Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Deepdale said:
Justifying such an astronomical price is a challenge. Anybody shelling out that kind of $ should clearly set aside a separate fund for visits to the mental health clinic.

It's all that RAM - knock the memory back to a more reasonable amount like 4-8GB and you save $10,000-$12,000. Almost nobody needs 16GB.

I recently bought a maxed-out Dell Precision twin-Xeon box for the lab, and it ended up being about $7K with 4GB RAM, which is similar to this G5 (without display). It's the mad RAM and crazy big LCD that blow the cost out into the atmosphere.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
We talk about power machines like this, and we dream about what they could do. But you know has operating systems and software becomes more and more powerful, this will be needed. Who knows when, but even now the minimum RAM I would like to have on any machine with a GUI is 512megs. Right now I have a machine with 256megs, a machine with 96megs, and two with 64megs. My biggest computer is the one I am on now. Now sure how many the Powerbook I get will have, it depends on when I get the Powerbook and how much I have to spend when I get it. I have considered getting a G3 and just upgrading to what I need to run Tiger (500Mhz Pismo with 512megs of RAM would run Tiger, I think). Anyhow, next year I will be drooling over something new, we just keep getting more and more powerful in the computer world. My point, even the old stuff isn't so bad :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.