Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mikebatho, Oct 17, 2004.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2004
    Greater Manchester UK
    Where's the best place in the UK to get the lowest prices on a range of G5 towers, maybe a new flat monitor too.....

And is there anything I should avoid...?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Prices are pretty similar across the board but if you get a monitor at the same time you might be able to swing a deal...

Are you a student or teacher? Applestore does educational discounts...

• John Lewis: way to slow.
    • Adding Ram at point of purchase, get it through Crucial.com/uk instead*

* Some people here hate Crucial, but that's a US thing. I haven't found anyone better here in the UK.
  3. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2004
    Greater Manchester UK

I'm neither student or teacher, so there's no discount for me. I'm finding that you're right about prices, but thats a handy bit of advice about Crucial. Cheers.
  4. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    There really isn't a place where you can get Apple studd cheap! if there was hten everyone would know about it! I have bought from Jigsaw but there are many others such as mac warehouse and the square group and cancom. There really are loads, look through a copy of (the now very pricey, and it doesn't even have a cd with it anymore) Mac User magazine. There are usually lots of adverts and stuff.

Have you considered a refurb?
    Theyre only available on a wednesday and to be honest you don't see many G5's there but its worth a look as you can save up to 35%.
    Hope I helped! ;)
  5. rogerw macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2004
    west sussex UK
    • John Lewis: way to slow.

when ive bought from jl i thought they were pretty good. good back up (no quibble exchanges when an i book went wrong) and 2 year guarantee.
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    You have a good point about the 2 year guarantee.

But I had a lot of hassle getting my machine (G4 dual 1.4) from them in the end... they were constantly getting stock levels/delivery dates wrong, and in the end I felt I had to go up to Watford to pick the bloody thing up as they wanted a week to get the machine from Watford to London.

Sooo... if you want to go with JL, then ensure they actually have the machines in stock first.
  7. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001

I buy all my computers from them for the two year warranty and because I get 12.5% off advertised prices.

In the first year I call Apple directly but in the second year I just take any problem to them. Hand it over and wait for them to sort it out, works very well.

I know some people who work in John Lewis and they always complain that even though they are the largest seller of Macs in Europe, Apple still messes about with them and lies about shipping dates.
  8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    about john lewis.... if your just after a standard G5 with no btos... they are the best place in the uk...if you want a bto then they are...way to slow..