I'm convinced

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NMynarich, Jul 20, 2005.

1. NMynarich macrumors newbie

Thanks to this forum I am completely convinced that my laptop for school is going to be a mac. I'm looking at the iBook for $899 with the student discount along with a copy of MS Office for Mac. My question is, should I get the extended warranty?

2. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Definately go for the warranty.

A couple months after getting my powerbook the screen got bent too far back and apple wanted to charge $1500 to fix it. I could have gotten a whole new computer for that! Luckily I was able to find some guy that would fix it for me for $250.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You can get Applecare at any point during the initial one-year warranty, so you don't have to rush your decision. After you've had your new iBook for a while you'll get a good feel for it and you'll be able to make a more informed choice about whether you think it's worth it or not. In saying that, a lot of people recommend extending Applecare on iBooks and PowerBooks, on account of the extra wear and tear laptops often have to endure. Personally, I'd certainly say the extra investment is worthwhile.

And by the way, congratulations on your impending purchase – enjoy! :)

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Whereas I'd never think of purchasing AppleCare...

see, people's opinions differ.

6. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I highly suggest that you spend the extra $50 and get the model with a combo drive and built in AirPort. It's a great upgrade for the price.

7. NMynarich thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm for sure going to need help figuring out the new OS though. I, like most others, have grown up with PC. Sad, but true.

8. NMynarich thread starter macrumors newbie

If I buy from the OakBrook store, I get the combo drive and AirPort for the same price. The only thing i'd like to upgrade is the harddrive. 30 GB of ram doesnt seem like much... but then again, I've never owned a laptop.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad to hear that you are going with a Mac for college - you will be glad that you did! As far as your question about getting the warranty for your iBook the answer is Absolutely Yes!

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Go for at least a 60GB (preferably 80GB+) hard drive. You will quickly run out of room if you go with the 30GB one.

11. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

:eek:

I would love to have 30GB of ram in a laptop. Wouldn't know what to do with it, but just knowing that it's in there... Wow!

12. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Extra warranty? No. Does your CC include an extra year warranty? If yes, use that.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, my poor little ol' Power Mac G5 only goes up to a measly 8GB of RAM.

14. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Am I missing something here? :confused: All new iBooks come with a combo dirve and AirPort Extreme.

15. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Nope! Not the EDU $899 one! Pretty dumb to buy that when the other one is only $50 more!

16. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

The cheapest iBooks with the student discount don't come with combo drive or AP extreme.

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

On the Apple education store the low-end iBook comes with a CD-ROM drive - not a combo drive.

18. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Hey congrats on the potential switch, you will not be disappointed one suggestion I would make, especially if you are going to be living in a dorm room is pick up a laptop lock. You'd be amazed how quick Pb's and iBook's grow legs!!

I'd suggest one of these.

You hate to be the uptight paranoid kid on the floor, but hey it'll give you peace of mind if your at class or out partying and your roommate leaves the door open or has friends over.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

20. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I never noticed that before. Very interesting.

21. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I bought a Powerbook for school last March. I thought about buying the warranty around 11 months after. I never did and I have no regrets. Its up to you really.

22. NMynarich thread starter macrumors newbie

When I went to the Apple store in my area they told me they'd give me the iBook 12" for the same price ($899) and it would come with the combo drive AND Airport. So if anyone is looking to buy online, I highly suggest checking first with your local Apple store. They still give you the free iPod and printer rebates. plus you dont have to wait for it to ship. :)