I'm back!

Discussion in 'Community' started by CrackedButter, Jul 1, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Yes hello all, i'm back now after being booted off Tiscali Dial Up.

I've merely posted this to let you know of my return and a (my new) brilliant ISP for any UK mac users.

Demon Internet.

For £10 pounds more than what i was paying with Tiscali i can now use broadband 24/7 and users are allowed to stay on with no limits at all, no CAPS.

Even better i bought a router with microfilters and now have 2 pc's and a mac connected near enough all the time.

Anyway just thought i would share this as mac users do.

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

wow - congratulations.

i wish we had no cap broadband here in aus (i mean cable, i hate DSL, telstra sucks and optus is too slow (on DSL).)

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

don't be mean!

congrats on your new internet capabilities :)

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Actually...that's pretty damned cool. I wish I could get that.

So, have u done any bandwidth tests yet?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Congrats!
    I guess I'm a little jaded, since I've had broadband now for almost 4 years, I forget how damn cool it was when I first got it. I can't even imagine having to go back to a dial-up!

7. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I hade to go back to dial up for five weeks, just got back (thus the flurry of posts lately) and man...the dialing...the slowness...the unreliable connection...the phone line occupation...I'm so glad to be back on high speed.

8. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

No not yet, you recommend any programs?

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

there's your typical websites...

www.speed411.com

www.2wire.com

I know there's a few more, but that's all I have bookmarked. ;)

10. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Thanks alot, i got 155 but i am seriously downloading stuff at this moment anyway.

11. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

3284.2 Kbps on the wire2wire thing...is that good? It seems to high to be what I think it is, so I'm confused.

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah that one is high... I use dslreports.com

The test site that he posted is high because I have a 1 MB connection and it gave me well over 2,000+

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I use the 2Wire from Earthlink for my wireless DSL. 1166.4 Kbps

Speed411 02690Kbps

I wonder why the difference? Are these good numbers for DSL?

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

100baseT connection at work:

2wire ~ 4000Kbps
    dslreports - 14065Kbps up / 10619Kbps down

dslreports seems more reliable, but that could be because they're closer to me, or on a good backbone.

These tests get flaky after you pass 5Mbit speeds anyway...:p

15. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

A fairly accurate one that I tend to use is http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

On a 512k connection i get about 470 kilobits/sec, which seems reasonable to me.

16. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

heh...I just ran one of the tests...I got 27 kbps. I really need to get DSL or cable. :p

17. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I am on NTL and get a constant 120K bytes per second (1Mbit) and only pay £35 a month (about $50). Although there is a cap of 1GB per day, I rarely approach it unless I am getting a new version of Linux, so it is no problem. While CrackerButter may have uncap internet, I bit it is only at 0.5Mbits ADSL. People who care about capping generally use Kazza alot.

Edit: I get 2Mbit on speed411.

18. MrL22 macrumors newbie

Im also on NTL with 150k (£17.99) decapped to 1,024k (£35.00), really dont ask how i decapped it, it did it on its own lol, i download about 5gb a day averageing arround 130kb/sec.

here is my info for my line:-

DSLReports
    2Wire

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

way to go on getting uncapped broadband!! :D we seriously need uncapped cable in Aus. it's easy enought to get unlimited ADSL... which i've got... but Comindico is upgrading it's network in Aus at the moment, or something... that means the now the net is ssllloooooww.:( :rolleyes:

20. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

From 2wire: 4574 Kbps

Of course, i'm on the university resnet, which is nice and fast... I only pay $20 for 4 gigabytes per week, which I come nowhere near using, but I can upgrade to 8gigs for $30, and 12 gigs for $40, but I'm a poor college student, and I'm sticking with the cheapest one...

My cable modem at home is pretty fast too. Not as fast as this, but still fast.

Now dialup... my phone line at home is so bad, I hardly ever use the home phone to call people. Because of that, I never use the home phone in my room either, since I'm used to a really crappy line, but the one here is better...

edit: ran the test again, got 5887.4 Kbps... It's kinda funny how my connection speed can jump 1000 Kbps like that... oh well...

21. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I too sometimes forget about how great broadband is. When I first got the internet I had dialup for about a week before my dad got us a cable modem so I practically only experienced the internet from the broadband point of view from the beginning. It wasn't until last year when my school hadn't integrated ADSL into the dorms when I was stuck with AOL dialup that I saw how slow, how unreliable, and how annoying the internet could be. I've also heard that in many parts of Europe it's almost unheard of to have 24/7 internet and unlimited bandwidth and all, so I am really glad to hear that someone there was able to find something that they are happy with.