Im back from Haiti

Discussion in 'Community' started by me hate windows, Jun 14, 2002.

?

Would you ever do something like this?

1. Yes, Definately, tell me how and I will.

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Yes, but only if I had to.

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. No, I am too busy, or I just dont want to.

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. (dont choose this) If you selected option 4, then you are a lazy, stuck-up, selfish brat that only

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

If any of you didnt hear of my humanitarian service trip to Haiti, or even know where Haiti is, here is the whole story: Haiti is the 3rd poorest country in the world and they have a crappy government which wont help the people. Almost everyone lives in shacks, there is an 80% unemployment rate, garbage all over the streets, and it is overcrowded. Anyway, I went down with about 30 other people to build a new orphanage. The current one is a piece of crap. It has 6 rooms, with 27 kids living in it. There is no running water, electricity is only working about 40% of the time, they have to use a disgusting outhouse(no sewer), and they have no money.
    The new one that we are building will have clean water, sewer, elecricity all the time, it wont be overcrowded, and it will be overall, at least 100 times better(not joking). Our group went down on the 3rd, and stayed till the 12th. We also took down a lot of clothes, baby formula, hygene kits, etc. We got up at 5a.m. each day and worked until noon. Then we either helped out at the current orphanage, or toured the country.
    I think it was a great experience. It showed me how spoiled I am, and how lucky that I actually have water, a house, and all of the other things that we take for granted. If they came to and saw what we had, they would probably think that they were dreaming, or they had died and gone to heaven. I also might even go back in August and stay for a month.

If any of you want more information about my trip, how to donate money or items, go down there, or actually adopt, just post and I will get with you as soon as I can.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

evil

Yes, I am the evil one... muahahahahahahahahaaa...

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: evil

I wanted to do that... :( I chose not too :)

I'd like to do something like this. I think I'll finish my uni degree first, though :)

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Anyone that knows me, knows that I can be a cruel heartless bastard when I want to be (and I want to be sooo often :D). For one thing, I am NOT flying, any where for any reason. Just NOT gonna do it... For another, I can think of much better ways to spend my time. Finally, I don't want to take that kind of time away from work to spend in some backwater country. If I am taking that kind of time away from work, I will be doing something FUN. Not extra work.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I chose maybe. I've been to the Dominican Republic, which shares the island of Hispanola with Haiti, so I know how nice it can be. But to go there and do the work you did, I would need to be in a transition state with my career. I'd like to do it, but the timing would have to be right.

But its great to see that you did it - show us some pics!

D

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

a few years back, i almost went on one of those trips, to build housing in... dammit i can't remember which country... not haiti tho, i have standards. :) something came up tho, and i couldn't go. would have been interesting, it was at a time in my life when that mattered to me... basically i'm taking alphatech's position on this one. it seems like most of the people that go on these trips are just trying to buy their way into grace--

it's cool that you went tho, to each his own i guess... i suppose anything meant to make the world a better place is a good thing... it's more work than i have the balls for, i'll tell you that...

:)
    pnw

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't forget about Haiti's AIDS situation.

Lack of sex education and adequate health care has made Haiti one of the worst places for the spread of the AIDS virus in the world.

It's truly sad how so many of these colonial countries have fallen by the wayside.:(

BTW- I voted for #5 just because you told me not to.:p

8. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

me hate windows-
    perhaps you shouldn't put 'don't vote for this option' options in future polls... twice as many people have voted for that than any other option :eek: :)

You guys are whacky. Whacky whacky whacky!

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Aren't we a cruel, heartless bunch??? I feel so at home here once again.. :D

10. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I think its great that you did this but I think americans that help out 3rd world countries are often more arrogant then the ones like myself that sit at home on their lazy asses at the computer.

There are so many problems here in the US and I think its wrong to go help out some other country when we dont even have our crap together at home.

We're not as good and civilized as we like to think.

SO I told the truth with #5.....also, it was like that big red button that you always wanted to push....;)

11. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I think this thread has shown why most of the world sees Americans as such an arrogant people. (No offence :D)

Do you really think that helping out a 3rd world country is as worthless as sitting on your ass posting at Mac Rumors? (Again, no offence :D)

teabgs said:
    Sorry, teabgs, but I that is the most arrogant and outrageous thing I have heard in a long time. Don't you realise how good your overall quality of life is in the states? Do you honestly believe that helping out a 3rd world country is wrong? How can helping anyone be wrong? (Again, no offence :D)

teabgs also said:
    You're right. Your post just proved it. (Again, no offence :D)

Once I've got this year out of the way (I graduate in November) I would jump at the oppertunity to do something like me hate windows has done. I would be proud to represent Australia and help out those less fortunate than ourselves, just like so much of our defence force spends doing... hell, we couldn't even protect ourselves if anyone got pissed off with us.

OK, now, with that said, I don't mean to offend anyone, or get any one (or any nationallities) off side. A big *slap* goes out to teabgs, but no hard feelings. I still love you all :D:D:D (Why are there no kissy-kissy emoticons? :))

12. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

How's about another option: Have already done so. ? Oh well, in the absense of such, i voted the one you said not to, just out of spite for not having the option i wanted :D

13. ponyboy macrumors regular

Why was I not surprised you were from Provo. Put up some links of the program you were attatched to id like to check it out

And I really cant believe how cold some of you are, Alpha please tell me you are not completely serious is there not one bit of empathy for someone who doesnt have food to eat! che stronzzo

And teabags have you ever been out of the country, because your comment about helping our own country first is ludacris they are not even in the same ballpark as us...

I am not trying to offend here either but am just blown away by the selfishness

Peace to all:) and to all a good night

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Provo Spain?

(any one gets that, I'll be very surprised)

15. ponyboy macrumors regular

16. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

ok ok ok, Here's where I explain myself. Though I dont really have to.
    • I dont think helping another country is worthless
    • I know that the US has it better then most countries.
    • I thought it was clear from my post that I am guilty of the lazy stupid arrogant american syndrome
    • I dont think helping anyone is wrong, I just think that people here are always so concerned that they help out the poor people of (fill in the blank) when I walk by dozens of homeless people in need of help here in NYC everyday.

I think helping people is great. I think the "western powers" have a very nice standard of living. I have been out of the US and seen conditions that were not as good as I have here, and I think it's horrible how some people live. but we like to stick our noses where its not our business, and sometimes the people dont want our help. Because our help comes with our society and our societies way of life.

For you aussies, it's like the aborigiony (did I spell it correctly). Why do they have to become westernized and move to cities, etc.? I think they're better off living with and as their culture was. So they dont have electricity and running water, but they lived like that for 40,000+ years.

Modern society is not necessarily the "correct" way of living. People should have the choice without it being..I do what I want and starve or do what they want and become them.

Back to Stateside...There are A LOT of problems in the states that people ignore all the time. We have the resources to take care of that, gets people off the streets, stop the crime, get rid of political corruption, etc. but do we? NO, because we're lazy and stupid. I am not excluding myself, I know I could do more, but I want a certain thing out of my life which requires that by time I get out of school I will probably owe $100,000, so I really dont care that other people have it bad. Because I need to be able to pay this money off so I dont goto jail.

I say take care of yourself before you can take care of others. If I had the means I'd help more people out, but right now I have to think about myself. Hopefully when I'm older I will have the means I can help out.

TO those of you who do/have/will help out I aplaude you. I admire you, I did it when I was younger (high school) and I will probably do it again someday, just right now, its not my cup of tea. (no pun intended).

Thank you and good day.

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I didn't vote due to the lack of an "I already did" option. I did this sort of thing every summer for about seven years. I suppose saying it was hard work but very rewarding would be pretty meaningless to most of you.

So, to focus on the "selfish" aspects:

- It was a cheap vacation. It's not like we worked 24/7. I've been places I would otherwise never have been. And unlike package tours that show you the world from the window of a bus, I had the chance to actually get to know the locals. That's a much different experience when you're not just another wealthy tourist in an established tourist area. I don't care for the type of vacation where everything is tuned to keep me constantly entertained, insulated from unfamiliar cultures and spending money. Perhaps one reason Americans are seen as arrogant is the way we tour the world observing other cultures as if we were visiting a zoo.

- Sure, there are places in the U.S. that need assistance too, but unfortunately most Americans in need are ungrateful bastards looking for people to indulge their entitlement mentality. I have done a bit of humanitarian work stateside and found it much less rewarding. The recipients were demanding almost to the point of rudeness, and basically sat off to the side and watched other people do work for them, whereas the locals overseas would always get in there and work with us. I suppose if I were less selfish it wouldn't matter to me whether the recipients acted like I owed them something. But it does.

- I made new friends and got closer to the friends I already had in a way that a sterile packaged vacation would never allow. The circumstances just lend themselves to bonding experiences really well.

- I learned some basic construction skills, including masonry, carpentry, welding, plumbing and electrical work. The ability I gained to build and fix things (things that aren't computers, I mean) is useful to me all the time, and is occasionally really useful in the sense that I don't have to hire a contractor for certain things.

I suppose for some people this is just not their thing, but I like it. *shrug*

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I was being 100% honest about my statement.

There are enough people in the US that are going hungry every day that I won't waste my time, money or efforts in going to another country. IF you really want to help out, start at home. As teabgs stated, we have enough people that need help here.

I also an not flying, period...

19. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Just wondering why you wont fly?

At least I know theres at least one person who understands what I'm saying. There really is no reason for anyone to get up in arms about this...if you cant take care of yourself you have no right to try and help out others.

And if I'm going to help someone out it will be here, where the difference will affect myself, my friends, my family, and in the future (hopefully a long time) my children. Then when the problems ehre are taken care of efforts in foreign countries will seem ok. Until then though, I'm watchin out for myself.

20. ponyboy macrumors regular

There are people going hunngry in the states as well I agree but the main distinguishing factor is that here the is an established structure of support and in my opinion it is generally the fault of the individual for not using these established routes to better themselves.

In some of these foriegn countries there is no route, there is no way for improvement without some help the resources just arent there.

