I'm Back From a Long Break!

Discussion in 'Community' started by carbonmotion, Jan 5, 2005.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

wow, I haven't posted since the summer. School's been killing me :(
    Anyways, not that i'm back I'm determined to get my emoticon. First topic since coming back... I need a new ride for the terrible winter weather in michigan, but it has to be reliable and sorta cheap. 2002 Black Ford Explorer XLT... what do you think?

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would not trust a Ford in my life especially the explorer. Can't tow a U-Haul since they say the Explorer is too dangerous and don't want to be held reliable. My friends/family had really bad things break on them when they used Fords. I would recommend a Chevy Trailblazer or Equinox. Athough you have to buy the Equinox practically brand new, I found at carmax a nice '04 trailblazer for $21,000. To bad they only will sell it in my area. If it will go that low, you probably can find a similar deal in your area for one.

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I wouldn't buy anything Ford... never... Too many problems with em... I prefer something like a Nissan xTerra (not sure of the spelling)... sorry...

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

dunno what to tell you about cars, but since im assuming emoticon=avatar, you've only got 104 more questions about cars to go :)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

fords are crap, especially the explorer, they are top heavy, i know two people who have rolled over in them, they wont handle the snow very well at all

i would look at chevy's and toyota's if i were you

6. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

while, 4 runners are nice, they kinda outta my price range and trail blazers have crappy quality! durangos are nice, but their gas milege is atrcious!

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

how about a Rav4? or do you need something that much bigger?

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Ha! Trailblazers are reliable. Sure they will not act like my $45,000 Chevy Suburban with no probs but, they are much better then any Ford that competes with the Trailblazer. I say Chevy's have the best quality for american cars IMHO. I have owned a lot of chevys ranging from a blazer to my current Suburban no major problems that was not wear and tear(like brakes pads and lights). As I said my family and friends have owned a lot of Fords. Parts died from left to right. And for Dodge, while their Viper is cool I wouldn't trust a Chrysler owned car company. I would trust it more then ford though. I had 1 Sebring, 5 town & country's, and 2 Jeeps. The Chrysler cars had raditor problems, suspension problems, and engine problems. The 2 jeeps shared the raditor problem and both jeeps transmission died. Now lets not forget the ball joint recalls with the new Durango and Dakota I believe.

Sometimes you have to go with personal exprience then with articles. Which you may with your opinion. Sometimes car articles or any articles may have a hidden agenda in it. Let say someone is trying to make BMW look bad. So they do a survey about reliablity. When a BMW owner says they own one, the reporter starts to get into detail regardless if it is bad or good praise for their BMW's. And when they get a Mercedes, they just leave it at what the person said. But, since in articles they don't tell you the questions they ask the people.

9. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

willa rav 4 get me through a snow storm? i dunnoo... a 4 banger 4x4? i have my doubts... i wanted a 4runner v6 4x4 but its way too expensive

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I might suggest buying a Subaru. Better gas mileage, fair amount of space and plenty to choose from at different prices (new and used).

As for SUVs (if you insist) that are cheaper, I have always liked the Saturn Vue, but cannot comment on it's winter capabilities.

FWIW

(BTW, I used to have an old Audi Quattro in Wisconsin...it performed admirably in inclement weather. Audi are probably out of your price-range, however)

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Somebody said the Saturn Vue may be running a Honda sourced v-6 engine.

So even though it's a GM product, there's hope for engine reliability. ;)

12. sgarringer macrumors regular

I drove my explorer (1992) for 4 years, without anything besides oil changes, breaks, and 3 starters (explained by my job).

I managed to hit a median going 45mph (looking up an address) and also did a significant amount of off roading. I dropped a tool belt on the roof from 30 feet. It was the most relyable truck I ever owned.

In those 4 years, I put over 100k miles on it. I worked for the cable company, doing installs. Usually 5 or 6 a day, 6 days a week. All but 10 days a year, for 4 years. And it never wouldnt start on me once. People say **** about Explorers, but I used it off road, to get to poles in the woods, and I also used to climb onto the hood, then the roof, and gaff my way up the pole from there. The hood, roof, and hatch were ruined, the rear window broken out (errant cable box went clean through it) but it still runs (and I still own it).

13. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They do make really reliable SUV's. But, I heard they are gas guzzlers though. I can't seem to find the fuel economy of the land rovers at their site though so I can't prove it.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can get the Rav4 with four wheel drive, i think it can handle a snowstorm just fine, heck if my 95 toyota tercel can handle the foot or snow we just got, and it went through worse last winter i think the Rav4 can handle things just fine, unless of course you are talking about driving it off road in semi muddy terrain or no roads packed with snow with no hope of being plowed

16. justinshiding macrumors member

Hmm eeee...no no . Land Rovers are actually VERY bad when it comes to being reliable, although I can honestly say that for off road stuff they seem pretty great. A friend of mine was climbing up a 30 foot hill made of cedar chips for some reason in one...amusing to watch at at least.

You might want to look into something that's front wheel drive with traction control , my Solara (99 sle 6 cyl ) handles the snow pretty well even though i've got tires on it that were NOT meant for snow at all.

Umm...let's see...it's hard because you can get a cheaper newer domestic , but I wouldn't say any of them are all that reliable, but GM tends to be slightly better than any of the other big three.

Good luck,
    justin

17. justinshiding macrumors member

Good to see someone else is enjoying this wonderful chicagoland snow...woo.

Justin