I'm getting sick of High School...

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Dec 9, 2003.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I enjoy high school thouroughly, but lots of things about it are starting to get on my nerves.
    • I can't go for 10 minutes without hearing someone call someone/something 'gay'... Nowhere in the dictionary is gay defined as 'bad'. That really annoys me. During the first week of freshman year I met a Korean guy who had moved to the US recently named Jae. I had to explain to him why people were calling everything gay... He told me how a parent would never put up with hearing their child speak like that in Korea.
    • I know people who are acing all their classes, yet they don't learn a thing. Most High Schoolers learn how to flow with the system to where they can get an A in a class, and not do any work what-so-ever. They are going to walk out of school dumb as a bag of nails, yet they are going to get into a college they don't deserve to get into. Meanwhile, it will be harder for me to get into that same college because I actually do my work, don't cheat on tests, and I listen to my teachers.
    • 50% of high school students are disrespectful and unappreciative. 90% of the disrespectful, unappreciative people are males. Its amazing how a student can just blow a teacher off. A teacher who sacrifices his/her time and talents to teach this kid what they need to know to be succesful in life! That is so rude:mad:! Teachers should get paid twice as much as they do, considering what they have to put up with from kids who don't care about anything except what their peers think about them.
    • I can barely stand the males at my school. I swear - I have trouble finding any mature males at all. They all are inconsiderate, mean, and ungracious. All I want is someone to have an intellegent conversation with! Unfortunately, the guys at my school think they have to be macho. It would not be very good for their social standings to be seen talking about philosophy, or even about computers. Conversations are almost confined to being about girls, how much school sucks, how much teacher suck, how much homework sucks, what social gatherings happened, what so and so did to so and so, or basic gossip about other people. I would love to have more guy friends, but there are very few I can stand.
    • I'm sick of labels. Everyone in high school is under some kind of label. I'd fall under 'geek'. Well, most people don't know that I'm into computers, but I don't reveal a lot about myself to most people. My friends (9/10 = girls) are all under the 'goody-two-shoes, school-aholics' label. Jae, the friend I mentioned early, is under the 'foreign' label. Why can't people see past petty things like where a person was born and see that we are all the same.
    • I'm sick of the fact that guys are expected to be roudy and full of testosterone. It makes me sick to watch some of the guys at my school. One, Omid, feels that he has to drive through the school parking lot at 100 mph, with his head out the window. What ever happened to looking through the windshield? I wish guys would just drop all this macho-****... What is so wrong with having feelings? What is the point in hiding your feelings? What is the point in sticking your head out the window and driving fast? Omid better enjoy all his admirers while he is in High School, because eventually his immaturity will not be perceived as 'coolness'.
    • I'm sick of not having any freedom. I can learn the material if I just listen to the teacher. Other students feel they have to talk the whole period, so the teacher feels they have to assign homework so the talkers can learn what they refused to learn in class. What the teacher doesn't understand is that I already know it, so the homework does nothing but waste my time, and that the talkers will only copy off one another and won't learn it anyways. My ideal teacher would make homework optional, would teach everything we needed to know in class, and would not keep the irresponsible people from talking during class or from not doing their homework. He/she can fail the class. He/she earned that grade. (It also annoys me when people say 'Mr./Mrs. so and so failed me'. WTF does that mean? Everyone is responsible for the grade they get, with a few exceptions.)
    • I'm so tired of some of the guys I know (but don't consider my close friends) thinking I am strange because I don't drink or do drugs... Ive heard statistics that 96% of my school drinks. I wouldn't be suprised at all... We are a bunch of rich white kids with nothing better to do. I'd rather stay sober and keep some of my dignity...
    Well, as you can see, I'm basically just sick of all the immaturity I see at high school, most of it coming for males.

But I don't want to come off as hating high school. I love school, and I look forward to it every day (well, maybe not every day, but most of them). I am just annoyed that there are some things that people could easily change to make high school a more enjoyable place for everyone.

