I'm at the apple store right now...why is this ibook so dark?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AcousticDoc, Jul 26, 2005.

1. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

I'm at the apple store right now and the screen for the 14 and 12 inch ibooks look pretty dark. Is this generally true of ibooks or is this due to the fact that the ibooks here are kinda close to the door and sunlight right now?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Check the display preferences.

Otherwise it's because the iBooks have crappy screens.

3. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

ut's set to brightest.....uhhh these ibooks have crappy screens or ibooks in general?

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

if you are comparing it to the ACDs then yes, i can now compare the 2005FPW and my powerbook and the Dell destroys it in brightness

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Hey, open up Dashboard and drop in a Widget. Do you see the ripple effect?

6. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

nope. they only have the old models here and not the new ones

7. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm the power book screens look a little dim as well....oh well I guess its just the sunlight

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Thanks for checking anyway. :)
    Are you there to buy or just look?

9. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

I'm checking out how the ibook feels...I've been so juiced to switch to apple that I forgot to do the most important thing...check out how the computers are!!! :D This ibook is so much lighter than my monster 7.25 lbs hp. I look forward to getting my new ibook: 1.33 512 RAM 80 Gig :D

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Awesome! Did you order it tonight at the store?

11. AcousticDoc thread starter macrumors regular

Yeap yeap! My first apple. I only hope that the 1.33 G4 is fast enough for my needs.

12. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

How come no new ones there?

I'm going to try and hit the Yorkdale store (ontario canada) tomorrow to see if they have any new ones lying around for 'tire kickin' :D

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I'm sure it will serve you well for years to come. I still get a lot of mileage outta my 800MHz iMac G4 and my 1.33 PB is great.

14. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

you know that they're snickering behind the doors when you typed all of this.

15. kanpachi macrumors regular

Just got my hands on the new iBook 12" today, and I must say that it is a pleasure to be using this machine. I don't notice anything wrong with the display -- doesn't seem too dark or anything like that, but maybe that's because I prefer to have the display on a less brighter setting? When I turn the brightness to max, it's actually too bright, so maybe this depends on what you prefer.

I have to say, though, I am quite pleased with the iBook so far. I bought a 12" and 15" PowerBook in the past, but I never got the sense that they were that rugged. Maybe I was just too paranoid because of how beautiful the PowerBooks looked (not to say that the iBook isn't sleek)? Plus on top, if you're a student, you can take advantage of the Student Union promotion, which can get you the iBook for $949 + $179 for the iPod mini, which comes out to $1128 pre-tax. Post-tax (in California) comes out to about $1240 or something like that, and if you can sell the iPod mini on eBay for about $175 or something, the total actually comes out to be $1240-$175-$179(rebate) = $886. Although this laptop does have its faults, you can't ask for much more from a laptop that is so cheap compared to other laptops on the market. Plus on top, I just got spyware on my PC (stupid VirtualBouncer/Aurora and Windows) so it helps me appreciate the facts that not only do you get a great laptop for a good price, but also a very solid OS!

Anyhow, I feel like I've rambled a bit too much here, but yeah I don't notice the screen being too dark. :confused:

16. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Do you see the ripple effect in Dashboard? If so, I'm doing the Student Union deal on the 12" too.

17. lpshean macrumors regular

lpshean

Yeahh.. Thats what EVERYONE wants to know! Including me!

18. kanpachi macrumors regular

Yeah, I see a ripple type effect when I open/close different widgets in dashboard. Is that what you're talking about? I didn't know that this was anything special?

19. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

One is runing off mains electricity with almost unlimited power available and the other is trying to get as much lifetime as possible out of a fairly small battery. Consequently the ACDs can use much brighter backlights. I know that in the store the ibooks will be running off mains as well but you get my point.

As it happens the ibook displays are a bit dim in full sunlight. Having never used a powerbook outside of the store I can't compare the two under similar conditions but it's be said in reviews that the 15" and 17" powerbooks use better displays than the ibooks or the 12" powerbook.

20. lpshean macrumors regular

lpshean

Wayy cool. Now we can take it that the graphics card in the new iBooks can support Core Image?? I am so gonna get one now. Thanks for the confirmation. Was holding on because IMO, the Core Image thing was the deal breaker for me between a 12" iBook n a 12" Powerbook.

21. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

ibooks in general, also the 14" has only the same screen resolution as the 12".
    the PB 12" is not that great either but it's ok. The 15" PB screen is beautiful.

22. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

iBooks have less bright screens than PowerBooks, allso colour rendering is less good... if you need a portable with a good screen: go PowerBook, if screenquality (I mean brightness/colourreproduction) is not such a big deal you can allso go for the iBook wich is cheaper compared to the value of most parts... only the screen & absence of DVI is the major difference with the PowerBooks... (I'm only comparing to the 12" PowerBook because all the reast have more differences & also higher res)

23. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

No. iBooks as well as PowerBooks have mediocre displays, at least the 12" models (I'm owning a 12" Powerbook, and for 1750 Euro I would have expected to get a decent display).

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My 800 MHz G3 iBook's LCD was fine. Maybe some of you are used to "premium quality" displays, but I had no problem whatsoever with the iBook display. My mum's 2004 Dell laptop has a worse LCD than my iBook.

25. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

That's what I'm basing my experience on as I have one of those in my bag right now. It's not that bright and a bit difficult to see in sunlight. It's fine in the shade. I don't know if any LCD would be good in sunlight. Again there's plenty of reviews etc. that say that the 15" and 17" powerbooks have better screens. The cheapest 15" powerbook does cost double what the 12" ibook does though.