Im getting a new Tv (plasma)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by albertfreestyle, Oct 5, 2006.

1. albertfreestyle macrumors member

So I am starting to shop around for a new plasma to hang on the wall...
    I came across this one...Ive never seen the lighting effect in person...has anyone else?

I like phillips and sony...dont know much about TV's but I really want a shiny black frame rather than silver (haha)...my budget is about $2000 and I'd like to have at least a 42 inch (or larger for the price)...

so can someone tell me what up...i really like this one...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11172783&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+40 00000&N=4001381%204294966669&Mo=3&pos=0&No=2&Nr=P_ CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=& topnav=

I guess I should also mention...that I do not suscribe to cable as I dont watch TV much at all...just a few documentaries here and there...a little curb, x files or seinfeld...I also plan on upgrading my DVD to the one that upgrades your dvd to HD like quality...

thanks for your help with my purchase...

2. iDrifter macrumors member

iDrifter

If you don't spend that much time watching TV, then why are you spending the big bucks on plasma TV? If you really need a flat panel TV research the LCD models. You might find that plasma TV are not all that great in comparison to the LCDs.

3. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I used to work at Sears. Philips is a decent brand (pretty reliable, much better than either Sylvania or Magnavox but not as reliable as Sony or Panasonic).

The ambilight television is very cool - initially, I thought that its lighting effect was just a marketing gimmick, but it actually does make quite the difference (especially with movies).

4. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

be careful of burn-in, but Philips makes some pretty good tvs :D

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have heard that the plasmas have a few issues, I would look into it a little further and perhaps compare the LCD and DLP TVs with the plasma's.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm yet to see an LCD TV with an image that I like. They're either too pale, too ghosty when there's motion or just look terrible.

Plasma screens on the other hand look great, proper blacks, no trails from watching sports and the actors don't look like they're behind mesh. Newer versions have much longer running times than the earlier ones and are far less susceptible to burn in. I'd buy a plasma over an LCD any day of the week for my main TV screen. Sure they're mainly lower in resolution but resolution isn't everything.

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

from what I've seen first-hand, DLP is far and away the best thing going, the only downside being that they're freakin' huge and also just ungodly heavy...no hanging one of those suckers on a wall.

8. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

LCD's are too pricey for a 42" or higher television...so thats why I am going with plasma...yes i know that 720dpi are the cheap ones and the 1080dpi are WAY better but those are also too pricey right now...

I have a $1500 budget for the TV and the 42" plasma's (720 dpi) are in those price range...and it has to be black...not silver...

can anyone tell me otherwise or show me what would be a better option?

i plan on buying the dvd upconversion also...($100)

thanks again for the info!

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

720 dpi would be super in a 42" TV. :p (it's not dots per inch, it's the total resolution 720p where the p means progressive).

Prices for LCDs ~40" are coming down sharply. I bought (and recommend) a Samsung 40" LCD (LN-S4051D) a few months ago and saw it at BestBuy this weekend for $1950 when I paid a few hundred more than that... With a coupon or online you might be able to get it for close to your target price.

B

10. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The Philips ambilight technology really is quite neat, especially the second generation. One of the problems is that you have to have a wall that is white or near-white to get the most out of it and the panel needs to be parallel to the wall.

The image quality from Philips is quite exceptional. I've seen both the plasmas and lcds from that series in action, and was pleasantly surprised. Then again for that kind of money they should be good.

If I were you I'd spend some more time looking into LCD panels. You can get 42inch screens for reasonable prices these days. Plasma is kind of on its way out and suffers from annoying things like picture burn in.

11. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

12. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

there are quite a bit of LCD's that I am comparing online (bestbuy.com)
    if i were to go with LCD I cannot afford a 42" or above...it would be like 32" or 37"

which would be fine if the picture was cool...any recommendations under $2000 (preferred $1500-$1800 or less)

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've got the 27" version of that Toshiba, plus the aforementioned 40" Samsung (which would be in your < $2000 price range). The built-in DVD is convenient, but the UI on the Toshiba sucks. The Sammy is much easier to use. (IMHO of course)

I definitely recommend checking them out in person...

B

14. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

ok so your telling me that LCD would be better for me than the plasma?

and with the upconversion dvd player...it will give me a near HD quality player?

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Buy a plasma if: You want to risk burn in, hums, or watch the color fade over time, and in about 5-7 years you'll have something worth about 100 bucks.

Buy a tube TV (flat screen) if you want none of the above, but still in TV form.

Buy a CRT projector (rear projected onto a screen from a mirror is best, but the front will do okay too) if you want the best picture quality, period.

LCD isn't worth the money, stay away from it.

16. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

No.

Plasmas (from name brands, i.e. Sony and Panasonic), are rated for 20 years.

LCDs do have great picture quality/reliability, but are very pricey.

DLP is personally my favorite - it's affordable, the picture quality is great, and the resolution is high (although you'll need to replace the bulb every few years)

CRTs are old, fading-away technology - the Sears I worked at sold a whopping 3 models (2 under 1000 bucks). The viewing angle was terrible, the contrast ratio was very low - the only reason to buy one would be if you were on a massive budget and putting it in a room with no windows.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No for me LCD was the choice. I had ruled out plasma a while back simply on weight. A typical LCD is ~50 lbs while a plasma will weigh 25-30 lbs more. Power consumption was also an issue as I waned something less power hungry than my old CRT.

The only point I was trying to make (if any) is that LCD prices in the ~40-42" range are now becoming quite competitive with plasma. Performance isn't that far behind either... By this time next year, plasmas will have a hard time competing with LCD in the 42" size, though they may retain a niche at 50" for a wile longer...

FWIW I didn't select or pay for the Toshiba, and it's a fine TV to replace the old 20" CRT we had in the guest room, but the Samsung we have downstairs is miles ahead in terms of picture quality and user interface, both things that far outweigh the built-in slot-loading DVD player....

B

18. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Sears? Does Sears sell anything as high-end as Runco? No? Yeah, there is no better picture on the planet then a rear projected CRT projector. There is no "viewing angle" on a projector. It's like having your own personal movie theater screen in your home, minus the projector being behind you, because the picture is reflected off a mirror and onto the screen from behind the actual screen.

Despite what Plasma's are rated at (and I installed Mitsubishi, Pioneer, Phillips, Sony, etc.), they can hum, they can ghost, and they can fade in no time. I'm not talking your average ho-hum Best Buy install patch-job, I'm talking 5-20 million dollar homes, with people who wanted true home theaters. That technology is vastly cheaper than 5 years ago, and it's worth it now for average consumers.

20. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Plasma max resolution (right now - and according to industry experts likely forever) is 720.

LCD is full-spec 1080.

You may be seeing that reflected in the price.

I've got an Aquos in my future...

21. HughJ macrumors regular

totally agree 100% i own both a plasma and an LCD as do my parents (except both of their units are Viera's) and a plasma wins hands down time and time again

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

LCD can be 1080, but many of the affordable ones are 720 or 768... I agree that the time will come when 1080p is standard on LCDs, while that's quite unlikely on plasmas.

As far as I am concerned that'll only matter when there is something to watch in 1080p, since 1080i (or as some call it 540i) and 720p both look pretty good on a 720 display.

B

23. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

ok so lets have a vote..all who have replied to the post...

LCD -vs- Plasma

I have mentioned quite a few (links provided) and Im getting ready to make that trip to best buy (costco has weak selection) ...

Im leaning on the plasma so far...

24. iDrifter macrumors member

iDrifter

Include on your poll: I don't watch TV that much and don't care.