I'm getting a bunch of eMacs from my workplace for $50/ea.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hierobryan, Aug 21, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

I think they're the top of the line eMacs, with the following specs:

17-inch CRT 1280 x 960
    1.42GHz G4 Processor
    512MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR RAM
    160GB HDD
    SuperDrive (2.4x DVD+R DL)
    ATI Radeon 9600 with AGP 4x
    3 x USB 2.0
    2 x Firewire 400 ports
    18-watt stereo speakers
    Microphone
    External VGA port

Is this worth $50? How much RAM can it use? Wikipedia says up to 2GB with 1GB officially supported. How do I allow it to use 2GB? Do I just stick in 2GB and it automatically works? Anyone know what kind of hard drive interface it uses?

2. macrumors newbie

To help determine if they are worth it, what would you be using them for? or are you just a collector like me :)

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm just getting one for myself as a base station type thing to connect my Macbook and external HD to since I don't have a desktop, and to use as a torrent downloader while I'm at work. The rest are going to family and friends. I might sell some locally since I'd probably lose money by putting them on Ebay when I have to pay for shipping (I live in Hawaii).

4. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

$50 is absolutely worth it. Based on those specs you posted, I'd say they're worth at least $200 each.

The eMac can have up to 2GB of RAM.

5. macrumors newbie

$50 seems like a decent price, i'd use them for only basic stuff though, nothing heavy duty :)

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have one going to my mom, who currently uses my old Windows XP Pentium 4 PC. I'm glad to finally switch her to a Mac so I can stop troubleshooting her various PC problems :)

One going to my younger brother, who already has a fast PC and doesn't need a Mac.

One going to my grandpa, who will probably throw it in his garage along with all his other unused/recycled junk. My grandpa came from the depression era, so he's a major packrat.

6 going to my older brother who wants to keep one or two and return the PC he just bought from Costco, then sell the rest.

7. macrumors newbie

i'm not too sure about the ram since i have never dealt with these eMacs before :( i found a bunch of articles that do say it goes up to 2GB. As soon as you do fill 'em up try running apple hardware diagnostics if you happen to have a cd, or you can torrent one >:D

8. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

You're right, this model will support 2Gb of RAM since it uses PC2700 RAM instead of the PC133 sticks like the older ones. $50 is a steal for those.

9. macrumors 65816

300D

Those are definitely worth $50/ea. Grab 'em!

Besides weighing 50lbs, so shipping will be $$$, it would be easy to flip those for a profit.

10. macrumors 6502

No one in their right mind would pay $200 for an eMac, $50 is a good price. I wouldn't expect to sell them for much over $100, if your lucky.

11. MTI
    macrumors 65816

Well, if you limit your customer base like that . . . you'll never know. A quick tour of anyone's local Craigslist computer section will usually result in finding some interesting pricing on Apple gear.

12. macrumors 6502

I'm just being realistic, posted prices don't mean anything on CL hahaha

13. macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I'll buy one? xD. Shows the price is a steal (y) Can't believe that weighs 50lbs!! Try shipping that to the UK... $165USD via USPS. No thanks? xD