Are any other high schoolers ready to get out of highschool into a (hopefully) more mature college environment?

scem0

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

high school was hell. i moved the **** out of that town, and my parent's house ASAP and haven't been happier. high school tries desperately to make you conform to the ideal that they think will let you survive, without taking into account the chance at greatness. but, once you're graduated and out of there for a while, you will see things differently... you'll still hate it, but you'll understand much more of what was really going on, since the emotional aspect is removed.

i hate my HS to this day, but i hate many of my teachers much less. i also wish i had done things much differently... i'm just not sure how. ah well, regrets serve no purpose.

edit: i agree with pretty much everything you said, but don't be so quick to judge
    drugs and drinking. you're only a kid once ;)

pnw

3. NP3 macrumors regular

Hey,

I agree with you all the way....

there are two different kinds of people:
    1. Stupid people that get straight A's in high school but can't even carry on a conversation.

2. The people who do above average in school, nothing spectacular, but have real world skills to do well in the world...such as talking, debating, being their own person, etc....

I go to a VERY "smart" school where everybody cheats and cuts corners to get the grade. I think this is complete BS...what's the point? You're not actually learning anything...and you end up not having a life...when we try to have debates on current issues and stuff, the question always pops up in the AP classes....
    "Will this be on the test?"

If yes, they take notes, if not, they go to sleep. GGRRR

Ahh yes...the macho males with their mommy and daddy's nice cars. Don't worry about them. By the age of 25, they will either be dead, or working for YOU. :)

I feel your pain...i can't wait to get out...i've been doing college apps and visiting places...oh man, i just can't wait...

I totally agree with your decision to stay sober...i think drugs and alcohol are a waste of time. Just make sure you pick the right college!

4. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

College doesn't get too much better, at least for me.

I'm currently a junior/senior at a state university, which has the reputation of being the state's 4 year technical college (great fun), and there is much of the same going on. The nice thing is that many times a lot of the rowdy people calm down when they don't have their friends to impress or to egg them on.

Plus, alcohol isn't as big of a deal, since half of the students are old enough to do so legally, although "going out (drinking)" is the topic of conversation all day Wednesday and Thursday. But there are some neat people at colllege, and I've made some good friends and had good times.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Re: I'm getting sick of High School...

• I can't go for 10 minutes without hearing someone call someone/something 'gay'... Nowhere in the dictionary is gay defined as 'bad'. That really annoys me. During the first week of freshman year I met a Korean guy who had moved to the US recently named Jae. I had to explain to him why people were calling everything gay... He told me how a parent would never put up with hearing their child speak like that in Korea.

• Don't ask about that. For some reason saying things like that became as common place as saying "cool".
    • I know people who are acing all their classes, yet they don't learn a thing. Most High Schoolers learn how to flow with the system to where they can get an A in a class, and not do any work what-so-ever. They are going to walk out of school dumb as a bag of nails, yet they are going to get into a college they don't deserve to get into. Meanwhile, it will be harder for me to get into that same college because I actually do my work, don't cheat on tests, and I listen to my teachers.

• Same here man. You win some and you lose some. The real trick is not care about what they do, because ultimately if you just work your hardest things will fall into place. Regardless of what people think, going to a great college does not automatically mean you are an individual capable of doing well in the real world.

Just so you know, a moderate portion of those people who "float by" end up in a community college by the end of their freshman year :).
    • 50% of high school students are disrespectful and unappreciative. 90% of the disrespectful, unappreciative people are males. Its amazing how a student can just blow a teacher off. A teacher who sacrifices his/her time and talents to teach this kid what they need to know to be succesful in life! That is so rude:mad:!

• I don't know where those statistics came from, but I wouldnt be all that surprised if they were not far from the truth. Some teachers are incompetent and/or deserve to be treated badly because they abuse their positions of power, but the others really do deserve as much respect as is possible to be given.
    • Teachers should get paid twice as much as they do, considering what they have to put up with from kids who don't care about anything except what their peers think about them.

• AGREED!!
    • I can barely stand the males at my school. I swear - I have trouble finding any mature males at all. They all are inconsiderate, mean, and ungracious. All I want is someone to have an intellegent conversation with! Unfortunately, the guys at my school think they have to be macho. It would not be very good for their social standings to be seen talking about philosophy, or even about computers. Conversations are almost confined to being about girls, how much school sucks, how much teacher suck, how much homework sucks, what social gatherings happened, what so and so did to so and so, or basic gossip about other people. I would love to have more guy friends, but there are very few I can stand.

