I'm going away - iMac isn't!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dagless, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm off to Spain for 10 days on Sunday. I'm leaving my iMac here, powered up to record all my TV shows whilst away. Just wondering if any of you guys do this and if you have any techniques?

I'm thinking about having the iMac boot up/shut down on schedule and EyeTV to not boot up the Live TV window to save on the GPU kicking in and wasting power. I also need my external HDD on, as it's 300gb and my TV drive. It gets a little warm from time to time. I'm thinking of standing this up on it's side to allow it to run cooler.

Tips anyone? :)

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I wouldn't do anything special really, just leave it be and it should be fine. I never shut down my iMac. You could just set the screen to sleep and not worry about it.

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

4. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

It *should* be fine. If it were a PC on the otherhand I'd be worried. I'm scared to leave my PC on overnight without getting hacked or a virus :eek: :rolleyes: !

5. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

You could have in the schedule that after it opens the software to do a hide window. That should let it run the program and not have the window open dragging away from your GPU.

Kevin

6. ddekker macrumors regular

Leave it on

Just leave it on should be no troubles, I use an old imac for serving music to my Tivo and run home automation, its been on 24/7 for heck I don't know, more than a year, no worries...

DD

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

This is all excellent! and seeing the house won't be heated, and with temperatures dropping I won't have to worry about it overheating either, I suppose!

Now... fingers crossed EyeTV or my HDD don't lock up. that'd be a disaster!

8. ddekker macrumors regular

9. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

If your still worried about it locking up, you could hire me to sit your iMac, for a minimal fee + airfares...

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm impressed. The machine performed beautifully. My mums Emmerdale Omnibus didn't record but both EyeTV, iMac and the external HDD did well. I can trust my machine now :D

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

how ridiculous.

12. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I agree...but you cant be too careful with Windows!:(