I'm a switcher too, except sadly...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nptski, Apr 19, 2003.

1. nptski macrumors member

I'm about to have to switch back. Sadly, real estate is a windoze world. I have really tried since Jan. 8th when I was first on my block to get a new 12" PB. VPC doesn't run worth a darn on my Powerbook which I am about to give to my daughter. I'm really disappointed, but I'm spending far to much time trying to re-invent the wheel. FWB's Real PC may have something, but I doubt it. Sigh... I even went so far as to set up Remote Desktop Control at home on a DSL connected PC so I could run the vertical win apps. I found myself consumed in the novelty, but native is the only way to go in anything. I bougth a neat little eMac to toy with, but dark side here I reluctanly come. Side note: my daughter is pretty happy.

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hmmmmm, i don't know what to tell you. I have yet to find something i could not do on my mac (12in ibook). I don't use any pc emulator because most software is here for my purposes. sorry to hear your unswitching.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Questions

What do the programs you need to run on the PC do?

Im sure we could help you out if you would tell us what you need to do.

I saw your location, and I love newport. You ever go to Newport Burger? That place has AWESOME burgers. I used to stay on 32nd street, and then on 64th, beachfront :D

Yea, there is a good pizza place on the boardwalk, i forgot the name though.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

don't give up that easily, man. as aztec said, we can help, that's what we do. anyone who wasn't trying to sh*t you would have told you right up front that you would need a dual proc Pmac and a load of RAM for VPC to run OK, and even then it wouldn't be magic.

just tell us what you use VPC for, and we can prolly find you a better app on the mac :p

5. nptski thread starter macrumors member

The help offered is sincerely appreciated and, BTW, typical of Mac users. My first Mac was a LISA, way back when, after a couple of years with a IIe and then a MacIII. i have been and remain a Mac advocate, but I remember reading something about 20+ years ago from a guy named Donald Kay or McKay, I think, who espoused that a machine is doing the most for the user when the user can focus on the work, not whether or not it will come out the other end or how and if it is getting done. I work a lot and need to have the machine run the apps and not have to constantly fiddle. Trust me, I know Windows can be awful, but I don't get the "call the other guy" when I get stuck in the middle of OS x issues and Windoze.

As to apps, MLS (Multiple Listing Service) searching is PC only (rumored to be ported over sometime, 6 months out or more), real estate form apps (MacFormation is supposed to work), and synching to my cell phone. I can't get my Nokia 6590i to talk to anything except people. When my Sony-Eriksson P800 arives, what will sync to it and what PIM I can use other than Outlook is still unknown to me. I am trying to fall in love with Now Up to Date and Contact, but whether or not the P800 will have conduits to OS X, who knows?

Thanks for the feedback, I have a Sony R505/W2K Pro that works pretty well and I guess I am rather overwhelmed with work and just want to be able to buy an app out of the box and have it work. The hours I have spent have bee educational in cross platform recognition and function, but it is wearing me out. My sense is I should just use Windows and let OS X attract more apps and buy another 12" or whatever with a 970 and a more mature app base next year. I am there to support development with purchases, so they can count on me.

Sorry for the whining and thanks for the offers to help. I support Macs forever, just a bit tired.

6. DZweben macrumors newbie

My mom is a real estate agent, and she has to use VPC for her work a lot. She has alot of patience, because she has to use TrendMLS.com for her work, which only works on Windows for some reason, and VPC is terribly slow.

Maybe you should consider getting a very cheap PC for real estate work (you cound probably find something suitable for $300) and get a cheaper Mac like an iBook for $999. I have one, and it's a great computer.

You would end up spending the same amount of money, and would still enjoy the many benefits of a Mac.

Dave

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I dunno it doesn't sound like he is hurting for cash. He said he bought an emac and the powerbook and now hes gonna need to buy himself a PC laptop and maybe a 970 when ti coems out. Unless I misread it hes not complaing about the cost of much. If your really looking at a pc laptop make sure its centrino based it seems like that is most comprable to any mac laptop.

8. alexlai5050 macrumors member

Macs are great i admit
    but i do complain some times that u dont get the benefits of things like programs
    i ahve a powerbook it looks great feels great if i had to rate it i wud do it 101% \
    i dont really compleain on what to use when im downstairs in the house and need the internet i just use a windows pc
    in other words i dont care really but i will always agree that macs are better

9. nptski thread starter macrumors member

As to the issue of cost, it is related to the productivity enjoyed because of automation. I have done deals because I had the information when it was needed and others didn't justifying the cost. I did put together a Duron/ECS box with XP on it and it does meet my need, it is just I end up with a lot more machines to synch and I really need protability. The wonder of OS X is Rendevue (sp?), it will find a way to connect with anything. Thanks again for the support.

10. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

:D rendezvous :eek:
    just a remark :)