Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
asif786 said:
well, sometimes we need to get windows - fair enough, BUT:

i have 3 hp desktops in my house. they're great for what they are. the value was great, they run well (a little loud but hey) and i always recommend hp when people ask me about desktops.

however, laptops are a totally different story. their laptops are big, chunky and not priced particularly well. sony laptops are nice too- but again, overpriced for what they are (and i speak from experience).

right now, if somebody said 'i need a windows laptop' i'd say get an ibm thinkpad (or is it called a 'lenovo thinkpad' now?) whatever, they're great.

anyway, that's just my opinion :)
?

Thinkpads are great and are built much more solidly than any other laptop. THey are also quite overpriced though if you are just looking at the hardware.

My GF just got a new HP DV1000 with the 14.2" brightscreen widescreen, 1.6 pentium m, 60gig hd, dvd rw, 512RAM etc. It looks pretty much the same as the one you bought. The entire motherboard fried 16 days after she purchased it and she freaked out and wanted to return it, but circuit city wouldn't take it back b/c their return policy is a strict 14 days and HP wouldn't give the $ back. ANyway, she sent it back to HP and they fixed it and sent it back, but she has trust issues with computers (not with me though!), so it's gonna take her a while before she relaxes and doesn't start cursing the computer every time it doesn't do exactly what she had hoped it would.

The computer seemed alright to me and it was a good deal at only $1075 after tax and after $200 circuit city mail in rebate. The screen is definitely not as nice as my powerbooks - we watched a movie on it and the difference was noticeable. the keyboard also isn't as nice, but her computer was also about 1/2 the price of mine. The wireless reception on that puppy is also freakin fantastic!

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
paperinacup said:
After debating about this for a LONG time I have decided to get an HP. I just can't bring myself to spend over $2300 on a comparable PB. I feel like I have betrayed my country :( . This is the computer below.

HP DV4000

Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 770 (2.13 GHz)
FREE Upgrade to 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!
128MB ATI MOBILITY(TM) RADEON(R) X700
256MB DDR2 SDRAM (1x256MB)
80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG & Bluetooth(TM)
FREE Second 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery!!

1-year HP Accidental Damage Protection with Express Repair extended service plan

All for $1554 Shipped. As soon as I get it I have a 1GB stick of DDR2 ram waiting for it.

I just can't sit around and wait for the PBs to update so I'll get something that will do the full job.

Toshiba or IBM = only solid choice for PC laptops.

If you haven't already put the money down for this HP, DON'T! Toshiba offers great laptops.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

AP_piano295 said:
Good job.
All I can say is your doing everyone a service in not buying the powerbook. If you buy anything a company provides no matter the price or quality they will continue to abuse the buyer. I know this may not help but in a small way your refusal to buy a powerbook helps everyone waiting for one.

Yes, let's all STOP buying from Apple so we can force them to...uh...

What in the heck are you trying to say with this comment? You REALLY think Apple would speed up the transition if powerbook sales lagged? I am pretty damn sure they are moving as FAST as they can at this point.

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
HP?

I would never get an HP laptop. There desktops are some of the best, especially the one with the AMD processor in it, but their laptops are some of the ugliest, bulkiet laptops in the market. If you want cheap but good quality laptops, I would check out toshibas offerings. If you haven't payed yet, don't, go look at toshiba instead. If you have already payed and you're out of your return range, than enjoy what you have. Oh, and while I can imagine leaving apple for gaming reasons, I can't imagine leaving apple to do photo and video editting. Get an iBook, have you lost your mind?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
appleretailguy said:
What in the heck are you trying to say with this comment? You REALLY think Apple would speed up the transition if powerbook sales lagged? I am pretty damn sure they are moving as FAST as they can at this point.

Seriously. Updates are coming as fast as they can... do you really think Apple *wants* to lag behind?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Verto said:
Toshiba or IBM = only solid choice for PC laptops.

If you haven't already put the money down for this HP, DON'T! Toshiba offers great laptops.

IBM makes laptops O_O, I could have sworn that Levono or whatever makes laptops. That the sale happened MONTHS ago

but i could be wrong, i don't know

trooz1

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2005
I had an HP dv1000 laptop for a few months. It was nice, but I ended up switching. Even though my screen size is smaller (12in iBook), I don't regret it one bit.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
eva01 said:
IBM makes laptops O_O, I could have sworn that Levono or whatever makes laptops. That the sale happened MONTHS ago

but i could be wrong, i don't know

Lenovo has been building Thinkpads for about four years, during which their quality was considered one of the best.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
why not go with one of the new thinkpad z series? they can be had for roughly the same price and they are WAY better than HP.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
appleretailguy said:
Yes, let's all STOP buying from Apple so we can force them to...uh...

