Im a video amatr editor im new to mac!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by newmacphilip, Dec 7, 2005.

1. newmacphilip macrumors newbie

newmacphilip

im a vegas video editor on a pc and just recently bought a mac for the luxury of having greater options. however, i tried to play my finished videos on my new mac mini but it wont play it coz it was rendered as mpeg2 files. Is there a way to play this?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As mpeg2 files, you can either pay for a QuickTime add-on which plays mpge2 video or find another player. VLC may play them, mplayer is another possibility.

Otherwise, you could re-build the original projects as mpeg4 files, if Video Vegas can do that.

3. freiheit macrumors 6502a

iMove (I think) handles MPEG-2 -- I don't have one to try

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't iMovie handle MPEG-2 video? You can (technically can) watch video in iMovie's preview window, or use it (again, if it does support MPEG-2) to convert the video to another format, say QuickTime.

Now this may be something specific to iMovie '05 so it's probably not an option in the version that came with MacOS X (probably version 3, I don't know which version they're shipping on new Macs). So in that case, buying the QuickTime MPEG-2 Component would be the less expensive option if all you want is to play the files and not edit them.

4. newmacphilip thread starter macrumors newbie

newmacphilip

thank you

i will try both suggestions and see what it will do

however, im excited with my mac coz it will broaden my horizon!

:)

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

welcome to the Mac platform - once you find your feet you will wonder how you ever managed on the PC

what sort of editing are you doing ?