I'm flip-flopping again...

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Nov 13, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

At first i was going to buy PS3+Resistance and Wii+Zelda.

Then because I wanted FFXII (its so sweet) and GoW (its not as sweet, but still sweet) I decided Wii could wait. So I bought FFXII and GoW.

I Have $900 sitting in my bank account. I have Resistance paid in EB credit.

A PS3 is $745.79 after tax here in BC Canada. A Wii with Zelda is $384.17 after tax.

$1129.96 total.

I am $229.96 cents short of owning both. I watched some Zelda videos and now I really wanna play it. Like...really...really....r..e..a..l..l..y wanna play it.

Now I have a dilema. Do I buy the PS3 like I wanted, put the extra $150 on my credit card to help pay if off and wait until later to buy a Wii.

OR

should I do the irresponsible thing, buy my PS3, then spend the extra $230 bucks and buy Wii so I can enjoy Zelda? I have some crap I can trade in/sell so I could probably get Zelda for next to nothing out of my own pocket.

Complicating matters is my girlfriend is moving here in early January, after I get to spend 19 glorious days of my semester break in -30C weather (yay....) I get the feeling I won't have any money to buy a Wii/anything/have fun/have a life once she is here so perhaps it would be better to take the hit now...then I already have it and I won't feel guilty about spending $300+ on another video game system instead of ya know... on her.

Decisions, decisions... :(

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'd buy the PS3, eBay it, and then go Wiiiiiiiiii crazy, especially if that's what you *really* want to play.

The best part is you can just stick that $1K of profit in the bank and in March have the best of both worlds.

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I don't do the ebay thing. I actually want a PS3.

I don't really want a Wii that bad, i just wanna play Zelda. And I sold my cube because originally I was going to buy a Wii on launch.

what picks me is I waited in line for a PS3 preorder, I was number 9 and they only gave out 8 *doh* But I could have gotten a Wii preorder but at that point I had decided not to get one! *Double doh* Ah well...I hope there are lots of them around.

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Apparently not that much since you posted this thread. :)

That's my entire point. If you really wanted one you wouldn't think about not getting one. (Oooh, double-negative)

So you don't have a preorder for either? That may make it a lot easier decision then...you'll be getting a Wii.

5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

No I do want a PS3. I am buying one regardless. The question is, should I buy a Wii, or save the leftover money I have?

I am going to try to get a PS3. If that fails, then i am just going to order one from Bestbuy.ca, even if they are out of stock, and when it ships, it ships. I don't wanna play the whole 'waiting-for-the-next-shipment' game like my friend did while trying to get his 360. If I don't get it until January, whatever! at least I will have it ordered.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Me personally, if I only have $900 in my bank accounts, the last thing I would do it is blow it all on video games. Serisouly, you can't really play all those games at once and that is a lot of money to spend to play basically 3 games. As I've gotten older (24 now) I realized that I don't need to play every game the second it is released. The game isn't going anywhere and I can get them a month or 2 later and still enjoy them just as much.

I would personally just get one of the systems and hold off on the other until you have enough money to pay now, I never do credit cards, I don't want to have to owe money.

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I know you want a PS3, and perhaps you'd even manage to get one if you were lucky... but I'd still suggest you wait.

Pick up the Wii+Zelda, and then save your money until you finish FFXII, GoW, and Zelda. By that time you'll probably not only have more money, but probably have a better chance at getting a PS3... plus there might even be more/better games then Resistance by then.

Point is, you could probably stay plenty busy for quite some time without paying $800 for Resistance.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

buy Zelda on the cube and save yourself a small fortune for now. If there is nothing else on the wii you want at launch.

If you dont have a cube, I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a refurb second hand one very soon (as people trade them in for wii's) for next to nothing ($50 Canadian)..

9. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well the $900 was partially freebie government money and partially money I have saved. My credit card took a beating because I had to fork out $750 for my flight and my girlfriends flight back here (her xmas present) and I had some pressing school stuff to pay for.

but the point being is I don't feel guilty about spending the money I have saved because the reason I saved it was to get something that I want, and i want a PS3/Zelda.

I regret buying GoW. It's fun but im not into multiplayer so the short campaign (2/3's through in one night) picks me a little. I guess I got caught up in the hype around it :D I should have rented it for $5 instead of buying it. That's another $70 I could have put towards towards something else. Ah well.

