I'm back!

Discussion in 'Community' started by wordmunger, Aug 19, 2005.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just got back from a one-month trip to Lake Powell, Las Vegas, Disneyland, L.A., and Kings Canyon National Park. Had a great time, but it's good to be back.

Some highlights:

-- Crashing our houseboat in Lake Powell
    -- Losing $60 in 45 minutes in Vegas
    -- Watching my adorable nieces at Disneyland
    -- The Hollywood Bowl
    -- The Getty Museum
    -- Seeing 2 rattlesnakes and one black bear within a span of 3 hours at Kings Canyon.

I've written up most of the trip at Word Munger, but I still haven't done the Kings Canyon section. Great to be back at MR!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Welcome back! I also know what it's like to be away for a while and to return to your fave forum... good to see you around.

Sounds like a pretty eventful trip there.

<secretly jealous of anyone who manages to get a vacation>

3. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

So, Blue Velvet's back! I wonder what else happened while I was gone...

Welcome back to you too, BV! It's definitely been a while since I've heard from you.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Welcome back wordmunger. Nice pictures, thank you for sharing your blog. I'm sure that you will get back into the swing of things very soon. ;)

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm glad you had a good trip. Did you feel guilty about how messy the rental car was after driving around the Monument Valley area? When we did a similar trip, after miles of driving on dusty gravel roads, I was surprised they recognized the car when I brought it back! But I guess that's normal for the rental companies there.

I liked the part of your blog about the kids eating the rattlesnakes. OK, just kidding folks, that's not really in the blog. What was in the blog was a clear message that the kids have a great time and a wide range of experiences they will long remember. And it sounds like you did too!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Welcome back! I'll definitely try to mosey over and read your blog. :)

8. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Welcome back! Sounds like quite the adventure you had im about to read more about it at ur blog

9. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Welcome back dude. I spent Xmas 1999 in Kings Canyon, absolutely stunning place. Morrow rock was a particular highlight for me. Watched the sun set from the top of it and got this great photo (it's a scan so the quality isn't great i'm afraid).
    [​IMG]

Bear Point was also pretty cool....
    [​IMG]

Hope that you had a great time.

10. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Hey, all sorts of familiar faces are returning! Good to see.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Welcome back and glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Lots of goings-on here on the boards, and I'm sure you'll see when you get a chance to get back into the swing of things.

I've read your blog before, and it's always been interesting, so I'll have to swing over and check this out as well!

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Welcome home. Sounds and looks like you guys had a blast. More fun than a 24 hour video game marathon? :)

13. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Q-

We had a really nice rental car -- a Dodge Charger, very cool. I got more compliments on that car than I ever get on our humble Passat at home. Yes, it got incredibly dusty in MV and throughout the southwest. I wasn't as bothered about it as my kids were -- they started writing "wash me" on the trunk at about day three. My philosophy, as always, is simply "it's a rental." In fact, I prefer the Passat. Better visibility, better mileage, and not a whole lot less power.

PowerMac-

I think my son had more fun in the 24 hours of video games than on this trip, but my daughter had a fantastic time. My son is a glum 13-year-old, and would like nothing better than to play video games nonstop every day. Reminds me of myself at that age... of course, back then, we had to pay a quarter every time!

14. iGav macrumors G3

Ooooh, I was talking about those here what are they like? :)

hahaha I was like that when I drove from san-Francisco to Seattle, infact I was rather peeved when some fella washed my windscreen when I stopped for petrol somewhere in Oregon... I was trying to get it as filthy as I possibly could. :D

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Welcome Back!

Sounds like a great trip! I never manage to get more than 2 weeks away. When I get back it always feels strange going back to work, 4 weeks would be madness!

The rental companies charge enough that I never feel guilty no matter what state I hand the car back in. I managed to get away with scratching one all down the side as it was so dirty when I handed it back the didn't notice!

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Welcome back, and thanks for the link to your blog - I'll definitely check it out, as I love reading about other people's travels, being a backpacker and world traveler myself. Always gives me good ideas on where to visit next! And in your case, maybe you'll give me some good ideas of places to visit right here in North America, as I'm usually jumping continents in my travels - it's always nice to see what's in your "backyard". :cool:

Oh, and consider yourself lucky you only lost $60 in Vegas. ;) :cool:

Thanks again - and nice to see you back as well BlueVelvet. Is it just me, or did you return on a somewhat quiet note? If you have your own "I'm back!" thread I'd love to read through it... Regardless, good to have you back, I hope all is well. :)

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Welcome back to MR wordmunger! :)

Glad to hear that you had a nice trip.
    Although, crashing your houseboat in Lake Powell must have been a tense moment. But, these are the types of things that you look back on and smile about.

18. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

iGav--
    I posted about the charger over in that thread.

Shard--
    I just added a new blog post about the hiking section of the trip. You should definitely check that one out!

DMW--
    I was wondering if anyone would ask about the houseboat crash. Here's the story. We were motoring up a very narrow side canyon in an attempt to see LaGorce Arch. Right as we got up to the arch, the canyon suddenly got even narrower -- I'd estimate about 30 feet (our boat was about 15 feet wide). I was doing fine, navigating through the narrow channel, which opened up to about 60 feet wide in front of the arch. Then, at a critical moment, I mixed up the forward and reverse thrust and motored us straight into a 200-foot tall rock wall. There was a massive boom. The shock of the crash put about a six-inch deep dent in the boat's steel frame, and knocked nearly everything on the boat on its side. Other than a few scrapes, no one was hurt, and the boat rental company didn't even charge us for the damage. It was definitely quite a scary moment. I needed a couple glasses of wine to get over that one.

MacRy--
    That's an amazing picture. I'm surprised there wasn't more snow, though. What's the elevation at Moro Rock?

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks. All is semi-well but getting better each day. My pathetic whoring for attention was mainly confined to the private forums... ;)

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good to hear things are getting better for you BlueVelvet. But, I guess that's enough hijacking of Wordmunger's thread, back to the topic at hand... ;)

21. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Welcome back WondMonger. The Grand Canyon looks AMAZING. I can't wait till I get to go.

I feel sorry for the poor soul who has to climb those stairs everyday. :eek:

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Definitely will do! I really love hiking. Hmm, someone should set up a "Hiking" thread on MacRumors here, I'd love to share some photos and stories - I have some especially good ones from the Australian Outback and the Tatras Mountains in Poland/Slovak Republic... ah, the memories... :cool:

Thanks again wordmunger!

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

welcome back! glad to hear that things went well overall, ill dig in and read your blog today too, looks like fun!

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, that was quite the escapade! :eek:
    Glad to hear that everything turned out okay (no one was injured, no charge for damage from the rental company, etc...). After all of that I am sure you deserved a few glasses of wine.

25. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy