i'm desprate!! Mail app isn't sending mail!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cb911, Jun 19, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i really have to get this sorted out. i can't send mail using the Mail app in OS X. i can receive mail fine, but for some reason i just can't send. it wasn't always like this, i did get to send 3 e-mails before it decided to ruin my life like this. now i have to use hotmail to send any e-mails. has anyone else had any problems like this?

i'm off to hotmail to e-mail Apple now...

no, wait.... now hotmail is going slow. oh well, i'll try my yahoo.com.au address.:rolleyes:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. GabrielX macrumors newbie

Re: i'm desprate!! Mail app isn't sending mail!!!

Check the connections. :)

Seriously, make sure that the POP/SMTP settings are configured right, if you aren't using mac.com email.

After that, contact your email provider to make sure its not a problem there.

Gabriel

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Check to make sure your account doesn't require authentication when sending email; what email account are you having trouble with? Is it your service provider's? Do you use more than one email account in Mail?

5. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i'll have to check that it doesn't require authentication to send mail. thanks Hemingray. i'll also check the connections again...

it's my mac.com account i'm having trouble with. and i've only got one account in Mail.

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Re: i'm desprate!! Mail app isn't sending mail!!!

yeah i got the same thing. i have no idea y it does this. 10.1.5 maybe? it worked fine till i got 10.1.5 and it also wont let my patched version of starcraft work either.

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

well its is very simple its your ISP......I'm on th same isp as you and I often have trouble sending mail sometimes....its just telstra trying to screw us around:(

8. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i'm on Optus for my cable internet. also, Mail was not sending in 10.1.4.
    everytime i try to send any e-mails an error message doesn't come up as soon as i send it, but the next time i open Mail there is a error message saying the the SMTP server smtp.mac.com couldn't recognize any of the recipeints. is this basically saying that the addresses i'm trying to send to don't exist? i'm sure that they are the right addresses, one is my hotmail account and the other is my yahoo.com.au account.

9. Wiltord_Green macrumors newbie

my mail ain't working

Did anyone happen to work out what the problem is with mail and how to fix it? Mine hasn't been working for a few weeks now. I have checked all the settings and they all appear to be correct.
    Anyone got a solution?

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

11. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

yeah, something happened with mail. I can still send and recieve, but sometimes it misses stuff on the server.:mad:

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

dammmmnit i still cant get it to frekin work!

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Do you guys have the DNS numbers set within the network preference panel? I know for things like iDisk to mount on the desktop, I have to put my Earthlink DNS numbers into the panel. Even though I am connecting via my airport base station and such.

Are you sure you need to use smtp.mac.com, have you tried simply 'mail.mac.com'??

Has anyone thought to call Apple to see if it is a known issue with your ISP and the Mail app? How about checked the knowledge base, or discussions on Apple's support site?

I've never used the mac.com mail... since I have six email addresses from Earthlink (via DSL). I have all six of them running from within Mail without any issue, so I doubt it is the Apple software.

14. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i just checked Mail this morning and all the mail that was in the outbox folder had moved to 'sent' mail. this might have happened yesterday when i changed the prefrences to "use authentication when sending mail" but i'm not sure. this morning i also changed the outgoing mail server from smtp.mac.com to mail.mac.com, but because i wasn't paying attention i don't know if it was the authentication or changing the mail.mac.com that fixed the problem.

i was also thinking, is Mail supposed to send any new e-mails to the 'outbox', and then send them when it also checks for new mail? for example i have it set to check for new mail every 5 minutes, so would this mean that new mail is sent every 5 minutes as well? just wondering.

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i just dont understand... i did what you did....change to mail.mac.com....and checked the box "use authentication when sending mail". what gives?

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Did you put your ISP's DNS numbers into your network field??

17. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

where is the network field?

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I just flashed you asking in the same way the guys from "Dude, where's my car" would have... :D

Open up the System Preferences (OS X doc), click on the 'network' item... select the way you are connecting to the internet (such as 'Airport' or 'Built-in Ethernet') there you will see the configure item (hope it's set to 'using DHCP' but that matters little). Where it has the heading 'Domain Name Servers (Optional)' is where you want to enter in the numbers... typically xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx type format. I would suggest placing your ISP name in the 'Search Domains (Optional)' field as well (such as earthlink.net :p)..

That help ya out, Stimpy??? :D

19. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

good news everyone!

i've finally got Mail working properly. all i did was change the smtp server to 'mail.mac.com' and enabled 'use authentication when sending'. anyway, i didn't have to do anything to the ISPs DNS numbers or anything like that. it's working great now, it even sends mail straight away!

good luck to all the others who are still having troubles.

20. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay its working for me now...no changing of numbers though. im still using smtp: though and it works. i dont know what happened.

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay man.... i know about that one... i just never heard it called "network field" ....sorry about that. heh.

im kick as*

*orange county mixture*