I'm dying to order a new iBook. Should I wait till after Macworld?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amberashby, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. amberashby macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    #1
    I know exactly what I want to order, but keep telling myself to wait till next Tuesday to order just in case they announce a change or a drop in price. I know it's now likely since they just revised the iBook.

    I'm going to order bluetooth as well as the 60gb hard drive so I wouldn't be able to return it.

    The wait is killing me.
     
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #2
    Dont bother, just go get it. they just put the g4 in them so i wouldnt expect any changes for awhile.
     
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

    crazzyeddie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #3
    Nope, it was JUST updated, unless you think you might want to order a new iPod or something new with it, just go ahead and buy it. One other thing you may want to consider is that if Apple releases a new version of iLife, you might not qualify for a free update if you buy before it is released...
     
  4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2002
    Location:
    at the edge
    #4
    It's only a week away. I would wait just in case. Even though chances of an update are slim. Wouldn't you just hate it if you bought one and then they announced something next week that you missed out on? Maybe there will be some new software that will be bundled with new hardware, but everyone else will have to pay for it. That's actually quite likely.
     
  5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

    rainman::|:|

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2002
    Location:
    iowa
    #5
    As a general rule, don't buy for a couple of weeks preceeding events of this size, you never know and it may be worth the wait.

    paul
     
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #6
    If you don't need a iBook G4 NOW , wait...

    You never know what Apple is planning on the low end.

    If you need a iBook G3 with OS 9 bootability, they'll be gone soon.

    But Apple has been trying to stay away from MWSF H/W announcements, so the new equipment may be coming out in the Feb-March time frame.
     
  7. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    #7
    Ok you guys. You convinced me. I'll wait another week. :-(

    May as well start working on my Ebay listing for my Dell notebook.
     
  8. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

    hugemullens

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2002
    Location:
    Michigan
    #8
    I would doubt any updates are coming. but if you can i would certianly wait. Last year apple updated the 15 powerbooks in november i think it was, and wham, january brought the 15's to 1ghz and the 12 and 17 if i remember right.
     
  9. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    #9
    Didn't think about software updates. I'll definitely wait. Thanks all.
     
  10. jtown macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2003
    #10
    Might get a price drop, too. I wouldn't count on it but I never dreamed they'd put a G4 in the ibook line so what do I know? :)
     
  11. nslyax macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2002
    Location:
    Holland, MI
    #11
    I bought an ibook early last december, figuring on no ibook updates at Macworld. Then the 12" PowerBooks came out, and I wished I had waited. You never know what might happen at a MacWorld.
     
  12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #12
    Normally I'd say just buy it, but since MWSF is only a week away, you might as well wait just in case. But since the iBooks were just updated, and with a G4 nonetheless, I don't see anymore updates to the iBooks for quite a while. So go ahead and pick one up!
     
  13. Awimoway macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2002
    Location:
    at the edge
    #13
    Dude, I bet you're glad you waited now, huh? You'll get the new iLife for NO cost. That's worth a week's waiting, in my book. :)
     
  14. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    #14
    I ordered on the 7th and it it shipping today. Do you think iLife 2004 will be preloaded even though it isn't released yet? Otherwise I'll still have to pay $19.99 for the update. I can get it for $29 with my student discount anyway. Not sure $10 was worth the extra 2 week wait.
     
  15. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

    Steven1621

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
  16. Westside guy macrumors 601

    Westside guy

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2003
    Location:
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    #16
    I'd wait until after MWSF if I were you.

    /me ducks...
     

Share This Page