• Its the trademark character of our age group. Being stupid is cool and therefore cool [worthless] conversation is cool. I found that exhausting my high tolerence for intellectual conversation in my classes helps me to tolerate and even participate in the "cool" conversation, even though I dont always have much to add.
    • I'm sick of labels. Everyone in high school is under some kind of label. I'd fall under 'geek'. Well, most people don't know that I'm into computers, but I don't reveal a lot about myself to most people. My friends (9/10 = girls) are all under the 'goody-two-shoes, school-aholics' label. Jae, the friend I mentioned early, is under the 'foreign' label. Why can't people see past petty things like where a person was born and see that we are all the same.

• Because people have to make themselves feel superior over others. The subordinated people follow the lead of the others and therefore names are passed. Nothing can be done. I could be classified as a geek as well, but Im not because I dont let people. But it sure comes out when someone's computer is broken.
    • I'm sick of the fact that guys are expected to be roudy and full of testosterone. It makes me sick to watch some of the guys at my school. One, Omid, feels that he has to drive through the school parking lot at 100 mph, with his head out the window. What ever happened to looking through the windshield? I wish guys would just drop all this macho-****... What is so wrong with having feelings? What is the point in hiding your feelings? What is the point in sticking your head out the window and driving fast? Omid better enjoy all his admirers while he is in High School, because eventually his immaturity will not be perceived as 'coolness'.

• Us men are naturally prone to that kind of stuff. Im guilty of it. No one isnt. Its a fact of life.
    • *taken out because its a personal rant*

• Are any other high schoolers ready to get out of highschool into a (hopefully) more mature college environment?

• Yep.

7. Harry K. macrumors member

I do quite enjoy my high school. I'm a junior now though. But great students, great teachers. Great classes.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

we all do... i made a switcher out of mine ;) :D

anyway... hang in there buddy- half a year left- it'll fly... just don't let all the negatives jade the way you remember the great friends that you do have... old friends are always the best:)

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Dude, I guess thats part of being in highschool. Its a stage in life.

I don't see how going out and drinking means you have less dignity. I drink maybe once every 2 or 3 weekends just because that is the only thing to do, and i enjoy it.

My friends dad lets him have parties, and he has a sweet house. Its fun to have people over, put on music and hang out.

I agree with you on the gay thing, that gets annoying.

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Re: I'm getting sick of High School...

Yeah I hear you. It was only four years ago that I was in high school, and it was all just a big popularity contest. I'm glad for you that at least you enjoy going, despite some of the people you have to attend with. For the most part, I didn't like high school at all. The only reason I looked forward to going at all was my Photo class, where I at least got to hang out with friends and do something I liked.

So true!

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

GAHH!!

That rant like describes my experience here at college almost completely. Of course, I'm at Northwest Missouri State, a cheap state university out in the friggin middle of nowhere, so even if people did have a life, you might not notice.

Donations to send stoid to a better school are being accepted daily, E-Mail me at S246534@mail.nwmissouri.edu or PM me here if you've found this wad of cash somewhere and need a great place to spend it!

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

There are plenty of brilliant people who get great scores and learn a lot...I've met many of them. And some of them do ask, "Will this be on the test?" You know, sometimes you've got to be practical. It's great to learn a lot extra, and you should, but with time pressure for a test coming up, you need to study what you'll be tested on. It's simple common sense.

And college often does separate true intelligence from faux intelligence. You'll find that unless you're among the most brilliant, nothing substitutes hard work, good study skills, and a bit of common sense as to what to focus on for the exam. Then, you can show your real curiosity and interest in a subject by talking to professors during office hours, getting involved in independent study, and doing independent research. But college can be Hell, as my two final exams tomorrow will demonstrate to me clearly.

13. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I think of myself as a responsible individual, but even I don't trust myself to know when I've crossed the line and have gotten too drunk for my safety and the safety of the people around me.

I just think I'd be less happy about myself if I went out every weekend and got drunk with the rest of the guys at my school.

I'm not saying you shouldn't party. But if you have to have alcohol to have a party then you might as well just drink alone in your room.

scem0

14. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Hehe, I see what you mean.

I don't always like to party with alcohol.

Its fun to have people over and just watch some movies and stuff.

15. Edot macrumors 6502

Sick of High School

I agree with everything you have said, and was in the same position as you, being the one realizing this. However, at my school there were a handful of guys/girls that saw and thought the same things. It was quite comical sitting back and watching the whole thing play out in high school. Good thing both of my parents are teachers, so I can help to remedy the situation. They also would agree with most of what you have to say. It's mainly the parents of the students and sometimes the administration that is making things hard to change.

