I'm confused about Gay People

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Oct 5, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

First of all don't get me wrong, I think gay people are cool; it's just that I don't have any gay friends at the moment to ask these questions:

If you're a feminine male, would you rather have a female body?

If you're a masculine female, would you rather have a male body?

The reason I ask this is because of the masculine females that are always portraying men and sometimes appear to be even more masculine than the straight men are. :eek: Then of course if she was a masculine female, that was suddenly transported into a male body, I'm assuming she would no longer be gay. Correct?

Then what really throws me for a loop: is when there are two beautiful, fully feminine females, that are gay. Like I saw on Oprah Winfrey last night. Obviously in that circumstance, the two women would rather stay women. I'm assuming. :confused:

You see it's the old fabled story about how gay people are trapped in the body of the wrong gender. And then when you have two healthy gorgeous females that are gay, it kind of blows that theory completely out of the water. Hense my confusion. :eek:

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow. this is going to get interesting.

perhaps you could think about the fact that all people are different, and that there are no "rules" to how straight or gay people act, and what defines feminine and masculine is subjective.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's the old fabled story of thinking that because people are "other", they are the same as everyone else who is "other". We're all a little different, black, white, gay, straight and "other".

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Like you said, it's an old fabled story.
    I'm gay, with tons of gay friends (male and female), and not one of us feel we're trapped in the body of the wrong gender.
    I like being a man, attracted to other MEN.

Still confused? You shouldn't be...

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Hmmm well ... if you... Hmm errrr maybe i no well if they are then

forget it i'm off to find cover :D

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Being gay is something COMPLETELY different to those who want a sex change and feel they were brn the wrong sex, etc, etc, that is what you need to know... Nothing to be confused about here...

P.S. Your Thread title is GENIUS! Love it!

7. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yes, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you. :)

That's what I was hoping we could talk about. :)

8. mpw Guest

I can never help but look at accident scenes when I drive past either.

I read a really good childrens book along those lines with a character who was 'Something Else' to all the other creatures/kids at his school so didn't fit in and got sad. Then this odd little creature turned up at his door asking if they could be friends and 'Something Else' turned him away 'cause he was neither like him or the other kids at school but rather a 'Different'. Oddly powerful story.

9. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I've just never had the guts to walk up to the woman with the flat top haircut and the tattoos and ask:

"Excuse me, but do you think you would be more comfortable in a man's body?" :eek:

10. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

you might get either a punch or a slap, or just make an arse of your self

11. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Why would you need to?
    There are plenty of so-called "butch" lesbians who like looking butch, but still have no desire to be men, and LOVE being women who happen to be attracted to other women.

12. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Hence, the reason why I'm running this thread. ;)

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Oh, no no. See, this whole "gay" thing is just a choice. A virus if you will.

Sorry, I had to say it since there were no Reagan supporters in here yet.

Like Skunk was saying, it's a lot less strict than you think. The lines blur all over the place when it comes sexuality, and the saying "anything goes" is very appropriate. I jsut wish people would accept that (I'm not speaking of the OP, I'm just saying in general) rather than trying to blame gays/etc for the destruction of society and the spread of diseases and just accept that sexuality is a very intricate thing that no one person can dictate what's right or wrong.

Lipstick lesbians, every hetero male's fantasy.... (including mine)

14. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

It really depends on the person, there are all kinds of people out there.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This is going to be interesting...I will sit back and read this one through:)

A point for Skunk for running it down the line.

Let it begin!

Bless

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

PLEASE DONT HATE ME!

being "gay" is a choice.

But wait, to me that doesnt mean what you think it means.

To me, it means, WE as human beings CHOOSE who we fall in love with, yes? We choose who we are attracted to. IMO it doesnt matter whether you have a penis or a vagina, you are a person, and if I like you, I will. If you happen to be the same sex as me, so be it. You choose what turns you on, maybe its whips n chains, maybe its nibbles on the neck. But whatever, we are talking about "sex" and relationships, and in essence those are what YOU make them.

Does that mean people arent predisposed in some cases to being homosexual or hetero, possibly, but I wouldnt know. Cuz to me, its all a choice, you dont HAVE to like the opposite sex, just like you dont have to date anyone ever.

So to me, you choose, sorta.

/flame on?

