I'm getting a new iMac!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macrlz9, Oct 3, 2005.

1. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Let me first start off by saying, I've never had a really good computer. I started off with the original blueberry iBook like 2 years ago then got upgraded to a 366mhz indigo iBook and ended up with a 700mhz iBook last year. I actually ordered a Mac mini and i was one of the first people to receive it. It is the Mac mini in my sig. It has been a good computer but i've never had a comptuer that was powerfull really. So yesterday I treated myself as a spur of the moment decision to buy a 2Ghz 20" iMac :) I think this iMac is a really good value considering what you get. How much do you think I will notice an improvement? I want to rid myself of my Mac mini, should I try ebay? Thanks for your imput guys.

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

3. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I haven't been able to afford anything decent until now. So I'm looking forward to my first nice new computer (i'm not really counting the mac mini cuz it is like bottom line technology)

4. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Congrats, i am very envious at the current iMac line. The Rev.B seems like a big jump from the Rev.A; so it must be a huge jump for you to go from a Mini to an iMac.
    Well congrats again and post pics when u receive it!!! :D

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

You will notice a big gain in performance when it comes to video editing, and games. The iMac handily beats the mini in those areas. Enjoy your new machine and congrats!

6. jmufellow macrumors regular

Yeah, have fun with it! I want to get an iMac too sometime in the future for video editing and stuff. BTW, that 20" screen is huge!

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I ordered our first Mac, the 17inch 1.8Ghz iMac yesterday. Got a ton of family video to get done and our Centrino Laptop just wasn't coping very well. Seemed like a good enough excuse.

We have a 19inch LCD spare as well, which should come in useful for extra screen space, if needed, using the screen spanning hack.

I bought the Applecare as well, since I don't trust the 'all-in-one' approach much, but like the price/spec between G4-and power-mac.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Congrats on your purchase macrlz9. The new iMac G5s are awesome machines- enjoy!!! :)

P.S.- looking forward to seeing some nice pics of your setup when it arrives. :)

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You should notice a big improvement macrlz9. I've heard a lot of good things about the iMac G5. More RAM will also noticeable improvement, purchase the amount that you can afford.

You should try listing your Mac mini here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=30505

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I have both an iMac (20" 1.8) and a powerbook 1.33, and i have to say that for a lot of things the iMac is much snappier. I think the difference between the new iMac and the mini would even bigger.

Enjoy our iMac :p

11. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

congrats imacs are great computers

imo theyre the best value of any computer apple makes

12. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Amen to that, the rest of the apple line at the mo' is just...meh'

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Congrats on your purchase! The iMac is a GREAT computer package.

I replaced a 1.5 GHz Powerbook with a 20" iMac and the iMac is notably and substantially faster--and that with the stock RAM vs. the Powerbook having 1 Gb. The iMac now has 2 Gb of RAM and is, as you'd expect, even faster--noticeably so.

Enjoy!

Bob

14. tvguru macrumors 6502

I ordered mine on Sept. 20th should be here any day now. The one company Apple uses to ship to Canada really sucks. Should be worth the wait though. Congrats on your purchase.

15. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I had a 20" iMac G5 rev A and I didn't like it at all. It was always running very hot, so the fans were constantly spinning like hell which is very annoying. I was not impressed with the crappy video that was in it. The only things I liked was the beautiful 20" Widescreen display, and the speed, but the constant noise and heat would always overcome the display and speed. So I only had it for 3 months and I ended up selling it for a 17" PowerBook which is soooo much better IMO. The speed difference is minimal, if not non-existant. Somethings run faster on this PowerBook than with my iMac. IMO, G5's should NOT be in a 2" enclosure for the same reasons why they can't create a G5 PowerBook.

Flame me all you want, but this is my opinion from my iMac G5 experiences. Maybe the Rev B iMacs are better, but I doubt it with everything faster and the same cooling system.

The current iMac G5's are an awesome deal. Nothing even comes close IMO. I just hope that this fast selling iMac doesn't run into a huge recall for overheating logicboard components, pushing out capacitors, etc...

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Mklos--

I know what you mean re heat and fans--on mine, the fan comes on often when playing Civ 3, but rarely if I'm doing actual work on it--I'm a lawyer, so I'm just using mail, web, and Word. I do have to say the fan isn't particularly objectionable to me, but I can certainly see how it could be to someone else!

Re overheated logic boards, etc.--the iMac I had was replaced because the 56K modem would overheat after a while and refuse to connect--distortion was audible over the dialing and handshaking. From my days in audio, that is a sign of an overcooked capacitor. The new one has been fine.

I do have to say I've noticed the iMac is noticeably faster--on everything I've done on it so far--than my Powerbook was. But that is about as close to a "flame" as I can get. . .

Best,

Bob

17. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

almost here!

ok fedex says it's on the vehicle for delivery so it should be soon. I hope there are no dead pixels. With my Mac mini I have 1 dead pixel on my 17" LCD and it drives me nuts! I do hear a lot of people with heat problems and things like that with their iMac G5's so I hope I don't have any problems. I heard that you can set the processor performance just like you can on iBooks? If so will it hurt to run in highest mode? I know when I had my iBook automatic just didn't cut it speed wise.

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes you can set the processor performance. No it shouldn't 'hurt' it to do so in the highest mode. The only thing is you might notice the fans more... So if I'm computing later at night/earlier in the morning/ or if it is very warm in the room I will either set my iMac back to automatic or even reduced (depending also on what I'm doing).

Congrats on your new baby! You'll love it... I've grown to truly love my iMac.

19. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

ok well i got the iMac and it is beautiful!!! only a couple concerns though... One small one is on my desktop i have the preference set to display info so it shows the HD space under my HD icon. But it looks weird like there isn't enough room to display it. it looks like 24...3.4 free maybe its cuz the hd is 250gb there isn't enough room to display the hd size and free space. Also i downloaded a utility to tell me the HD and processor temp and it's about 150F is this normal? my fans aren't getting loud or anything but on apple's website the highest it says it should be is 80F other iMac owners, what is the temp of your hd and processor? i figured it is ok since my fans aren't blowing like crazy though.