Im a video amatr editor im new to mac!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by newmacphilip, Dec 7, 2005.

1. newmacphilip macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2005
    im a vegas video editor on a pc and just recently bought a mac for the luxury of having greater options. however, i tried to play my finished videos on my new mac mini but it wont play it coz it was rendered as mpeg2 files. Is there a way to play this?
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    As mpeg2 files, you can either pay for a QuickTime add-on which plays mpge2 video or find another player. VLC may play them, mplayer is another possibility.

Otherwise, you could re-build the original projects as mpeg4 files, if Video Vegas can do that.
  3. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2004
    iMove (I think) handles MPEG-2 -- I don't have one to try

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't iMovie handle MPEG-2 video? You can (technically can) watch video in iMovie's preview window, or use it (again, if it does support MPEG-2) to convert the video to another format, say QuickTime.

Now this may be something specific to iMovie '05 so it's probably not an option in the version that came with MacOS X (probably version 3, I don't know which version they're shipping on new Macs). So in that case, buying the QuickTime MPEG-2 Component would be the less expensive option if all you want is to play the files and not edit them.
  4. newmacphilip thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2005
    thank you

i will try both suggestions and see what it will do

however, im excited with my mac coz it will broaden my horizon!

5. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    welcome to the Mac platform - once you find your feet you will wonder how you ever managed on the PC

what sort of editing are you doing ?