17. Lau Guest

I know — MACDRIVE, it's like saying to you as a straight man "Why do you not fancy the same girls as your friends do? Why don't you wear the same clothes as them". Of course you don't, so why would someone gay feel the same?

18. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Wouldn't they just rather BE "butch" as opposed to portraying him?

Please bare with me... I'm trying to understand. :eek:

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So, if you are ATTRACTED to females, you are choosing them? No. An attraction stems from something way more complex than a weighted decision. Same goes for liking the same sex. If you were gay, you'd be ATTRACTED to other men. Not just "choose" to have sex with them. It's a big ******** lie spun by conservative christians everywhere who are so brainwashed they can't even express their own emotions or feelings.

So, no, not a choice. And no, you can't "choose" who you fall in love with. If that were the case I'd be in love with every hot chick on the planet. But some of them annoy me to no end, so I'm not attracted to them.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

just like/love/do whoever you want to.

if that happens to be penis or vagina, it makes no difference to me, to each their own, especially when it comes to "sex".

what i didnt say was that being "gay" is a choice.

I think men are nasty and disgusting. they're hairy and have zero curves. so would I ever find a guy attractive, nope. but this does prove that people have an internal sense of what they percieve as attractive.

Now two ladies making out....

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, this is the best thread title I've seen in a while... :D

22. Lau Guest

I do sort of agree with you, Sdashiki, and certainly agree that the labels of gay and straight aren't particularly helpful. I'm technically bisexual (although can't really be arsed to label myself as such), and think I'm lucky to be, in that in theory I'm open to a relationship with anyone. Because of this, I get what you're saying, in that why cut off a relationship with half the population when you don't have to? But equally, I feel like that because I'm open to everyone (not literally ;)) and so have never experienced what it's like to be completely turned off by one gender. However, i think some people are, and so it really isn't a choice, no more than it was mine to fancy people all over the shop. :D

I also think the choice argument is far less helpful than it is useful because it's very rarely used in a "Be open to experiences don't cut yourself off from anything" type of way, it's used in a "Gay people can and therefore should change" and in a way of thinking that people who have been born of the opposite gender should somehow "get over it", and therefore I think it's a dangerous argument to use.

But I agree with not liking the labels we use — if they weren't there I do believe people would have a lot easier time of it.

Not really, because choosing to looking "butch" is no different to some guys looking skinny and wearing, say a skinny suit and a tie, and some guys being all muscly and wearing a t-shirt and a tracksuit. It's all about what you feel comfortable in/as.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Trangender is the term for people who feel they should be a member of the opposite sex. It's not the same as being attracted to people of your own sex.

You may have your own stereotypes about how feminine or masculine gay people should act, but that's an issue with how your mind is working, not an indication that that gay people want to be the opposite sex because they don't match your stereotypes.

24. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

Yeah, flame on. First of all, lets talk about some FACTS that you have completely wrong. You, as a matter of fact, regardless of sexuality, do not choose what turns you on. They've proven it in research with fetishists. Turn ons are usually something that affects people at the neurochemical and neurological levels. You literally have no choice in them whatsoever. That's like saying you can choose when release seratonin into your brain, or can control stimulation to different lobes of your brain at will. To my knowledge, that has not happened yet.

Secondly, if you chose who you fell in love with, no offense dude but you have never been in love. Love is something that happens between two people without concious choice. Choosing to act on your sexual and emotional desires is a choice. And unless you yourself have remained celibate for life (by choice, judging from your love comments maybe it's been everyone else's choice if you have been), you cannot expect people to rigidly control their sexual desires either.

I'm bisexual. I face scepticism from both "sides" about it, either saying I'm gay and won't admit it or I'm straight and won't admit it. I find something like what you said totally offensive. If I could fit into the cookie cutter definition of a human being that both biology and society have set out for me, don't you think I would? Do you think I liked having to come out to my family after women for a while and then suddenly falling in love with a man? Do you think I like hearing that my sexuality is a fake every ten seconds? Or the fact that due to that, I just end up saying I'm gay because you're only straight if you are exclusively heterosexual, but one homosexual experience makes you gay in everyone's eyes? No, I don't like it. And though I'm not ashamed of who I am, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

25. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

/sigh

i shouldnt have said anything, cuz everything you just said, I feel the same way.

i always stumble and confuse even myself when explaining this stuff.

i just HATE labels of all types. so me trying to explain them, is kind of hard when you dont really believe in them anyway.

/flame on (was a pun)