I'm getting sent to Iraq

Discussion in 'Community' started by DakotaGuy, Nov 6, 2003.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Nothing official, just got put on alert today for up to a year, boots on the ground in Iraq. I am upset, but I signed the papers years ago. The Guards was always for college money and a nice part time job for a teacher, but I guess times have changed. Hopefully we don't get sent off before Christmas, but who knows. I will let you guys know when I am actually getting activated. This has been a hard day for me, over a year away from family and friends, seems so long....please don't let this thread turn political because I don't mean it to be, just wanted you guys to know what was going on in my life and if you don't see me on macrumors until 2005 that would be the reason why.

It will be weird to be out of touch with everything until the spring of 2005. If I can say one good thing about getting sent, it will be the money as an officer that I will make there, but the conditions will suck. Well I already said when I get home I am going to treat myself to a G5 or whatever is rocking at the time. I am almost in tears over this and believe it or not the fact that I will save up thousands while I am there does help a little as long as I can come home in one piece. This is a tough day, I had to tell my 5th graders and most had tears in their eyes...yes...war is hell especially when you have to live it, and it's scary when you don't know what to expect...

2. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Best of luck to you. I'm sure we all wish you a safe return.

3. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Gotta be careful when you sign up, reserves or not. Be safe over there, let your training take care of your reflexes and don't try to be a hero.

Be safe and we support you :)

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Good luck and keep safe!

Try and treat it like an adventure if possible - its going to have its moments, both good and bad.

Any chance you'd be able to take pics while you're there? And what will you be doing?

Looking forward to your safe return! :D

D

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Wow...just take it as fate dealing u a necessary card. A year away will be tough, but something is meant from it.

U should take some photos while there though...it's something not many people will get to experience.

6. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

I served in the Air Force, and although war is tough, I believe you need to understand the importance of signing up in the military. Just because you didnt expect to get activated, you should not be upset. Ignorance is not an excuse. Thats like the cop who thought policing is only donuts, and traffic tickets. sure, 90% of the time that is true, but you may have to shoot someone one day as a cop. Take care, buy an iPod, and be safe.

I still remember flying to Diego Garcia in a Buff with the iPod playing Metallica over the Intercomm system.

** *B-52H crewmember, with missions over Iraq and Afganistan....****

7. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I spent one tour (~1 yr.) in S. Korea. No open hostilities, but my entire year was a bit white-knuckled. I commizerate.

Keep your head down and come back safely. You'll be home before you know it.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i hope you do your job well and i am sure you will. it means a lot to probably most on this thread that you are representing our country. ill keep you in the prayers. and just think, when you get back there will be like a dual 4ghz g5 out.

iJon

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

10. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

We're all praying for you and hoping for the best. If you want to talk to someone about it, my father is home for about two weeks right now (Finally got some actual leave) and would be more than willing to chat with you. Again, best of luck and God bless.

11. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Yup when I get home that will be my first purchase, a G5. It will be interesting to see what they have at the time. Looking at my current bills the little I will spend while I am there and what I will make for pay...I think G5 and cinema display won't even touch the account.

Ryme4reson, you are right a person can't be that upset because when you sign the papers one must understand what he or she is getting into. I have been in over 8 years now and have been lucky all this time, one day it was going to come, so as we say in the military, "suck it up and drive on" I like the guys I am going with and will do the best job i can. I have 32 guys under me so I have to do what I can to take care of them and make sure we all get back safe.

Now the worse part is waiting for the actual activation and the date. Some think it will be right after Christmas, but who knows. At this point I am just preparing and I am sure within a few days or a week or two I will know. Just going to get my stuff in order and enjoy myself for the time left here. I have to remember too, being a single guy with no kids there are guys under me with wives and kids and what it will be like for them.

12. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Well, the best of luck. Be very careful. Actually, a year, in the grand scheme of things, is a very short period of time.

idea_hamster: You spent a year in that godforsaken hellhole? Wait a minute...that's where I am. ;)

Squire

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good luck man.... Take a copy of Allison Krauss and Union Station's "Bright Sunny South" with you on that iPod.

"...said my kind hearted father as he took my hand/ As you go in defense of our dear native land/ Son be brave but show mercy whenever you can/ Our hearts will be with you/ 'Til you return again..."

And my thanks for putting yourself on the line for those of us back home.

14. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Here's hoping that you have a safe tour of duty. I have a cousin over there and I can only imagine how tough it must be to come to terms with actually going over there, to war.

All the best for you and all of our boys over there.

15. electric macrumors regular

Hopefully you wont need to be activated, hopefully things will get better over there. I read your post and got weepy, my nephew and his wife are both in the Air Force and they too might leave at any time. I wish you safety and you are in my prayers as well.