It has also been my experience that those in need in the states, and I know I am generalizing but it reflects the experiences I have had, are ingrateful and act to me like it is owed to them, drop 50 cents in the bucket and you are looked at like why not a dollar.

I understand that there are times in everyones life, maybe the entire life, where doing this kind of thing is impossible because you do have bills to pay and mouths of your own to feed, but the phiosiphy of I would if I could is what needs to be in place in heart, im glad you said that teabags

Alpha I get the impression that even if youd had the means you wouldnt bother, here or there, maybe I am mistaken

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'm not flying partially due to 9/11 and the security increases in the airports since then. I have had people at work fly to other places, with their company laptops, and have had their lockdown cable 'confiscated' because it 'could be' used as a weapon. :rolleyes: I also never really enjoyed flying, so it's no great loss to me to decide not to fly in the future. If I can't drive to where I need to go, I just won't go. There is pretty much nothing that I want to get to that is outside of driving range.

22. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

It pisses me off to no end, to hear people say things like "our country is great, we shouldn't worry about it, we should help the other countries instead". Think about this-- if people stopped fixing things that are wrong with the US, our evolution as a country would stop, and we would fall behind a thousand other countries in a damn quick hurry. Just because we have it better than most of the world, doesn't mean we shouldn't better ourselves. It's shortsighted to think that way. Yeah there are starving people everywhere, but you know what? we as a country knew how to adapt when these problems hit, and so we fixed them. Eventually these 3rd world countries will change to fix their problems, if it's ten years or a thousand years, the people of those countries will be better for it. I know this sounds incredibly cold of me, but think about it. I'm not saying that we shouldn't help other countries, but we can't have this attitude that it's OUR fault that they're starving. Or homeless, etc.

Don't get me wrong, i do feel sorry for these people... I know i have it better than 99% of the world population... but that's because going back 400 years, our ancestors made an investment in us-- they (for the most part) left our country better than they found it. Now when will these 3rd world countries get the idea?

And you guys, don't freak on me, i'm just playing devil's advocate for a bit... i don't really feel quite this strongly :)

pnw

23. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

How to change the world...

Volunteer one hour a week helping others.

When I graduated from college, I volunteered for the Peace Corps. I missed out on a couple of teaching jobs in the Ivory Coast (Africa) early on, and was still waiting to go when I fell in love. Given that that resulted in a marriage that (thankfully) didn't last, I have often had mixed feelings about not having gone. However, as a result, I have made my entire career about trying to make my corner of the world more liveable.

All the same, at some point I know I will do some volunteer work abroad. Now I just have to wait for the kids to grow up (the second marriage was/is a good one!).

Basically, I think that if you're too lazy or chicken-shît to try and make the world a better place, don't complain. If you are too scared or feel like you can't make a difference, talk yourself out of it. One hour each week changes our neighborhoods. Our neighborhoods make up our worlds. The choice to do nothing ensures us of entropy in our communities--i.e., if we do nothing, things get worse.

Hm. Hadn't intended to get on my soapbox. Sorry, but I feel passionately about this. The choices we have and the choices we make are what make things better or worse. Collectively, they carry much more power than all the politicians, bishops, and CEO's in the world. They can only make rules. We decide what we do.

Chris
    ____
    "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
    --Johann von Goethe

"It is no use saying, 'We are doing our best.' You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary."
    --Sir Winston Churchill

24. ponyboy macrumors regular

Who are you quoting? Id be a little irked about that also

Sounds like thats what your saying to me. I am not saying we quit working on domestic problems or bettering ourselves but I can assure you that were we to stop working on problems abroad it would be much more detrimental to our own country than we know, arrogance has brought down more nations than one. And your exactly right in that when we were faced with these problems we figured out how to fix them this does that mean we keep our solutions a secret and just let others starve until they figure it out on their own, you might argue that that would make them stronger in the end but I disagree look at technology, this is a computer site after all, where would we be if every inovation was kept under lock and key?

I dont think anyone here has that feeling

Well its not the fault of the current population that their ancectors didnt make the investment ours did and it is because ours did that we have a responsibity to help others if we can

I hope this doesnt come across as freaking but its a big world and I believe that this type of service can only benefit us individually and as a nation

25. mr.w macrumors regular

I'm probably actually going to do something like that next year, but only for about a month. Yup, as a senior at my high-school you get to choose anywhere in the world to go for about 45 days. In the past people have gone to Africa to build solar ovens with the Masai, worked in wild life refuges in Thailand, worked with photo journalists in Japan, went to the base camp of Mt. Everest ... just about anything you could think of.

I've been thinking a lot about what I would like to do and humanitarian work in some 3rd world country may be what i choose. not sure though...
    here's my top five choices:

1) Apprentice with a National Geographic photographer (on location) <- maybe Africa???
    2) Travel around Europe for the whole time just taking a bunch of pictures
    3) Go to the south pacific somewhere to go scuba-diving and maybe do some marine biology
    4) tropical ecology in Costa Rica
    5) Goto a south american country and so humanitarian work (also a language exchange)

Anyway, I think it's great that you went to Hati to do what you did... I'm sure you not only learned a lot about the world, but also your self.