I'm getting a new car!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingcrowing, Jul 11, 2005.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Ok, so i found in the paper, a 1977 Mercedes Benz 240D, D=Diesel=full sized 4 door/5 seater that gets 35MPG=me very happy! it's s really awesome car, and the original owner bought it in 1977 and still has it, and it's only got 130,000 miles on it (for a 28 year old car... thats awesome) so i went to look at it and its in great condition, theres a tiny bit of rust at the bottoms of the doors, but its hardly worth mentioning, i might get it fixed if its not too expensive, but im thinking i might convert it to a biodiesel so it will run off of veggie oil, which i could get for free from a fast food joint or a chinese restraunt, i'm not getting it till this weekend, but here's the same year/model/color as the one i'm getting, it's quite awesome :D

http://showcase.netins.net/web/dondeb/benz-rain.jpg

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

sounds sweet dude, biodiesel is not as easy as it sounds though i did a design project on it fot uni and there is a lot of work in it and a high initial outlay, it would be good though

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

4. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

hmm... tough choice, i'll keep my options open :rolleyes:

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

nice. looks like a really cool car :cool: and the gas mileage is pretty awesome for a car like that :D

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Hey keep us updated on the Biodiesel conversion. I am interested in seeing how that works. Sweet ride though, especially when it is a biodiesel one.

7. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

we'll i belong to a co-op (you like buy a share from this farm every year and you get a ertian percentage of their crops every season) and its a couple that runs it, and the guy is really into the biodiesel thing, and i know if i get the stuff he would totally help me out and get me set up, now i just need the stuff...

http://www.greasecar.com/product_detail.cfm?prodID=17

as you can see, $795 is kind of a lot of money, but if i did it, it would be so great for the environment, so if you really care about the envrionment, but dont have the time/energy/access to a diesel car then help me out! you can paypal me money, kingcrowing@yahoo.com or you can PM for my address and send me cash/check/money order etc. and i can guarentee you that your investmen will be put towars buying this kit, i will post updates once i get enought money to buy the kit! thanks a lot!

8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Thats pretty cool stuff. Here in maine that would only work effieciently in the summer though. Something tells me on a cold (-10 degress F or colder) morning, that by the time the vegi oil thinned enough to be burnable I would be on at least a couple hour trip. But good for anyone in a warmer state. On a side note, there are several people here in maine running Bio-Diesel, it does fine in the cold...well, just as well as any other diesel :)

9. Illmatic macrumors member

Or you guys could help me out by sending me donations to pay for the premium gas needed to run my new GTO. Im up to $50 to fill her up now. Everytime I'm at the pump I wonder why in the hell I got it, then I get in and blow out every rice burner and Mustang on the road and I remember. :)

10. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Actually, the kits from greasecar that were linked to above include a heating element in the tank and I believe around the grease lines to heat it up to a workable temperature. In those kits, you actually keep the entire original diesel fuel system, and start up using that system. After a minute or two, after the grease system is preheated, you flip a switch, and run on pure grease for the remainder of your trip. SO you would still need to buy diesel.. but probably only like a gallon every two months or something silly like that.

11. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

yeah, that system is better than biodiesel (its called SVO or stright vegtable oil) and if i ever went on a long trip, i could get regular diesel and not have to worry about finding as chinese or fast food restraunt if there wernt any around

12. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Well, i got my car the other day, and it's pretty awesome, I cleaned it up on the inside yesterday and i'm getting my stereo (an alpine reciever, 2 alpine speakers in the back and a couple of rockfords in the front) installed tomorrow and i'm going to get it washed, so i'll post some pics tomorrow afternoon for everyone to enjoy!

13. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

My mom had that car when I was just a litte boy (like 8 years old).

As sporty and flashy as the new mercedes look the old old ones still have a nice classic charm to them. I have a '04 E320 CDi (diesel) and it gets incredible gas mileage, its pretty spacious, doesn't smell like a diesel, and seems more like a gas car.

I'm looking at getting the New Range Rover Supercharged (Sell my '03 and '01 Range Rover), or get the Range Rover HSE or Range Rover Sport Supercharged and just sell my '03. I have to go to the dealership and find more about the differences between the RR and the RRS.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Nice looking car, wish you a lot of luck. I just purchased a new Volvo, hoping that it will last at least 10 - 15 years. This give's me reason to be very optimistic that it might allow for an even longer life. Thought I wonder what just has to be done to a car for it to have a long life like that.

15. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

I love the smell of burning diesel fuel in the morning

"It smells like VICTORY" :p

Diesel addict myself (always drive them nothing to do with price over here :)

Have a VW Golf GT Tdi 140 hp and 236 Ft/lbs of Torque and getting about 47 imp MPG and not really trying to drive for economy.

Low CO2 output, safety from fire in accidents, dont have to rev the thing through the stratosphere Honda style before the dam thing wakes up.

Pretty compelling really :D