I'm depressed...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iGary, Jun 7, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

OK, maybe I'm crazy, but I cannot absorb this Intel thing (believe me, I tried), and here's why:

Part of the mystique about owning and using Apple products for me is their uniqueness, and that things like their processors aren't like what every Joe Schmoe has in their computer next door. Kind of likethe exclusiveness of owning a BMW or specialty vehicle, if you will. Yeah, I know they use PC hard drives and other components, but you get what I mean...

For me, the idea of having an Intel processor, which, what, 75% of the world's machines have in them? - Spoils the experience for me a bit.

Feel free to call me crazy, but it's getting less and less "fun" to be a mac owner with this transition. Ans yes, I have been through the other transitions, too, which pale in comparison.

Thoughts?

2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Yeah, it is a bit of a shock and even disappointment. However, as long as Macs continue to have the same look on the outside -- and no Intel Inside logo plastered to the front -- I'll get over it. It's just that us long-time Mac users have spent so long fighting the good fight against "Wintel" and now it feels like we've lost. Now whenever I use a Mac I will feel like I'm just using another PC clone -- a very expensive one at that. As inaccurate as that may be, that's what it seems like, and I've been using Macs for about 13 years now :(

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

As long as developers continue to develop for the Mac, I'll be fine. All that talk about OS/2 running Windows apps being the reason that OS/2 died makes me uneasy.

Then again, OS X is no OS/2!

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Ugh - You know, I could handle the "PC and Mac" iPod packaging and I even managed to get over the Firewire cable not being included in the box....but this...I just can't absorb it. Believe me, I know this is not a big deal, but I'm just a bit bummed.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

OS X and the dsign of these machines will continue to be the two things that attach me to this platform. They eff one of those up, and I may go.... :eek:

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

As long as OS X is vastly superior to Windows, I stay Apple.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You won't be a Mac owner as you think of it now, but you'll still be a Mac OS user.

Many people thought it would be neat if Apple delivered an Apple PC ... well, we got it.

Think of the actually seeing more regular CPU updates, from once a year we have a good chance of getting revised 2-4 times a year.

Think how shocking that'll be.

Plus the classes of CPU will go through more iterations as well. The G3/G4/G5 were rather slow.

We were basically Motorola and IBMs love puppets for years, about the only thing they didn't include with their promises was a tube of KY Jelly.

We lose out on the unique hardware and get an Apple PC, but look at the iPod and tell me it's just another MP3 player.

Fear not, the Apple PC will be an exiting PC -- and when was the last time anybody really said that about any volume PC or it's manufacturer?

8. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

I feel the same way. I was disappointed to hear about the Intel Macs. Now with the news that the Intel Macs may boot windows as well, I feel that Apple has sold out. :(

Edit: I still can't fathom the thought of a Pentium 4 iMac running windows. :eek:

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i said that we wont be known as Mac users but OS X users, and it has come to fruition so to speak.

but also if you want to think about it this way, the president of lamborginni said this about ferrari's

"ferrari's are nice, they are like the girl you go home to every night, but lamborginni is the hot chick you bang on the weekend."

^_~

anywho i still think of using Mac's that way compared to windows, so its still your lamborginni, but i don't have a ferrari thou :p

wow this is one weird post, but i knew i had to post this at some point

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha - for some reason I think most people don't really get it. It doesn't matter what CPU is in the box - its still OSX, Tiger, Leopard, whatever. What this change to Intel will do is only be more of a slap in the face for Windows users since we'll effectively have the same machines, but Apple's OS will far outshine Windows.

Its going to be quite interesting.....I'm looking forward to it :D

D

11. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Relax - you really think Apple will use Intel's everyday, ugly chips? HELL NO.

Picture This: The current G5 processor but in iPod White (Off-White) and says G6 in it. An Apple-Exclusive, Apple DRM, Apple G6 by Intel. Plus, it only works with LogicBoards.

12. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yea i believe that we are going to get something from intel that is going to be somewhat maybe superior to what pc's are going to be running and i think it will be an apple exclusive

im drooling to see what the powerbook is going to get ;)

13. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Hey, don't feel too bad, I also got it wrong.

