I'm going to buy an iPod tomorrow, am I a fool?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by LaMerVipere, Feb 1, 2005.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I am at the breaking point, I can't take it anymore, my mini is great but I just need more storage...I'm sure I'll be kicking myself when the 5G is announced in like a month, with twice the storage and a colour screen, but, what are ya gonna do?

2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: I'm going to buy an iPod tomorrow, am I a fool?

I always like questions like this, because the answer is quite obvious. :p

If you have to ask...

But, as with all items in life, if the current product meets your needs (and you need it now) then buy it.

However if you always need to have the newest product on the block, you are most likely a weak minded fool, with more money than brains. Break free of peer pressure and be your own man. ;)

4. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

Color screens will not be a part of the regular iPods for the next revision. And I can't see them jumping to more than 30GB for the lower end model.

There are some rumors that the new iPod is due in the summer, looking more like the Mac mini with the aluminum. It doesn't sound like anything to wait around for.

5. LaMerVipere thread starter macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

As a sidenote, does anyone know how many iPods you're allowed to buy per year using your student discount?

I bought my mini in September, so I hope they still let me get the discount when I buy my 20GB tomorrow. :confused:

6. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

As far as I recall, when accessing the online education store, iPods are not even listed in the limited quantity agreement... I thought it was just desktops, portables, software and displays. I could be wrong.

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

There is no limit. My wife and I upgraded our 2G iPods to a 20GB 3G and 40GB 3G (both refurbs) early last year. When the 4G's came out we sold our 3G's and ordered a 4G 40GB and a Blue iPod Mini (both with EDU discounts). When the iPod Photo came out I sold the 4G and bought a 40GB iPod Photo (with the EDU discount). So we bought 3 iPods in around 6 months in 2004 with the student discount.

I believe you can only buy 1 computer per academic year though. I believe the academic year ends at the end of every June.

8. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Taken from the edu store (Canada one mind you, might be different in US):
    Eligible purchasers will be allowed to purchase one each of the following per academic school year: PowerBook or iBook; iMac; eMac; Power Macintosh G4 or G5; iPod. Two Displays and two copies of each software title on the Apple Store for Higher Education Individuals.
    It's actually a fair bit of stuff that you can get discounted - up to 4 different computers on the discount. Considering how big the drop is, it's amazing there isn't a bigger (ie: one computer a year) restriction. Although I'm not sure that they even check it...

9. LaMerVipere thread starter macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

Hmm, I hope they don't. When I bought my mini they took my Student I.D. and asked for my telephone number, so I hope tomorrow when I go there they aren't all "whoops! our records show you bought an iPod mini in September, you're limited to only one per year for edu discount, soooorry."

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I believe you can only buy 1 iPod per academic year. However, seeing as how the academic year is considered over in July by Apple, if you buy one in April 2005, and another in August 2005, you're fine. Its just an example, but you get my point.

And I'm pretty confident that the academic discount can only be used to purchase 1 desktop per year (PM, iMac, or eMac), 1 laptop (PB or iBook), and 1 iPod per academic year (July 2004 to June 31st 2005)

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

pffft yes, just buy it!
    Uggg am I the only one who finds post of this nature really annoying?
    Let's do a quick run down of the iPod...
    It's the best damned mp3 player out there, most people(like 95% of owners) can get a an iPod that will hold their ENTIRE music collection.
    Even if apple came out with a 100 gig iPod tommoro that plays movies and can pick lottery #'s I'm still happy with my 4g 40gb model because it does exaclty what it needs, let's me lug around all my music so I don't have to run around the house trying to find CD's.

No matter which iPod you get(with possible exception of the shuffle) you'll be happy. Don't worry if it's not the "best" and greatest iPod on the market, it still blows other mp3 players outta the water.

12. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

pffft, your signature says it all, I think :p

andy.

13. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

That would be a real shame – part of the beauty and the uniqueness of the ipod is it's unusal white and silver casing.

Turning aluminium would just cheapen the look and lose some of its allure.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You might as well just spring for the 40GB version if space is so limited on your mini. I mean for only $100 more, you get double the HD space from the initial price of $300.

15. efoto macrumors 68030

Although you could argue that ONLY $100 is a deal for double the storage, but if you only have 10-20Gb of music, why "waste" $100?

I know that an iPod can act as a HD as well, so a tiny 40Gb would be sweet, but really the main function is music, so buy enough to hold your music.

16. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Also, the 40GB is much thicker then the 20GB so that might factor into the decision.

17. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    fool for waiting so long!!! hehe jk

just buy u will be happy :)

18. efoto macrumors 68030

I was a fool! I could have benefitted from months using it by now, which I would arguably give up the new features for that.

I am however excited about a few of the new features, the cheaper pricetag, and the fact that the price and everything allowed me to afford a superdrive as well. I was looking at paying the exact same price for an 80Gb combo just weeks ago, so its cool I guess considering new SMS and trackpad.

Moral of the story, if you need it then get it now. If you want it, still get it now because even though you could afford to wait....you really don't want to in retrospect.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You shouldn't belittle yourself. If you have a need for the iPod, then it wouldn't be wrong. No matter what happens in the future, you will have the enjoyment during your time of ownership. I hope that you will be happy with your decision.

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

Technically, you're buying a different product - mini vs. "standard" - so I would think the restriction wouldn't really matter.

And just get it. Sure, the price may drop, the HD may get bigger, they may add built-in teleportation applications... If it does what you need, buy it.