I guess I will have to ponder it this week. See how I feel, see how much the next payday is, etc.

And I would rather put the $50 towards a Wii since I know I will want one anyway. This whole thing is just a matter of do I want to put the money up front now? Or wait till later? Because I know I will buy both at sometime. And it won't be before the price drops, I'm not that patient :D

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll buy GOW from you if ye want... I'd pay $51 canadian ;)

11. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

out of curiousity, why $51?

But I am gonna keep it because I know you will buy it anyways and then I can kick your sorry Irish ass at it ;)

I will take $51 though :D thanks! you're a real pal, mail it to...

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! $51 is €35 (price of it from play-asia) ;) :D I'll get a euro copy on friday. look forward to an ass kicking :D :D :D

ok i'll take the ps3... fair trade ? :D

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Best advice ever.

For the money you make selling a PS3, you can then immediately buy a Wii with four controllers and a couple of games *AND* buy a PS3 the moment they are freely available as well.

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I flip-flopped over the weekend on another (similar) decision.

I had my Wii money all ready to go, but started having doubts not only about the launch lineup (other than Zelda, I'm not that impressed since I already have Trauma Center: Under The Knife for the DS), but also I can't help but wonder...ok, the controller will be fun and new. But for how long? Will it be something that's boring after 15 minutes, or will it keep your interest? Me = I don't really think it has that much longevity at least in the sense of "ooh wow a new way to play games". I'm sure they'll come up with great ideas, but the main idea (I'd call it a 'gimmick' but I don't believe it's a gimmick) behind the design...how long will it be "cool" and not "boring". Don't get me wrong...I think the Wii is a neat console and I think the entire package is a neat idea. But I really want to see more before I buy one (which is the same sentiment I had about the DS until it was out for over a year and a half before I wanted one).

So after wanting Gears of War really bad, I used all my Wii money (+ some extra saved up already) and bought a Premium 360, GoW, CoD3, and Dead Rising, and I couldn't be happier. I'll get Zelda for the Gamecube next month, and maybe sometime next year when the Wii has more to offer down the road, and (hopefully) has a price drop or a better pack in than Wii Sports, I'll pick one up.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have the exact same thoughts and I did the same with the DS too, waited till it was out a while (about a year or more) before I got it too.

And I'm also doing exactly the same as you, getting Zelda on cube and sometime next year get a wii when there are more games that I want for it.. Sure the wii will be great in 6 - 12 months, but the initial launch titles dont interest me other than Zelda...

I got my copy of COD3 today in the mail, and will be getting GOW on friday, and viva pinata any day soon (i hope)...

16. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

You sound like me last week 360 or Wii? I went the 360 :eek:

17. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

18. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Maybe I will flip a coin, or call Miss Cleo up to ask her what the future holds if I buy one or not :D

19. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    save your money. The Wii, just like the GC, will have such a limited range of games that you might as well. Get the PS3.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Buy a new Mac or Pc. Pc's rule for gaming. skip the consoles.

22. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I am getting a PS3.

I just don't know if I should get a Wii as well, or wait till next year to buy a Wii.

And nah, Mac's suck for gaming. And a new PC would be nice, but spending $800+ on a DX10 graphic card doesn't appeal to me very much. At least i won't need to upgrade my PS3 in two years when Doom 4 comes out ;)

23. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I was just playing Zelda... and man its awesome, though you can just get a cheapass gamecube and play it on that and still get the PS3, supposedly the wii control scheme is a big jump but Zelda on a gamepad is still classic Zelda and should still be a AAAA title.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Anyone else getting fed up with Dont Hurt Me's comments? I mean the OP clearly wants a console, he wants the games on it. How much are you going to have to pay for a system comparable or beyond that of a 360? Will it even play Resistance, Zelda, MGS or co?

At least offer reasons why PC/Mac is better suited to the OP. :cool:

Onizuka, cummon mate. you've seen the Wii line up. All it's missing is a racing sim and traditional style RPG. You think Nintendo are going to continue making 3rd party mistakes? have you seen the incentives for new studios to get working on the Wii? It's a whole different game now for both Wii and PS3 compared to predecessors.

25. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I just report him (and others) and move on with life.