Im pretty damn sure that if we buy their products even if they are not up to par then the company will cease to inovate and exploit every customer. I was considering buying a powerbook but I found them monstrously overpriced for what they are. If apple cant get new product of the press then I expect them to lower the price of their exsisting line. If everyone buys powerbooks no matter how expensive or how outdated the apple will continue to sell terribly overpriced laptops BECAUSE THEY CAN. Yes if we stop buying powerbooks then the company WE CAN FORCE THEM TO CHANGE THEIR BUISNESS PLAN!

amholl

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
good specs, fast, but butt ugly. if ur gonna be doing phot and video, y didnt u get a pb, they are made for photo/video (FCP, iPhoto?)

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
amholl said:
good specs, fast, but butt ugly. if ur gonna be doing phot and video, y didnt u get a pb, they are made for photo/video (FCP, iPhoto?)

I didn't want to get it because I am sure the HP would have better performance. Trust me that 2.13ghz Pentium M 770 is NO joke. Along with the 2GB DDR2 memory I am putting in... all that and I still end up quite a bit cheaper.

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
mac-er said:
AppleInsider is reporting that new PBs are coming in two weeks.

10.4.3 also makes references to newer PBs, according to AI.

The article doesnt say when the new PBs are coming out.. just the powermacs will be out within two weeks. Its just says they are preparing the PBs.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
This thread just emphasizes concerns about Powerbooks being underpowered that have been popping up everywhere lately. Unfortunately, I agree with them. The HP laptop that paperinacup is getting is so much more powerful than current "power"books that I can't even argue against it. I'll argue vehemently for iBooks on the consumer level, but Powerbooks have lagged far enough behind on the professional level that I feel they are even holding iBooks back now.

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Apple seriously needs to do something dramatic with the whole PB line. I'll probably be back to the Apple world in about 2 years.

iBooks are GREAT but the resolution on the screen is NOT. I find myself doing alot more scrolling than neccesary.

If only the HP had backlit keyboard.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
paperinacup said:
Apple seriously needs to do something dramatic with the whole PB line. I'll probably be back to the Apple world in about 2 years.

iBooks are GREAT but the resolution on the screen is NOT. I find myself doing alot more scrolling than neccesary.

If only the HP had backlit keyboard.

We'll welcome you back with open arms!

I think the comment about the iBook underscores Apples failure lately to differentiate between the pro and consumer notebook lines.

People, professionals included, who don't need the specific features the PowerBook has, aren't willing to spend extra for the its looks, and don't have to have the latest and greatest (if you can call the PowerBook that anymore) have no reason NOT to choose the iBook.

The PowerBook is, as somebody mentioned earlier, very noticeably lagging in the professional laptop arena, especially for the price. Apple would not have made it this far if they were unable to recognize a problem like this.

With that in mind, I'd be very surprised if the PowerBook wasn't one of the first Macs to make the big transition.

Slap the fastest Intel mobile processor available by the time it's released into a PowerBook of whatever form factor (most likely a brand new one), keep it the same price and suddenly you have a ridiculously competitive package.

Here's to that happening in the nearish future.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
chucknorris said:
We'll welcome you back with open arms!

I think the comment about the iBook underscores Apples failure lately to differentiate between the pro and consumer notebook lines.

People, professionals included, who don't need the specific features the PowerBook has, aren't willing to spend extra for the its looks, and don't have to have the latest and greatest (if you can call the PowerBook that anymore) have no reason NOT to choose the iBook.

The PowerBook is, as somebody mentioned earlier, very noticeably lagging in the professional laptop arena, especially for the price. Apple would not have made it this far if they were unable to recognize a problem like this.

With that in mind, I'd be very surprised if the PowerBook wasn't one of the first Macs to make the big transition.

Slap the fastest Intel mobile processor available by the time it's released into a PowerBook of whatever form factor (most likely a brand new one), keep it the same price and suddenly you have a ridiculously competitive package.

Here's to that happening in the nearish future.

I agree I think intel is going to be the big turn around for the Powerbook lineup. Right now their equpment is just outdated the g4's are old chips any way you look at it, and theyre still using outdated graphics cards. I can understands apple's innability to bring out more powerful portables, I cannot understand their refusal to lower prices even though their machines have been lagging against the pc laptop market for about a year to a half year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.