Thomas

16. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

If you see any problem just run Forest, run!

Man, I would like to go to war but the reason of this one in particular is stupid, it is because of oil actually.

You are gonna be alright, learn as much as you can, you will come back as a more wiser and humble person.

We are about to start a civil war in my country all the time, and is there when you realize that you are fighting for something bigger than you, that you are just an instrument of life and your life will keep the life of others. In your case there is not that value in this war, this is more cheap than Vietnam I think.

But, a man have to do what a man have to do. You are doing a brave thing in your personal life. For sure no one will recognize that in your future but life is just one and we have only one chance to learn the best and the worst of everything.

Thanx God you have an specific deal line of a year, many people in the world doesn't have any choice at all. There are wars with no endings for anybody, there are fighters with no way to go.

This is about your spirit, do your best and be sure many people will be just right behind you, you will not be alone.

Good luck.

17. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Re: I'm getting sent to Iraq

I repeat all the good sentiments already expressed.

As an ex-Marine (1967-1970) 2 tours in Viet Nam, it's smart to be scared, it keeps you alert and alive. If you are giving orders and thinking, make sure one of your sergeants is LISTENING (not to you) and LOOKING around as your bodyguard. Pay good attention to your 6th sense. You'll be alright, it's more dangerous on an L.A. freeway.

Take your iBook and an iSight, have a .Mac account so you can drop digital photos on it and give us your Public address.
    Think about trading up to a new G4 iBook or a G4 PowerBook before you leave - have an AirPort Express card inside and order with BlueTooth installed (iBook, especially) and some extra RAM.

:cool: There's an excellent article "POWERBOOK DESERT SURVIVAL" on page 12 in Nov02 issue of MacAddict by some U.S. ARMY grunts in Iraq explaining how they kept their laptops protected from the powdered sugar fine "sand" (plastic bags) and padding for protection. Be sure to READ it. (not available online)

For portability, 12"? I like the Canon i70 mobile printer with optional battery, and take a ream of 24# paper and some blank CDs along. You probably don't need a scanner, but if you want a great $79 USB CanoScan, thin and lightweight, the Canon LiDE30 is excellent (2 higher quality models and only a little more expensive are also super).

Our prayers go with you. Ask Command about internet and wireless access (AirPort?), broadband?

If you need a MacBuddy, there are several thousand on the forums with a Mac, an iSight, and iChatAV. Smile...:D
    Just ask, and lots of us will be happy to share our AIM or .Mac iChatAV name.

God be with you. :)

And while you are waiting, think about how your feelings are presented to your students concerning this situation. My brother (a year apart) and I idolized our 8th grade teacher, and what he said was like from the very lips of God. He was always well planned and humorous.

One more thing, Doggy, 1600 hours is when the little hand is pointing to the 4, and the big hand... :rolleyes:

18. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

as far as I know there is no internet access on army stations, but i am not really sure about that. as for pictures, I think not;)

19. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Good luck Abercrombieboy! And my prayers will be with you.

I just listened to a speech given by a returning reservist. He is the son of a prominent judge and is a lawyer himself. I don't think he expected that they would ever call him. His job was to make sure that the rules on engagement were followed to the letter. And to make sure that U.S. Soldiers followed every international law governing war. He said that our guys were very careful in obeying the laws. He said there were some really good men and women over there.

20. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I know I tried to help some people with some pics from their kid who was stationed in Afghanistan. But he had put them into this presentation program that was proprietary to the US Army. I even contacted my Brother-in-law to see if he could open and extract them, but he works with the Air force and they don't use that program.

I don't know if he was supposed to send the pics or not, but it really didn't matter since I couldn't get them opened. :(

(Hey don't the Navy Seals have good internet connections so they can kick on-line gamer butt? ;) :p)

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for your service Abercrombieboy. I know that I would feel the same way if I were in your shoes. Our freedom is not free, all through our history men and women have been willing to put there life on the line to protect that freedom. I served in the USAFR from 1974 to 1990. Two years of that was active duty. I was very proud to serve, and still feel proud. Retired as a Captain.

22. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I have much respect for your position and I'm proud to know that decent people are representing our country in the mid-east. We'll all be thinking of you. Take care and keep us posted, when you can.

On a happy note, you'll come back a stronger and more disciplined individual. Here's to your safe return!

Dan

23. rjrufo macrumors regular

Abercrombieboy,
    Keep your chin up, and your head down, and most of all, stay safe.

As someone mentioned, my iChat name is the same as my user name here on MR, so if you are bored and want to chat, send an IM.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Good luck and stay safe, man. And remember, when in doubt, duck. ;)

Lethal