I thought with MS, Sony and Nintendo climbing onboard the PPC bandwagon the future would be bright.

On the other hand, if one makes an effort to see things from Steve's point of view (hard I know, especially my negative balance bank account!), he sees himself being badly let down by IBM's overly optimistic projections. He probably also realizes with the gaming industry being what it is, Apple's now 4th/5th in line for whatever good chips come out of New York, which is still not that great compared to all the duff ones.

A few other reasons are the exploding lap top market. With Intel having exciting products just down the pike and IBM having, umm, well....forget it.

And lastly, as Steve pointed out, the current G5 chips are great (even if he did cuss under his breath IBM's inability to deliver adequate supplies), but keep in mind that Paul Otellini gave Steve a personal preview of what Intel is working on - things that you and I will not hear about for ages - and he's already been given the IBM preview too, so he jumped ships because Intel's offering's look far more exciting and promising to Apple in the long term than IBM's. Knowing of course that he just killed a years worth of hardware sales.

Short term loss for a substantial (at least that what he hopes) long term gain.

My 2c worth.

14. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You know something? I feel almost the same way you do. The "brain" of the Macintosh is now the same/similar to the "brain" of PCs. Before, well still, we had the PowerPC chip, now we're going to be using the samething thing Windows uses.

Some other things that came to me are:

- Yesterday at the Keynote, Steve had an Intel P4 @ 3.6Ghz, right? Well how would that compare to the 2.7Ghz PowerPC in speed? Basically if they offer a "3Ghz" Power Mac using Intel's chip (whatever that will be), won't the actual speed of it be about the same as a lower clocked PowerPC chip? I'm referring to the "Mhz Myth". We're going to need almost a 4Ghz Intel chip to equal the speed of a 3 Ghz PowerPC chip. Now I'm no expert on this, and I'm not even sure if a 3.6Ghz P4 equals to the 2.7Ghz PowerPC chip in speed, but that's the basic idea. Any thoughts?

I wonder if this new Intel chips will be the new G6 chips for Macs.....? I mean they can still call it a "G5/6", like G5 has nothing to do with the PowerPC chip in terms of naming at least.

15. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Mixed Emotions

I feel depressed and somewhat happy. For years I had to say how fast a PPC chip was in comparsion to the Intel style chip to my buddies. They never believed me, even though there were tests using real world apps that showed them. Now, I have to eat crow. Ugh, but if Intel can produce a chip that utilizes the Mac OS in such a way that still is superior to Windows great I am all for that. I will always use a Mac, because the OS is superior and the hardware is top-notch with the exception of Video cards. Maybe, Mac will infuse new life into Intel and get them off their butts and produce better chips. Personally, the OS is the Mac experience, not the chip. Remember this, the Mac is and always will be superior in producing your work (less downtime, less hardware failures, less maintenance). As long as my computing time is hassle-free great, then lets embrace the new chip and move forward. Apple is a innovator in the world of computing, not Intel. They were strapped with IBM and that is never a good position to be in. Now the Apple folk better offer me quad processors, a decent video card and easy-care machines.

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well I could care less about the "mystique" or "exclusivity" of owning a mac. It's all about Mac OSX. Anything that will IMPROVE the user experience is a GOOD thing. Who cares if it's an intel processor? Get over it... good god...

17. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

ya.. the os makes the big difference for me. that and the beauty of the hardware. i don't care about the processor as i should though. the main thing that angers me is how they took a huge leap to 64 bit processing and steps back to intel.

18. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Im sadden as well, but its still the same old computer really. I thought the G5 was a good processor, but the expandability in terms of speed increase and design (G5 Powerbook) lacks badly or so people say. So in the end we are getting a better deal overall.

I just hope people don't start to buy macs for there looks and run windows on it as there main pc. That will be disappointing and ruins the Apple brand as a elegant os and designed computer. Thats what i feel is the experience about owning Macs and the reason i switched. Thats assuming you can run windows.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

IMHO, they're going to stay away from the desktop Pentium line.