16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I need a girl...period.

Ah, we have a blooming socialite! Congrats, MA. Just keep that sucking of the sauce to its current levels, lest it start becoming detrimental to your football/baseball performance.

For myself, I can't drink. Alcohol sensativity. ZING!

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry when you grow up and graduate, the labels and slurs get really insulting.

Imagine being called a "Democrat" -- ugly insult/label indeed. :p

18. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Haha, with the gay thing, I just asked the offender to describe want he/she meant by "gay". I asked questions like, "Ah so that movie was gay huh? So... like... if it found movies of the same gender it would be attracted to them?... and maybe try to have sex with them? Yeah that is pretty weird." or like, "Ah, a gay party? So... like... it was happy? Like you had a good time? But you say 'gay' like it's a bad thing? I would think that a happy good party would be a good thing. Hmm." And then walk away. Every once in awhile you'll find that the person is actually intelligent enough to understand what you just said.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

From current experience, I wouldn't say that it's much better in a college.

You get the people who's biggest deal is to interrupt class to see how it upsets people.

I've had some instructors who should be taking classes, not giving them.

The night classes seem to be better than the day classes simply because there are more people over 25 who are working full time jobs and want results from their money.

I'm impressed with the students in my graphics classes as far as talent goes, but if they were in a work environment, they wouldn't last long.

Make the best of it. You can't go back to high school.

20. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

High school was great. You'd better enjoy it, because it dont get much better.

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

man! college from place to place is so different...where do you go to school? I know here, the professors are brilliant (if jerks, sometimes), the students are pretty interested in their studies (sure, you have occassional slacker), and no one ever disrupts class.

22. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

My high school was like that too. I just had a close group of friends that helped keep each other sane. As for the 'stoners' and the 'drunks', the idiots speeding through the parking lot at 100mph, and the people who think they can do whatever they want because they're 'popular', well, they go to the no-name colleges, if they go to any at all. Half of them stayed at the local community college, and still party with high school students. Quite a majority of the idiots at my school never actually applied or went to college. They just found a McJob, and are learning the hard way how though life really is.

My friends and I, on the other hand, applied ourself, and got into respectful universities (The University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University, LSU, etc.), or are at smaller private schools, or are trying to transfer into a bigger university to get out of the 'high school' colleges they were able to get into. Not that there's anything wrong with smaller, less known universities, but the atmosphere at many of them is just like high school (for those in Texas, does UTSA, or Texas State (formerly SWT) ring a bell?)

I'd just say work hard, and make sure you're able to get into a good university where you won't have to put up with that high school attitude 24/7. While there is quite a bit of that high school attitude at every university, it's easy to ignore it, and find friends who are interested in learning, and are going somewhere with their lives.

Just stick with it, and you'll survive. Trust me...

23. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Haha college is 100x better than high school. Being able to do his own work and make choice is exactly what scem0 wants.

to bousozoku:
    I don't realyl experience that at my university. I also don't think my professors/TA would be afraid to throw some one out of a class for being a jerk . I'm confident that for some of my classes liek psych 100 and spanish 3, it doesn't take a professor to explain the topics ....

as for all the drunk comments, when you will probably drink atleast a few times and enjoy it. Sure you might yak once or twice but for the msot part drinking in college is social. And for the most part thats what college parties are for and about. Now of course you can make it all the way thru college without drinking if you choose too but theres really no point in that .... my floor took a bunch fo girls that are friends from the floor above us to the bars and played a few drinking games ... needless to say we got to watch them really hammered and give them crap about it for the next few days.

24. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Dormitories, simultaneously the best and worst thing for colleges. yes, it allows students to live on campus conveniently and help freshmen adjust to living away from their parents, but it is also and opportunity for stupidity and insolence to breed, Right now we are supposed to be having a 23 hour quiet time to help students study for finals, but no one seems to care. When an RA final does have to come out and tell people to shut-up they simply chuckle and continue being loud and obnoxious. Seth, Dan, if you are reading this please, for the sake of my sanity, SHUTUP!

25. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Just for the record... all this stoner bashing... i'm pretty much a stoner and went to two colleges (two degress) and I have my own small business. :) So yea... we stoners can do a-ok.