Im being pulled away from getting a Mac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 90003, Nov 19, 2006.

1. 90003, Nov 19, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. rob5 macrumors regular

you can put osx on your pc if you like pirated software.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Well, TROLL, the Mac platform is much better as it's a computer that will last you much longer than that cheap Gateway you're using. And OS X isn't exactly all that legal on a non-Apple PC.

4. 90003, Nov 19, 2006
  5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes it does...it's a violation of the OS X license to run it on non-Apple hardware.

And it runs like crud for those who've hacked it onto a PC. But it's illegal, so that discussion doesn't need to be had.

Edit: Warbrain...leave him alone. The guy's got a few posts here, and nothing indicates that he's trolling.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm pretty sure he is. Anyone can post a few times in random threads to make it look like they're going to stay.

7. seanf macrumors 6502

Then why not ask them for money instead of the Mini and do something to earn the difference?

Sean :)

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Do you want a new computer now, or are you okay with what you use now?

If you really do want a new machine, do you want it to run OS X properly and with support? You are completely on your own if you run into any problems with Apple software on other hardware.

9. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

At least someone is thinkin str8 here. Bravo Sean!

10. 90003, Nov 19, 2006
  11. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Yeah, maybe he can use his lawn-mower or baby sitting money to get the Macbook.

Never listen to big brothers. What the he11 do they know?!

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    First off, don't buy a mini before Christmas. Get an IOU for it and pick it up in January after Macworld SF when there might be updates - and at the very minimum you'll get iLife 07 rather than the current iLife.

Ask your parents if they'd get you a refurb'ed Macbook. There are often Macbooks on for around the £600 mark. If your brother is in higher education, then he could buy it for you at the education pricing which is substantially lower.

Another option might be going to retailers who might be selling off the 'old' Macbook Core Duos at a discount now that the Core 2 Duos are out.

Lastly, you don't have any grandparents etc who would give you cash for Christmas that you could put towards a Macbook? And no neighbours you could do some errands/chores for? Admittedly there's not a lot to do in winter but you could offer to rake up a neighbour's leaves for £5 or so. It all adds up.

13. seanf macrumors 6502

Is there any possibility of you doing a part-time or Saturday job?

Sean :)

14. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Hello, your brother is an idiot. Yes, some builds of OS X can be cracked to run on an Intel PC BUT it is illegal and will run like sh*t compared to OS X on a Mac or even Windows on the same PC. If you want to get the Mac sod what your brother says and buy it.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think he got it mixed the wrong way round, it is easy to put XP on a mac, but difficult/impossible to get a smooth running OSX on generic hardware.

16. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Not that I'd condone it, but know it is difficult for even the most experienced hackers to get OS X running well on generic hardware. It will not be the same experience as running it on Apple hardware.

17. mufflon macrumors 6502

and who wants the generic crap pc hardware anyway? There's so much beauty and love in a mac - just enjoy the experience and get a mac - you won't look back once you've switched :)

18. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Tom,

Save every last penny, get a weekend job, buy a Mac. You could get a decent (relative to running OSX on a PC) second hand one for a few hundred quid.

19. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Or maybe he was thinking Linux... but I doubt it, he would have to know a little bit more about computers to have even heard of Linux.

20. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

let alone work it.. :p

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It's bad enough dealing with an operating system that allows people to hack your system with adware, spyware and viruses.

Now your brother wants to hack in a copy of Mac OSX insuring that you'll
    never once hope to experience reliable computing.

Time to earn your own way and make a break from the dark side.

22. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

haha even I don't have the patients to install apps on there.

23. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Hey WARbrain, you're not actually in a war so chill. The guy was asking a question and doesnt need to be called a Troll because it rubs you the wrong way. PS did you get hit on the head by a gateway PC when you were younger ;) ? Such hate. LOL.

24. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Ummm I hope you know that apple doesnt make the hardware in the Mac. Its as generic as any other ASUS notebook with a pretty face wrapped around it. Having said that, I love my ASUS notebook.

http://www.maconintel.com/news.php?article=162

The link is old but I'm sure there is one with more details floating on the net somewhere.

25. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Your whole computer would break every time Apple releases a software update, OS X would become 'un-hacked' as the updates are to the bits that need to be hacked.

Get the Mac, you will never, ever look back, and I can tell you that as an ex Dell fanboy (I used to love Dells and generally building PCs etc...). Now I don't care, I want a computer that works all the time, does the job as best as it possibly can and never gives me any hassle, along with being as fun as the Dell was along the way.

My Mac is better from every aspect, including the hardware...