Steve Jobs was talking about performance per watt. The Pentium 4 does NOT have that from what I've seen. It is one of the hottest running desktop processors around. Yes, hotter than the G5.

When they showed the performance per watt chart during WWDC, only one processor gets that kind of power performance...the Pentium M (aka Centrino).

Remember CNN's report that the transition will start on the low end? Precisely correct- they'll start putting Pentium M's in Mac Minis, iMacs, and laptops (that's my prediction) while keeping G5's or whatever IBM comes out with in the PowerMacs for performance.

20. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I like that Steve said that OS X is cross platform. Perhaps more than two.
    Steve said a long time ago some to the effect that "we like options".
    I suspect there is more in that lab than just Intel processors running OS X.
    ( besides the obvious PPC)

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I hate Intel chips. They call the G5 hot and power-hungry? Look at the P4 figures! 80W and 80C doesn't sound too Mac-like.

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I hope so, the fact that the same chip is in an ugly box run by windows scares me.
    Steve said that OS X can now run an intel chips, any one have a clue on how to do it??

23. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

You need code compiled for Intel. The code in our Boxed copies of OS X is not universal, and dosen't have the code compiled to run on the Intel chipset.

24. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

As you can expect from my screen name, I am a long time apple fan, and LOVED the Motorola connection, since my family has worked for / with Motorola for years (not in the PC or Semiconductor area). I am kind of a Moto freak, I have Motorola Radios, phones, and devices that I knew beforehand contained Motorola chips, or components.

I was surprised that Apple moving to IBM didn't really bother me, except for the memories and ideas that Steve put into our heads about not trusting Big brother IBM back in the 80's.

Here is my uneducated, (somewhat angry and pissed) view of what happened at IBM. Like I said this is TOTALLY uneducated, and I really wish I knew what Really happened between IBM and Apple (behind closed doors)

To me it appears Big Brother IBM took advantage of Apple to get them off of Motorola. They promised them big, used Apple as a guinea pig to get Pure IBM PowerPC chips out on the mass market, and spread the word about the technology at Apples expense.

Other corporations like Microsoft got to use Apple systems with PowerPC G5 chips to R&D Future hardware that they would create using the PowerPC G5. Those companies like Microsoft were then hooked on the Technology (like IBM had hoped) and put in LARGE orders for IBM chips. Since Apple never really was "worth their time" , IBM continued to ignore requests to build faster and better for them, and spent their time working on Cell and other PowerPC products that they could pawn off to AV device manufacturers, and since Digital devices like Game consoles and such sell faster then Computers, IBM would hit a pot of gold with this strategy. It is only my thought that IBM then decided it was not going to renew any contract with apple, and is showing them the door as quickly as legally possible.

I know Freescale (motorola) was also a let down, but I still think the G4 is a great chip, even if they worked with IBM to create it. I am sad to see that AIM technology will no longer be part of Apple Hardware, but I am curious to see what the Hardware engineers at Apple can do with Intel chips.

Those Apple Hardware and Software engineers are some of the most flexible, and creative in the entire industry, I hope they can pull it off for all of us :)

Just posting thoughts..

25. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

Yes, there was a bit or Indie vs. Hollywood ( for the lack of a better analogy ) about Apple not using Intel chips.

Im still in the confusion stage. I love Mac OS, I love my G4 and G5, Im always excited about bigger better faster more when it comes to Apple.
    I switched in 2001. Do I/we really need a new OS every year and a new chip speed every 3-6 months? I just want my computer hardware and OS to be reliable, not F!ing me over like Windows (Ate my portfolio)

I would love to see Apple OS X take on Macrocrap Windoze (Foghorn) Leghorn in some form. But will this transition move Apple and Apple users closer to the den of Malice (Black Hat Hackers). Will Mac users have to add to their vocabulary the words of "Virus" "Trojan" "Worm" ... ( I dont want to re-add those words back into my vocab, I dont want to re-deal with problems I left behind when I switched) I dont want flaky software issues, I just need to get my work done. Are we the mac users ready to give up security and reliability for speed ? What will be the other problems that might arrise? ...

confusion...