IM CLIENT > Fire (by epicware)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sphereboy, May 22, 2002.

1. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Fire is an excellent client! It used to have problems with AIM, but to my knowledge it's been fixed now.

I used to use Fire before there was AIM for X, but since I only use AIM there's no huge advantage to Fire anymore (except for banners, which I close my buddy list anyway, so...)

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Fire is good if u must have more than one client to use at the same time...

personally....I didn't like the interface...esp. when having to go back & forth...it just gets to be too much for me to want to deal with...

so I've stuck with the basic AIM for X... ;)

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've never heard of it or used it before now. But I've just downloaded it and set it up, and it seems pretty good, not dissimilar to "Proteus".

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

the best im client for aolim is adium. in fact its probably the best application for osx period.

6. cornelius macrumors regular

yeah fire is one of the best "simple" apps for mac os x out there. and even better if you have accounts with different messengers. the only downside, is that sometimes i get problems with icq's server, but aol and msn are really good.
    after you learn how to customize it, it will surprise you, and since it lets u create your own groups with people from different messengers, it makes it even better and simpler to use. the las version 30b? or something like that, its way overdue, i think it needs an update, but it still good. the other app that consider to be great is sputnix, for audiogalaxy satellite

7. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

All of you still using AIM X

If all you're using is AIM (not the other protocols supported by Fire), check out Adium X (http://homepage.mac.com/adamiser). The only thing it can't do is check away messages without you actually sending an IM, but aside from that it is just spectacular.

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

9. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

I hate Adium because it doesn't have ALL the features of the normal AIM, the interface looks too pain, and its ulgy looking.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

adium's the best... but it does lack features. i guess it's like how i see chimera.... i can use chimera mostly, but occasionally need ie for pages/plugs/etc..

i can use adium mostly, but sometimes need aim for file transfers or whatever.... aim for os x is total crap though. new version's better. but it still randomly quits quite often.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I use Fire (latest version) to manage my AIM and Yahoo chat engines. I tried to use it with ICQ as well, but it had issues, so I just downloaded the latest ICQ for OS X and it's all good. This way, I only have two apps running for all three chat engines. I can also shutdown ICQ and not loose the others. Having both AIM and Yahoo launch when I want (when the app launches) is nice.

Since I have Fire fully configured and running without issues, I don't see the point of switching to another.