleyes:
:D

OWNED!. It's beyond my ken how some can forget their most important password.

Seriously, if your memory is that consigned to oblivion, write it down next time.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
Yeah, if you boot into single-user mode (hold apple+S when you start up the computer) you can change any password of any user on the system), just type these exact commands in order, 1 at a time. (my source is SecureMac)

/sbin/fsck -y
/sbin/mount -wu
/sbin/SystemStarter
passwd user_name
exit
reboot

P.S. standard warning about using the command line: if you mess up, its not my fault, so be careful.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You know, in the OP's defense... I had this Windows notebook once and I used a firmware password. And somehow I changed it and got confused about it or mistyped it when I changed it, or I don't know what. It was old already at the time and mostly being decommissioned. But I had that thing in the closet for several years and never figured out what the stupid password was.... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.