Im confused about the G5 , airport, and bluetooth.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mystixman, Aug 28, 2003.

1. mystixman macrumors regular

I noticed that Apple has put antenna ports on the back of the G5 for bluetooth and airport extreme. Does this mean it needs an external antenna to function? If so, does it come with them or would I have to purchase them seperately?:confused: :confused:

2. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

as far as ive heard the g5 comes with the antennas regardless if your g5 has airport or bluetooth

3. AngryAngel macrumors regular

All G5's come with the Airport antenna. Only those with the BTO Bluetooth module get the antenna for it.

4. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

Basicaly, like the metal powerbooks, you can't have an internal antenna since the metal blocks signals. The powerbooks got around it by putting antennas on the outside of the case (those little slits near the front on the sides). The G4's had them in the handles since they were plastic. The G5, however, is all aluminum so Apple just went with the external antennas in the back. They seem harmless to me since the back of the machine is not very visible most of the time and will be full of cables coming out anyway.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually the Airport Antennas for the PowerMac G4s are in the side pannels between the plastic and the shielding.
    In the new iMacs, its in the screen.

TEG

6. mystixman thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone have pics of these antennas? Are they nice ones that sit on your desk, or do they just sorta plug into the back of the g5?

7. jzieske macrumors regular

They just sit on the back of the computer. directly into the port.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ill give you some pictures tomorrow, i have the airport one. one thing i did notice, its looks like airport antenna for the g5 is the same port on the base station, ill have to look closer tomorrow, but its thats so you could hook up a sweet yagi or something on your roof and scout your neighborhood from inside.

iJon