Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Since I'm getting caught up in Steve J's vision of the Imac as the digital center of my life I had a thought......

What kind of reliability/durability does the superdrive have? Is it replaceable? By me?

Why that thought you ask.....because I plan to rip my entire legally purchased CD collection to an external harddrive once I get my Imac. (Kind of like putting on 60,000 miles on a new car in 4 months ) Also the cd drive on my 6 year old pc I currently own is no longer in operation. The root cause of that is unknown but it just got me thinking....... I could be way off base here, if so, let me know. :)

Thanks in advance

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
As long as your rip those gazillion tracks within your first year they should replace the super drive for free if it breaks down... and with AppleCare it'd be within the first 3 years...

raic36

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2004
I had the same idea; however, I have the superdrive iMac and now I am wondering how best to set up the external hard drive (LaCie d2 USB) to meet my backup and iTunes needs. Partition ( /Data /Music)? Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.