I'm Back!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacBandit, Mar 25, 2003.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't know how many of you even noticed I was gone but I have returned. Me and my fiancé took a trip to San Francisco last week. While we were in the Bay Area we took a trip down to Cupertino and I have some photos of the Mother Land.

While we were there we went into the main entrance and inquired on things you could do. We were told that the main entrance and the company store are the only things open to visitors. Well we walked back out and I took another shot of the entrance and at that very moment Steve Jobs came walking buy with someone I don't know. Me and my Fiancé both couldn't believe our eyes.

The Apple company store has all sorts of trinkets and clothing there for sale. Something I was unaware of. I picked up some clothes and other miscellaneous items.

We also visited the Apple Store at the Valley Fair mall while we were there since it's just down the road. I took a couple photos of the outside but upon entering was told that I would have to turn my camera off and photos were not allowed. That kind of pissed me off. It's not like they had anything there that was a secret.

Okay back to the forums have I missed anything good? I'm sure all sorts of heck broke loose here after the war started but I'll stay out of the political crap.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, very cool and why the hell don't they sell that stuff in the Apple Stores!!

I'd personally love to have an Apple Hat - that would be great....damn, now I'm going to have to go.

D

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Nice pics! I gotta get up there one of these days...

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I visited when I made it out to San Jose/San Francisco in October of 2001. I wasn't all that impressed with the Campus Store though, as they had mostly branded items rather than equipment. I was hoping to be able to take a tour of sorts, but was informed by the front desk attendant there was no such thing and visitors weren't allowed past a certain point. I didn't get many photos either. :(

One cool thing I picked up was my self-retracting ethernet cable. B2TM knows of it well, as I left it as his place and had to wait a few months to be reunited with it. ;)

5. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Hey if anyone goes there in the next couple months please let me know. I meant to buy 4 money clips and instead bought 2 money clips and 2 key rings.

The money clips are for my groomsman, my father, and me as a wedding present thing. So you can see were that puts me. I either need to find something new to give them or I need to get in touch with someone that will be there and pay them to ship a couple more to me.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Too bad you weren't able to get a photo of Steve. Were you able to get a smile from him? Did you inquire why the speciality items aren't sold at the other Apple Stores? Thank you for taking the time to post the photo's! ;) That is probably the closest I'll ever get to Cupertino! :(

7. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Steve brushed by me when I was spinning around after taking the photo of the entrance. I really didn't have time to say anything to him. Also he looked very busy and only gave me a quick glance. Knowing his personality I thought it was best I didn't bother him. I would have gotten a photo if at all possible.

8. vniow macrumors G4

Wow, you've got some excellent photography there Macbandit, wow.

[​IMG]

9. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

thanks for the pics!
    what is the deal with apple refusing to sell their non-essential wares online?! i loved the coffee cup assortment, and those money clips were bad ass.

10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Nice pics, MacBandit! Maybe I will get out to Cupertino one day, and see Apple HQ. :)

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Great photos! I meant to take some when I was there, but for some reason I didn't. :confused:

I'll have to take some in June when I return for WWDC.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Great pics! Although, you know you're going to pay for that picture of yourself in the brewfest... Can anyone say photoshop?

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Re: I'm Back!!!

You know about Arn getting married?

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Not even I'm sorry? ;) Curious what do you mean, "Knowing his personlity."?

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I envy you, at the only apple store I've been to, there hasen't
    been pens, or other apple branded items.

[​IMG]

16. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Next time you make a trip to the Bay Area post a note about it. Come see your fellow MacRumors teammates at the Bay St Apple Store. Also, you're right about the great merchandise at Apple HQ; I got my niece an Apple baby-t there. I wish I didn't have to fight traffic to get there, or I'd do all my wardrobe shopping there.

Dan

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Those pens would be great for my big hands!

18. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Re: I'm Back!!!

They don't allow photos because it's a security issue. Think about it. Someone could come into the store, take photo's of all the security camera placements, guard locations, etc. and use those pictures to rob the store without being caught. That's the explaination I was given when I was kicked out of a mall for shooting some video.

Anyway, nice photo's MacBandit. I agree with everyone else, the Apple Stores need to sell those cool little novelty items.

19. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I did but I did it in the private forums. Guess more San Fransicans need to donate to the site so they can read the top secret stuff.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words on my photos. The ones I took at Apple were definitely not my best (wasn't trying) but they worked. I do have a lot of other photos at my homepage that I am very proud of though so feel free to browse.

20. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: I'm Back!!!

Well I know about his present or should I say presents. I guess I missed the actual date.

21. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

they've got some cool pens in the store there, wouldn't mind some of them myself...

doesn't Redlightrunner sell some of that stuff? i'm pretty sure i've seen some of the pens and luggage locks on their site...

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I just went and checked, redlightrunner.com sells the hats, but the navy blue with white logo is $35!!! That's a bit much - how much were they going for in the store?

D

23. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't remember right off but most of the prices were in line with what you would expect at any department store.

I got a hooded sweatshirt for $33, a very nice long sleeve mock turtle neck for $2, a stainless steel ball point pen for $6.48 and a few other things. The prices are very reasonable I felt for the products they had in comparison to conventional items anywhere. I would guess the hats are between $15 and $20.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Re: Re: I'm Back!!!

A few years ago I took a tour of F.B.I. headquarters while on vacation in Washington. I was in the waiting area taking a photo of a wall-mounted photo of J. Edgar Hoover when they asked me to stop. I was surprised (you can't take a photo of J. Edgar Hoover?) but realized later it was simply a broad security measure. These days, they no doubt take it even more seriously.

More recently, my friend and I were taking photos in a hardware store, to be used in a silly home-made game we were making, when the store manager came over to ask us to stop. He was worried that we were spies from a competitor. Although I'm not sure what advantage other hardware stores would get by examining such photos.

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: I'm Back!!!

Well, prices for one. And what brands they might be carrying.

That actually sounds like an intersting experiment - go around taking pics of merchandise in stores and see how often you get asked to stop.....

D