Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyers486

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Philadelphia Area, Jersey Side
I'm looking forward to buying my first mac in late summer prior to the school year (because I'm aware MacWorlds can change everything) and I'm not sure which model to buy. I don't have the money for a Titanium Notebook or a PowerMac desktop and have no interest in the weak video cards the iBooks house. I have narrowed it down to a new combo drive eMac or a new superdrive iMac. I plan on doing some minor video editing with the computer (with iMovie) , some gaming, so Cd making, internet surfing, and word processing. There is a possibility I will be a photoshop user in the near future. I would most definitely go with the iMac, but money is a matter and I don't want to unless it will grant a large all around boost. After working with a mac all last summer I decided that that would be my next computer. Thanks for the help and lets hope video card upgrades at MacWorld NYC.

Greg

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Considering the eMac combo is about $500 less than the superdrive iMac, I'd go for the eMac and use the extra dough to upgrade memory, etc. The imac does give you the little bit of extra horsepower, but resolution is lower. If it were me, I'd get the eMac.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
i would go with the iMac.

I like LCD screens there may be some changes to the iMac at MWNY so wait till then. yea, iMAc all the way , i say!

What made you decide to go MAC?
Where you using a PC.
I am curious.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Once the new Towers are released at MWNY, you can probably pick up one of the current speed models for less. Since you are talking about wanting speed and such, I would really suggest getting a tower. You can pick up a monitor fairly cheap (17" ViewSonic for under $200 at BestBuy) that will work wonderfully with the Mac. The days of needing a different type of monitor with the Mac are long gone (unless you get one of Apple's LCD displays).

The towers run $1600 and $2200 for either the 800MHz or 933MHz models. BOTH of those offer a lot more expansion then either the iMac or eMac and give you the freedom to attach whatever you want for a monitor...

Also, don't dismiss the advantage of the 2MB L3 cache. THAT alone is worth the extra money for the tower. The 933MHz and Dual GHz towers have the L3 cache, the 800MHz model does not. The PowerBook G4 (800MHz) model that I have screams, even compared to the 500MHz model that I had before. The speed difference is a LOT more then the 300MHz would indicate. THAT is because of just 1MB of L3 cache.

Flyers486

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Thanks for the advice chibianh it is much appreciated. AlphaTech, I was not aware of those great differences. Do you really think that at MacWorld the 933 mhz will drop significantly? I would really like to have that superdrive and the whole upgrade problem with an all-in-one system has always been a problem fro me. I do recieve and education discount so maybe it won't be so bad post July afterall. This is going to make this decision more complicated, but thanks for the help.

Greg

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The post-MWNY prices through normal retail channels will probably be about the same as your education discount. Check out both and see which gives you the best deal.

Typically, we have seen the prices for the older models drop by a couple of hundred dollars. You might be better off just getting the mid-range tower after MWNY. You will get an even faster system, with [possibly] a larger hard drive for the same money.

I always go with either the tower or PowerBook. You cannot beat the tower for expansion/upgrade possibilities.

Flyers486

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
To GrokGod:
I have been using a pc all my life and I have had problem after problem. My current model is sorely outdated, and I had decided it was time for a new machine. After working with an iMac all last summer doing photo editing and the like there was no going back. I loved iTunes and the operating system, OS 9. I like OS X even better. I will probably complete the switch by Christmas and can't wait to start making movies with ease. I wish more people could see the ease of use of macs and, sunseqently, the light.

To AlphaTech:
I really wanted a tower in the first place so this is probably the right way to go for me. I'm trying to stay under $2000 dollars for an entire system (monitor, printer, core, etc.) so I might have to get the 933mhz, but even that is better than the iMac and eMac. I appreciate your advice.

Greg

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
ok ok ok

I thought that you wanted to get something lower end, price wise.

I agree with Alpha tech again, damn it!

Go with a tower after MWNY and the prices go down.
Thats the best bet for expandability and power and price.

Unless they is a big price drop on the iMacs.

The Cache is a HUGE advantage!
Get anything with a cache,

I can only imagine what cache and DDR will do for my libido!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.