I'm going to China!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puckhead193, Apr 25, 2006.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I leave for China on May 15th with my school. Here are some of the things we will be doing:

Beijing:
    Tiannmen Square/forbidden city
    Chinese history museum
    Chinese aerobics show
    Great Wall
    Ming Tombs
    Friendship hospital
    Beihai park
    Summer Palace
    China Custom Square Gofu show
    Haven temple
    Chinese art street
    Hutong Tour
    Chinese opera
    Taichi lesion
    Beijing zoo

Xian:
    Provincial museum
    Tang Dinesty dancing show
    Terracotta Warriors horses museum
    Huaqing Hot springs
    Banpo Neolithic Village
    City Wall

Shanghai:
    Boat tour in Huangpu River
    Zhouzhuang village (East Venice)
    Oriental Pearl Tower
    Shanghai Museum
    Yu Yuan Garden
    Fudan University
    Nanjing Road

What can I expect from these places? Anything I should know before I go? What’s the weather like there during May? How about money and banks? How much should be sufficient (it’s a two week trip) What should I buy as gifts/souvenirs? Any foods/drinks I should try? What is the food like in China? I know its not like the US.

Also what about power adaptors? I am 99% sure I will be bringing my powerbook what adaptors do I need? Also I’m flying Air China, what’s that airline like? Does any know if they have those power outlets in the armrests? Anyone use the Kensington Travel Adapter? What about the Kensington Airline in-seat power cord? Also how good are those zip-cord things? I think I’ll get an Ethernet one to connect in hotels/dorms. Also I need something to charge my digital camera batteries (Nikon 8800)

Also cell phones, since I have verizon (CDMA) it won’t work in China. What is the best way to call home? Did anyone use verizon service for traveling (GSM)?

Also on a side note I don’t think a 1GB card will be enough? I currently have a lexar professional 80x card (compacted flash) Is their anything better? Do you think I should get another 1 GB card or get a 2GB and get rid of 1GB card I have now?

Any other tips or suggestions?

2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Bring your 5g iPod and get this.

edit: nevermind, just reread your post, 1 gig will probably be enough for one day if your bringing your PB.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

i was looking at this but i plan* on doing a web page using iWeb and updating it with pictures/blog, how will that work? If i put pictures on iweb don't they need to be on the HD or can i plug in my ipod and the pictures would upload from my ipod?:confused:

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

The pictures will import into iPhoto from the iPod.

Also, this is always an option if you NEED a cell phone. It is very expensive though.

5. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Leave as much of your tech behind and just enjoy the trip?

Seriously, I'd leave the PB and phone behind and focus on taking just camera and maybe an iPod. The trip is really short for you to experience the three regions you are visiting, so minimize the distractions while you are there and just be there.

B

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

They aren't taking y'all to the new Hooters in Shanghai? Now that just isn't cool :p

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The best option would be to borrow a GSM phone from a friend or your parents or something, but if this isn't possible, you're better off buying a mobile phone when in China rather than pay heaps in America to rent a phone.

And are you flying with China Air/China Airlines, or is there another airline called Air China that you're flying with? Sorry, but those names just sound so similar. :eek: I've never heard of Air China, but I'd imagine that it's similar to China Airlines, and the only thing I can say about China Airlines is that the food is good even for a "cheaper" airline. For breakfast, they gave me a choice of a typical "western" (ie: boring) breakfast, which probably included eggs or an omlette of some sort, sausage, a bread roll and some strawberry jelly. The other option was noodles. I took the noodles, and boy did I enjoy it. :D This was 2 years ago and I still remember it, so you can imagine how good it tasted. :p They gave me a little tray of noodles, and a packet of sauce. I put the sauce into the noodles and stirred, and I can't believe how happy I was to choose that instead of the crappy western style breakfast that's a dime a dozen where you come from.

From this rambling, I do have a point. :p Here's a tip from someone who has been to China and dozens of other places: If you have a choice between a safe "western style" menu, and a chinese menu full of unfamiliar things, choose the unfamiliar. Sure, I am chinese, so it's not all unfamiliar in terms of taste, but you didn't go to China to have eggs, bacon, and toast.

9. cruxed macrumors regular

cruxed

You aren't coming to Hong Kong?! BLASPHEMY!

Anyways, I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip. Shanghai is a fast modernizing city.

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Have fun on your trip to China. Sounds like an awesome opportunity! :)

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Just out of curiousity, do you have to get any immunizations/shots for your trip?

Sounds neat - congrats. :)

12. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I know I too was shocked when we weren't going to Hong Kong... o well i'm still young

yea i got a hepatitis A shot. The thing with that shot is that you need a double dose from 6 months after the original so you need to plan in advance if you want to be fully immune.

13. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

The situation with the hepatitus shot sucks, but if you can, definitely get both injections. If not, still get the one, it will still work, but won't be as effective.

Be a slave to your camera - anything it needs, get it. This is a wonderful opportunity, don't waste a second. China can be beautiful at night, don't forget to take night time photos.

Food...you'll no doubt try dim sum. Try to find English translations of the dishes. They are nothing like the appetizers you get in US Chinese restaurants. Avoid fish balls. If the waiter offers you "chicken fingers," politely decline (chickens don't have fingers....)

Haagen Daz is a great way to get a bad taste out of your mouth.

14. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Yea i got the first round... Didn't hurt that much.... are chicken fingers in China like chicken feet :confused:

15. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Bingo!
    ...and according to my wife, you're supposed to gnaw on them, not eat them whole.

And I'm not allowed to ever say "she is not willing to try new foods."

16. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

anyone have an idea about the power situation?
    Also any ideas on souvenirs/gifts? I don't think i can bring home a ming dynasty vase....

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Chicken fingers are really their feet, so no fingers, only "toes." I thought everyone knew that, though. It's just a name. We eat it anyway.

Anyway, I don't know why you'd want to avoid fish balls. Fish balls are incredible in Hong Kong --- probably the best I've had. Good texture. They'd probably be great in places like Beijing as well, but I forget.

18. rumbletum macrumors regular

I'm in the UK, but my wife is Chinese so I go there quite regularly to visit the inlaws - I'm pretty sure the power adaptors are similar to yours, but I remember most homes seem to have two different styles. A two prong socket like you have in the US, and a three prong one, similar in design (but a different size) to what we use in the UK.

Foodwise, just try everything you can, and ask what it is after you've eaten it. Look closely at everything, as I only noticed I was eating half a neatly chopped in two ducks head when I was part through it :D

19. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I was reading foders and saw that at some places you can't take pictures. like in Xian at the terra-cotta soldiers. Anyone know anything about this? I've seen "tourist" pictures of them before...
    Anyone one have any other insides before i go?

20. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I was reading foders and saw that at some places you can't take pictures. like in Xian at the terra-cotta soldiers. Anyone know anything about this? I've seen "tourist" pictures of them before...

edit -don't know why it double posted mods delete

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Hopefully, some strong antibiotics will clear that right up.

22. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

opps:eek:
    *lesson

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Just picking on you because I'm envious. ;)

It sounds like you're going to have a great time. :D

24. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    food is dirt cheap
    i prefer shanghai food to beijing cuisine
    more flavorful and spicy

dont be afraid to try odd items like chicken feet, or bull frog

25. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

anyone use an incase sleeve for traveling? I bought one cause i don't think i'm going to use my brethaven bag and the sleeve on that is really thick. The incase one is much smaller/lighter but does it offer the protection i need?

(wut happened to the mega-thread on the cases/sleeves, i thought it was a sticky) :confused: